doll house design

Old October 15th 04, 10:27 PM
Glen Sayers

Default doll house design

Can anyone help me regarding designing a dolls house. I've made a cardboard
mock-up and are pretty pleased with it but don't know what size is best. It
seems (I know nothing about this) most house are 1:12. Is that pretty
standard?

The only problem I see with it is that for a fairly modern house, when the
child reaches in to move things, the low roof would mean things getting
bashed around.

Any comments?

Or aren't kids supposed to play with them. (No. I'm not being sarcastic).

I can post a picture of my mock up on my website if anyone wants to see what
I rambling on about.

Cheers

Glen.

Old October 16th 04, 12:20 AM
Carol

"Glen Sayers" wrote in message
Can anyone help me regarding designing a dolls house. I've made a
cardboard
mock-up and are pretty pleased with it but don't know what size is best.
It
seems (I know nothing about this) most house are 1:12. Is that pretty
standard?

The only problem I see with it is that for a fairly modern house, when the
child reaches in to move things, the low roof would mean things getting
bashed around.

Any comments?

Or aren't kids supposed to play with them. (No. I'm not being sarcastic).

I can post a picture of my mock up on my website if anyone wants to see
what
I rambling on about.

Cheers

Glen.

No you're not being sarcastic. If anyone under the age of 30 touched my
dollhouses they'd get a whupping.

1/12 is the standard although smaller scales are becoming more popular due
to space limitations. Surprising how much space minatures take up.

You didn't mention the age of the child. For a very young child I would
think about playscale (Barbie scale?) which is larger than 1/12 and would be
easier for a young child to play with.

Carol
S P Miniatures
http://www.spminiatures.com

Old October 16th 04, 12:51 AM
Gerald Miller

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 10:27:28 +1300, "Glen Sayers"
wrote:

Can anyone help me regarding designing a dolls house. I've made a cardboard
mock-up and are pretty pleased with it but don't know what size is best. It
seems (I know nothing about this) most house are 1:12. Is that pretty
standard?

The only problem I see with it is that for a fairly modern house, when the
child reaches in to move things, the low roof would mean things getting
bashed around.

1:12 is the base standard with 1:24, 1:48, 1:144 being derivatives.
Play scale is somewhere around 1.75:12 and Lundby (Sweden) being
~0.75:12.
The access problem can be resolved by adjusting the support table to
place the mid height of the room at close to the elevation of the
user's armpit. Some of the more elaborate houses we carried went to
owners between eight and eighteen years of age with over sixty running
a close second.

Any comments?

Or aren't kids supposed to play with them. (No. I'm not being sarcastic).

I can post a picture of my mock up on my website if anyone wants to see what
I rambling on about.

Cheers

Glen.

Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Old October 16th 04, 04:33 PM
John Fowler

Hello there

Most dollhouses are built to the 12th scale. If you want to allow more
room to play, make your room heights 9" or 10". This would work out to 9
or 10 foot ceilings in a real house, but in a dollhouse, no one will
notice the difference.

John Fowler
The Little Dollhouse Company
1-888-763-8966
www.thelittledolliousecompany.com
Old January 6th 05, 10:21 PM

You might check
http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/design77.html

It does not sell any house design tool there.
But it is with a collection of links about house
design so that you might start from there...

Old January 6th 05, 11:50 PM
havana bill & holly

What a neat link! Mini thanks.
You might check
http://www.ScienceOxygen.com/design77.html

It does not sell any house design tool there.
But it is with a collection of links about house
design so that you might start from there...

For Sale: doll house. - dollh003.jpg (0/1) thebest Doll Houses 11 March 2nd 04 05:37 AM
new doll house site havana bill & holly Doll Houses 1 November 20th 03 12:10 AM
Doll House Water Way Doll Houses 3 October 16th 03 11:59 PM
Good vibes needed S. Burwash Beads 24 September 2nd 03 09:34 PM
A boy's Doll house Fizbin Doll Houses 6 August 11th 03 03:05 PM