OT Internet security,need opinion

Old October 11th 05, 10:24 PM
teleflora

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
We have 2 desktop PCs and DH's laptop which runs off the same server here
at
home and we use Norton (one subscription covers all three) and we have not
had any problems at all. Love it.

I downloaded my PAID subscription to Norton and they won't let me d/l it to
my laptop. Said I have to buy another "copy".

Did you buy it off the shelf or from their website?

Mine is getting ready to expire and I was thinking about Grisoft. Norton
has caused some problems for me.

Cindy

Old October 11th 05, 11:04 PM
Listpig

In addition to that, particularly for any connection that's up 24/7:
FIREWALL, FIREWALL, FIREWALL.

Virus finders and spyware blockers ain't much help on a hacked computer,
since that's the first thing hackers disable.

http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html

--pig

On 10/11/05 12:38, in article , "Donna in
Idaho" remove spam wrote:

I have wireless internet and since I'm connected all the time, I want to
have as much virus and spyware protection as possible.

Old October 11th 05, 11:13 PM
nana2b

Thank you all for all the suggestions. The network is encrypted and I have
a firewall in place too. I went with the Norton again, because I am
familiar with its workings. I also have Spyware and adware stoppers. It is
too bad we have to put up so many barriers against the "bad guys".

Linda

Old October 11th 05, 11:29 PM
Sharon Harper

We bought it from the website I believe. There is some way you can get it
to your laptop as well, we went to their help people.

quicker)

Old October 12th 05, 06:51 PM
Paul & Suzie Beckwith

My new laptop is supposed to be a wireless connection (but isn't, so I
have a PCMCIA card and a broadband router - but thats another story!)
and the network flatly refused to work with Norton Anti-Virus - my
desktop runs Norton fine but the laptop refused it bigtime...

So- ZoneAlarm, Grisoft AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware are all downloaded on
the laptop and things are fine!

Until last night, when both the desktop and laptop decided they needed
an update from ZoneAlarm - and promptly took the network out... that was
a nasty 40 minutes trying to find out what was wrong and why...

Suzie B
--
"From the internet connection under the (undamaged end of the) pier!"
Southend, UK

Old October 12th 05, 09:09 PM
nana2b

Hi Suzie, I had to remove Zone Alarm from my laptop because it caused all
kinds of problems. I have the firewall up, the Norton Anti-Virus, a Spyware
program and all I have to do is make sure the DSL is encrypted. I am pretty
certain it is. Linda

Old October 12th 05, 11:38 PM
Donna in Idaho

Zone Alarm recently came out with an update. So far, it's been behaving
pretty nicely.
--
Donna in Idaho
Website: www.LinusIdaho.org

Old October 13th 05, 01:25 AM
AliceW

I could never get Zone Alarm to work right on my computers. I currently use
a package called System Suite that has all the tools in one box. It updates
the virus definitions daily and system updates as well plus it has a great
firewall application. It has diagnostic tools as well. I also use
AdAware and SpyBot Search and Destroy. My network is entirely wireless at
home with two desktops and a laptop on it. It's encrypted as well.

--
Alice in NJ, Royal Cybrarian
http://www.ourcyberfamily.us/

:
: So- ZoneAlarm, Grisoft AVG, Spybot and Ad-Aware are all downloaded on
: the laptop and things are fine!
:
: Until last night, when both the desktop and laptop decided they needed
: an update from ZoneAlarm - and promptly took the network out... that was
: a nasty 40 minutes trying to find out what was wrong and why...
:
: Suzie B
: --

Old October 14th 05, 03:29 PM
nana2b

My network is the same as yours. The company we are with is small and I
really miss my Verizon DSL. This DSL has to be refreshed every few days, by
unplugging the modem and router and a reboot. It is a minor annoyance. On
the other hand I am grateful to have DSL as some areas still are waiting.
Linda, who needs her online RTCQ fix everyday in Fairview Texas

Old October 14th 05, 03:32 PM
DrQuilter

I use McAffee and I am very satisfied.

nana2b wrote:

Hi everyone, I am still trying to unpack and get things normal again. My
sewing room is next on the list. I really long to sit at Bernie and play
for just 1 hour.

My Norton Anti-Virus is expiring and I would like to know if any of you have
a better product to recommend. I tried to use the security package from the
DSL but it wouldn't let my see any newsgroups. So that was a no brainer. I
have a firewall from windows so is that part enough to protect me? Since I
am on a wireless network do all the PCs need virus protection? I hope you
can help

TIA, Linda in Fairview Tx

--
Dr. Quilter