Project planning

Old March 29th 04, 05:11 PM
roxan

It is a totally new kind of plastic wrap that sticks to anything. Worth
buying IMO.
Roxan
"Bungadora" wrote in message
I don't spend much time in that aisle of the grocery store (I do a lot of
recycling and haven't bought a roll of plastic for a long itme), and

haven't
watched tv for a year, so I'm afraid I don't know what this stuff is.
Dora
"roxan"

I think she is talking about the new Press and Seal wrap.
Roxan
"Bungadora" wrote in message
You mean to use the glad as a cover for a board or as a board alone?
Dora

"Christina Peterson"

I bought a box of that new Glad wrap, thinking about some sort of

rolled
up-able "board". Haven't used it yet, though.

Tina

"Bungadora" wrote in message
The lady in the store was using a felt cloth, not a board, but the
necklace was
in such a precise semi-circle that I think the cloth was marked. A

roll
up
board would be extremely handy.
Dora

"Christina Peterson"

I've never used a lay out board, but I'm planning to get a couple.

Mostly
for the measuring function.

Old March 29th 04, 06:58 PM
Dr. Sooz

Of course I am a humble crafting amateur, but if I were to do a layout I
would
be more likely to do it in my own home. I find the LBS too distracting. The
other problem is that it is kind of hard to do when using seed beads. And what

happens to serendipity in design?

Exactly. I don't understand the laying-out in the LBS thing. Does anyone here
do that?

Meanwhile I'm pleased with the beads I bought. I likely won't use all the
leaf
beads for this project, but they are very pleasing all mixed together in the

little Lee Valley tin. They look like a future project.

I do that! I have future project mixes in little bowls and tins and things all
over the HOUSE...........
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 29th 04, 07:01 PM
Dr. Sooz

I agree, Roxan. I have a ton of bead inventory here. Often I do have to go to
the LBS for a component I don't have -- just one little thing, arrgh -- but a
lot of the time I don't. I have the stuff right here.

I find it inhibiting not to have tons of beads in the house to choose from. If
I didn't have an ocean of beads, I'd be weird about "using them up". So I
wouldn't use them at all. Bounty creates freedom for my creative urges.

I have so many bead on hand I don't have to go searching for them from a
bead store to create a project. I start out with a focal bead or stone and
then look for complimentary colors in my stock on hand. I would find having
to go to a bead store to get them would discourage me from wanting to
complete a project. I have to create when I am in the mood to do something
and can't wait to go get beads to do it. Many times the things I think I may
want to make with the beads I have chosen sometimes don't work and I have to
change to something else. This would be difficult to do if you don't have
beads on hand.

~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 29th 04, 07:03 PM
Dr. Sooz

and she had the client with her.

Ew! Never! That is too inhibiting! And it gives them (the client) too much
control!
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 29th 04, 08:30 PM
Marisa Exter

Bungadora wrote:

"roxan"

Many times the things I think I may
want to make with the beads I have chosen sometimes don't work and I have to
change to something else. This would be difficult to do if you don't have
beads on hand.

Yes, even if the beads are the right color, they might be the wrong size or
shape. I finished stringing my necklace tonight, but my eyes go straight to the
beads I have coming directly out of the purse. They are a bit too orange and a
bit too square. So I'll let it sit overnight, look at it in a different light,
and probably restring that strand tomorrow. If I had to go shopping again the
purse would sit in the drawer for another year, or at least another month, but
I can restring using the beads on hand.

I suspect the LBS stringer made changes once she got the necklace home and on
the worktable.
Dora

I think at some point you reach "critical mass" where you have enough beads to
do tuns or projects and if you go shopping (LBS or online) you are either
looking for one or two special things you want for a particular purpose, or you
are just window-shopping and something may catch your eye, which may or may not
go with a bunch of stuff you already have.
I have many of my beads organized by color and type already and tend to have a
bunch in the colors I like to work with.

I have recently gotten to the point where I feel overwhlemed by all of my beads
and sometimes wish I could get rid of them and start fresh again (with all of
the money back, of course. I would make much beter choices this time around)!

marisa2
Old March 29th 04, 09:58 PM
Christina Peterson

It's something I read about here in the group. Kathy NV mentioned enclosing
a project in it to take it from place to place.

