Need advise on quilted "closet doors"

Old February 5th 05, 02:10 AM
Michelle in NJ

Default Need advise on quilted "closet doors"

Hi All..

Okay I started making the "HELP! There's a Monster In my Closet" quilt
(http://www.fonsandporter.com/storefront/monster.html) but I'm using
flannels instead of the regular fabrics..

So .. when I sewed the doors together... even though there is a perfect
straight hem line, when i fold the door right side out... it's coming out
smaller then it should... even after i've pressed them..

I already put together all 15 doors and would hate to have to take them
apart to resew them with a smaller hem.. so i was thinking maybe i could put
some type of material inside it that is strong enough that if i cut it exact
to size.... it will stretch the fabric out to the right size?

Anyone got any ideas???

Michelle

Old February 5th 05, 03:18 AM
Sandy Foster

In article ,
"Michelle in NJ" wrote:

Hi All..

Okay I started making the "HELP! There's a Monster In my Closet" quilt
(http://www.fonsandporter.com/storefront/monster.html) but I'm using
flannels instead of the regular fabrics..

So .. when I sewed the doors together... even though there is a perfect
straight hem line, when i fold the door right side out... it's coming out
smaller then it should... even after i've pressed them..

I already put together all 15 doors and would hate to have to take them
apart to resew them with a smaller hem.. so i was thinking maybe i could put
some type of material inside it that is strong enough that if i cut it exact
to size.... it will stretch the fabric out to the right size?

Anyone got any ideas???

Michelle

The only idea I have is that the seam on flannel takes up more room than
the seam on quilting cotton, which might explain why things are coming
out too small when you turn them. I don't have any idea what you could
do to rescue the doors you've already sewn. The only thing I can
think of is to make new ones in a slightly larger size and possibly
lined with regular cotton instead of flannel to cut down the bulk.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education
Old February 5th 05, 04:48 AM
Polly Esther

Michelle, I guess we would have to be with you and see "how bad is it?". If
your flannel doors droop down into unimaginable little wimps, you may have
to replace them or find a way to sneak in some stiff stabilizer.
If their soft attitude is only a bit small, how much does it matter?
Will the little one who loves this quilt ever going to notice? Will he
be able to open the doors and say "Kitty"?
I've seen the Monster movie about 3 times (easy to entertain a quilting
great-grandmother). When the small child opens the door to the Monster and
thinks he is just a big kitty, I still smile.
Didn't get anywhere here with helping you, but do wish we could be there
to see somebody special enjoy your quilt. Polly

Old February 5th 05, 08:29 AM
Patti

Hullo Michelle
Sandy is right about the seam taking up more fabric, so I won't go into
that.
Couple of ideas he
First, treat the door like actual quilts and block them. You could cut
out thin card the exact size that the doors should be, and put them
inside dampened doors. I think that might stretch them, if the amount
is not too much.
If the amount by which they are too small is any greater than can be
cured by that, perhaps you could put a tiny binding round them. I have
done one-eight of an inch bindings on some of my miniatures and they are
no more difficult to do that the larger ones. They look good, too.
Your doors would just look as if they have frames. Cut a five-eighths
strip for such a binding.
Mind you, what Polly said is perfectly true!
..
In article , Michelle in NJ
writes
Hi All..

Okay I started making the "HELP! There's a Monster In my Closet" quilt
(http://www.fonsandporter.com/storefront/monster.html) but I'm using
flannels instead of the regular fabrics..

So .. when I sewed the doors together... even though there is a perfect
straight hem line, when i fold the door right side out... it's coming out
smaller then it should... even after i've pressed them..

I already put together all 15 doors and would hate to have to take them
apart to resew them with a smaller hem.. so i was thinking maybe i could put
some type of material inside it that is strong enough that if i cut it exact
to size.... it will stretch the fabric out to the right size?

Anyone got any ideas???

Michelle

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old February 5th 05, 01:59 PM
Michelle in NJ

Thanks for the ideas.. went to the quilt shop last night and asked there too
they recommended putting timtex (sp?) of the exact size i need inside while
the fabric is damp and sew it in... i'm gonna go today to the other store to
get some (they didn't have any) and give that a shot.. the doors won't be so
flimsy but maybe it will work...

what do you guys think?

.

Old February 5th 05, 04:28 PM
Julia in MN

Michelle in NJ wrote:
Thanks for the ideas.. went to the quilt shop last night and asked there too
they recommended putting timtex (sp?) of the exact size i need inside while
the fabric is damp and sew it in... i'm gonna go today to the other store to
get some (they didn't have any) and give that a shot.. the doors won't be so
flimsy but maybe it will work...

what do you guys think?

I would not use Timtex if you want this to be a cuddly quilt (and I
suspect you do if you are using flannel). It will be much too stiff. I
agree with Polly -- will it really matter to the child who gets it? If
you really think they need to be a bit stiffer, use the lightest weight
fusible interfacing you can find. You will be surprised at how much body
that will add.

I don't think wetting them and blocking to the right size will be a
permanent fix; they will "shrink" back up the next time it is washed.

Julia in MN

http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/

Old February 5th 05, 04:33 PM
nana2b

Hi Michelle, YOu might try a product made by Pellon. It is sort of like
the Timtex but not quite as stiff. I know that Joanns had it last time I
was there. If I use it for bowls I have to double it. HTH Linda

Old February 5th 05, 05:15 PM
Sandy Foster

And here's another idea, Michelle. If there's simply no way to "rescue"
those doors, making them the correct size, could you make them into
half-doors? You know, where the face behind it might show, but the rest
wouldn't until you opened the door?

Old February 6th 05, 03:03 PM
Michelle in NJ

Thanks for all your suggestions..

I went to the LQS and bought some material like timtex but it wasn't that i
forget the name.. anyway i got home and tried it out and it didnt' work at
all.. so i would up just piecing it all together.. so i cut out the
pictures... and after i cut them realized that i cut them ALL out too
small.. so the whole thing is just a disaster... but i pieced it
together.. and there are a few places where the door hinges are pretty stuck
to the sashing for like a 1/4 inch.. but ya know what.. fora 2 year old i
think it will work. I'm going to buy Minke fabric today to do the backing..
so it's nice and soft.. and then i have to learn how to do button holes so
that i can keep the doors shut..

thanks again for all your ideas!!!!

Old February 6th 05, 05:09 PM
nana2b

Hi Michelle, How about using some velcro dots sewn in to close the doors?
I really hate doing buttonholes, although Bernie does them very well.
Placement can be a problem for me.

Linda Tx