please bear with a beginner :}

Old August 4th 06, 05:23 AM
hlandis hlandis is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bunker Hill IN
Question please bear with a beginner :}

I have been looking for "school girl" skirt for my teenage girls for ever. I decieded to get a pattern and try to make it myself. I bought simplicity pattern #7377 for a line skirt above the knee. The problem that I am having is that the size I need is 20 and that size is on the envelope, but when I went to cut out the pattern pieces, the largest size line was 14. What should I do? HELP!
Old August 4th 06, 12:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
[email protected]

Default please bear with a beginner :}

Dear Hlandis,

First, ready-to-wear (RTW) sizes and commercial patterns have no
relation to each other. Patterns come in group sizes. You must have
picked up the 10-12-14 size instead of the 16-18-20. You'll need to
get another pattern. And measure your daughters before you purchase
another pattern. You must go by their measurements, not by the size on
the envelope. Going from the size 14 to a size 20 is too much to
alter, especially for a beginner, and I think you'll find that your
children wear a different size than RTW. Good luck. Come back if you
have more questions.

Teri

Old August 4th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Liz MacDonald

Somebody's been fiddling with the envelope contents. I've had it
happen. You'll need to go back to the store. Don't bother trying to
stuff it all back in the envelope. I hope the store isn't an extended
road trip for you!
Liz

Old August 5th 06, 08:02 AM
hlandis hlandis is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bunker Hill IN
Red face

Thank you very much! I will do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz MacDonald
Old August 5th 06, 08:04 AM
hlandis hlandis is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bunker Hill IN
Red face

Thank you for your advise, I just wish that the sales clerk would have been this helpful when I told her my girls' measurements!

Old August 5th 06, 08:05 AM
hlandis hlandis is offline
Junior Member

Location: Bunker Hill IN
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by
Dear Hlandis,

First, ready-to-wear (RTW) sizes and commercial patterns have no
relation to each other. Patterns come in group sizes. You must have
picked up the 10-12-14 size instead of the 16-18-20. You'll need to
get another pattern. And measure your daughters before you purchase
another pattern. You must go by their measurements, not by the size on
the envelope. Going from the size 14 to a size 20 is too much to
alter, especially for a beginner, and I think you'll find that your
children wear a different size than RTW. Good luck. Come back if you
have more questions.

Teri
Thank you so very much for all of you being so very nice and helpful!

OT Next life, I'm gonna be a bear Betsy Ross Quilting 4 April 12th 06 04:36 PM
Felted Bear Picture Shillelagh Yarn 23 November 28th 04 11:49 PM
Teddy Bear's Burned Crochet Collar - long Padishar Creel Yarn 28 November 18th 04 10:34 PM
AD: Blue Bear Beads at the IGBS in Memphis, TN Linda2 Beads 1 July 17th 04 12:48 PM
Bear pattern wanted Karen Garza Quilting 14 February 11th 04 02:52 PM