Tina

Old March 29th 04, 10:03 PM
Christina Peterson

I just brought in a piece of plywood to put up against the end of the (tall)
bookcase. I'm going to hang future projects on it. I often have things
that are almost ready to finish. If they are not right before me, it's too
easy to forget to finish them.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote...

Old March 29th 04, 10:22 PM
Amber

ospam (Bungadora) wrote in message ...
Well, I went to the LBS Saturday and this set me to wondering how people plan
their projects.

In my case, I work at a very small scale, but I'm afraid I don't plan that
well. I bought way more than I need but rationalized I can use the stock for
future projects. The beads are intended to complete an old project. One of the
first amulet bags I made was cursed, and this is about the 5th time I have
remade it, more because of the thread than anything else, but that is another
topic. It's going well this time, after having been punished by sitting in my
drawer for a year. This piece was designed as a result of problem solving more
than anything else, and looks nothing like the original pattern. I intend to
string the beads randomly for the neck portion, but am wondering about
balancing them, and how to do it without pulling the necklace apart too much. I
was going to just eyeball it as I go along.

What has put me in doubt of my methodology, was the presence of a Professional
in the LBS laying out a necklace with her client. She was clearly being very
careful about buying from the very beginning of the project, and buying
specifically only those things that she needed, by laying out the project from
the start.

Of course I am a humble crafting amateur, but if I were to do a layout I would
be more likely to do it in my own home. I find the LBS too distracting. The
other problem is that it is kind of hard to do when using seed beads. And what
happens to serendipity in design?

Meanwhile I'm pleased with the beads I bought. I likely won't use all the leaf
beads for this project, but they are very pleasing all mixed together in the
little Lee Valley tin. They look like a future project.

Dora

I very rarely think out a specific project. I have many boxes of
beads, and what ends up happening is I'll eventually end up
buying..say..a focal bead that would work perfectly with some of the
beads in my boxes. and often times when I think up a project in
advance, it ends up changing so much by the time I'm actually done
with it that it bears little to no resemblance to the original idea. I
just like playing with colors and textures and shapes far too much to
lay out a necklace and have that be exactly what I'm going to do.

I actually drive myself a bit nuts sometimes, cause I'll be stringing
a necklace, look at it, and think "hmm..that looks nice..but you know
what would look better? taking the whole thing apart and adding some
of those other beads!"

it's like the cell phone bag I recently did. I purchased the thread
with the original intention of making the little beaded crochet purse
featured in bead and button magazine this month. then my mind piped up
with "y'know...it'd be easier to make that cell phone purse you need
out of crochet rather than peyote. and you DID buy two balls of that
thread, so you have enough for the tiny purse and a cell phone bag."

and when the body of the bag was done, I thought "hmm..netting might
be nice."

which ended up becoming beaded flowers.

so then I thought "ok, I'll make a spiral rope of beads for the strap"

which ended up being made out of crochet as well.

I'm rather scattered about my projects, but I'm always completely
happy with the end results, so as annoying as I am to myself
sometimes, I guess I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old March 30th 04, 12:59 AM
Bungadora

Bead accumulation ... I could do that.

have a small collection, but I already find I look at some beads and think,
"I'll never use that". As I buy more beads that the older, less favored beads
all end up in the same drawer. I was thinking that was the drawer I could turn
my nieces loose upon when they come to visit.

I agree with the critical mass stuff, but I think the growth in inventory is
also linked to an increase in knowledge and familiarity with materials and
techniques.

Dora
Oooh. Stewed rhubarb and cranberries with yogurt. Yumm.

Marisa Exter

Old March 30th 04, 01:03 AM
Bungadora

(Dr. Sooz)

and she had the client with her.

Ew! Never! That is too inhibiting! And it gives them (the client) too much
control!

Yes, well, you'd have to count on the client not remembering what was picked
out if there were any changes.
Dora

NEAT PROJECT !!!! Cheryl Beads 0 March 4th 04 06:27 AM
Book Review: Kate McKinnon, Project Workbook 2003 EL Beads 9 February 25th 04 03:28 PM
Update: World Beading Project meijhana Beads 2 January 2nd 04 05:02 PM
new free project agata bonaccorso Beads 1 December 16th 03 10:55 AM
Today's project laura Beads 17 August 1st 03 05:10 AM