OT - shakin' in the Pacific Northwest

Old September 27th 04, 03:40 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default OT - shakin' in the Pacific Northwest

I live about 70 miles north of Mt. St. Helens. Some veeeery interesting
stuff is happening here right now. We've had hundreds of little earthquakes
sine Thursday (less than 3's) and they are warning of another eruption.
Fuuuuun. Here's some info:

http://www.pnsn.org/NEWS/PRESS_RELEA...H_09_2004.html

http://www.wstm.com/Global/story.asp?S=2351063

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 27th 04, 04:09 AM
Mj

Oh!! WAY COOL!!! We were planning on coming up to the Sequim area in early
October and had tentatively penciled in a visit to the visitor's center up
the Toutle River. But that might not be a great idea right now, hmmmm?

We lived in Aberdeen, WA when she blew in 1980 and although we didn't get
any ash from that first huge explosion we did wake up to an ash cloud and
mud rain two weeks later when the second eruption happened. We had planned
to go see the mountain that first weekend but I had a menstrual migraine and
we stayed home. I often wonder if we would have been in the kill zone
because we had planned to camp as close as we could to the mountain but we
hadn't chosen our campground preferring to find one after we were in the
national forest.

We're still getting minor deformation under an area near the Three Sisters
in our stretch of the Cascades too. And there was a swarm of middling
earthquakes last week down near Mammoth Lake in California. And we've had
at least four 4+ magnitude quakes on the same section of the Juan de Fuca
subduction zone off our coast in the past 6 weeks. Could be something is
brewing! Or could be it's all just adjustments before going back to sleep
for another 20-200 years.

Can you tell I'm a geology junky? LOL!!

Mj

--
=================================
Marjean Cline

Old September 27th 04, 05:02 AM
Cheryl

Heard about that shaking on TV....

hope you are far enough away it won't affect you if it does blow again....

Cheryl
DRAGON BEADS
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old September 27th 04, 05:11 AM
Jalynne

Ohh...this is exciting. I'm a little nervous, though, because we would have nowhere
to go in case of a major eruption. We're about 62 or so miles from the volcano, and
I'm sure we would feel effects as well. I guess the only thing to do is hang tight
and pray nothing major happens. Thanks for the links, Kandice. I'll be keeping an
eye on the updates as well.
--
Jalynne - Keeper of the Quilt for ME club list

Old September 27th 04, 05:29 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, wow - I'm glad you stayed home that weekend! We lived in Portland at
the time, and we had quite a bit of ash. It coated everything and created a
grey mud when it rained.

It's been pretty active in this whole area for the last 25 years or so - I
am wondering if this is just building up to something big in this area.
Hopefully not, but you never know.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 27th 04, 05:30 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, no we are quite a bit further north. Depending on what happens, we
might get some ash, but other than that, we'll be fine. I wouldn't visit
the mountain anytime soon, though, just to be safe.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 27th 04, 05:31 AM
Kandice Seeber

I highly doubt it would really effect anyone more than 10-15 miles away
other than ash showers. They are saying it would probably be smaller than
the original eruptions.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old September 27th 04, 05:40 AM
Jalynne

The ash is what I'm worried about, acutally. I thing volcanos are facinating, and
like to see films of eruptions and such. I just have this concern that if there's
ash in the air, it will trigger my asthma, and that would be a bad thing. Not just
me...anyone with respiratory problems.