OT what is this flower?

Old May 10th 05, 04:37 AM
Shona in NZ

Oooo, I know what this flower is but heck if I can remember!

Shona having a brain fart in NZ

"Taria" wrote in message
Since I know quilters are experts on a variety of
things can anyone name this flower?
Some are white and some go to blue. I think they came
in an assortment DH planted last year.
TIA, Taria

http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/strangeflower.html

Old May 10th 05, 04:39 AM
Shona in NZ

That's it!!!

Thanks butterfly, I hate when my brain goes on vacation without me :-O
Humph, and I call myself a plant ecologist

Shona who is pleased she won't have to wrack her brain in NZ

"Butterfly" wrote in message
Love in the Mist.
I got a whole packet of it this year. That's how I knew : ) Had some that
were in a 'Butterfly Attracting Flowers' package a couple of years ago
and I liked them.(Had to look them up then as I didn't know what they
were--package had a list of flowers that was in it) Can't remember if they
have a scent or not. They are taller this year--maybe a different variety
of them?

Butterfly

Old May 10th 05, 06:01 AM
Dumpling

Hi

I looked it up in my Readers Digest Gardeners Encyclopedia and it says
its a Persian Jewel (Nigella damascena) in purple and white or Miss
Jekyll in pale blue.

The description is as follows - Fast growing, slender, erect annual
with feathery bright green leaves. Small, semi-double flowrs, in
shade or blue, pink or white, appears in spring and early summer,
followed by iflated seed pods which can be dried. Height upto50cm.

Hope it helps.

....Fran...

Old May 10th 05, 06:34 AM
Heidi from Germany

Jungfer im Grünen,
though I think that doesn't help you much :-)
we have it too here and I brought it to our garden in a package of
wild flower seeds and now it keeps coming every year.
Its a very pretty delicate flower, I like it very much
Heidi from Germany
Taria schrieb:

Since I know quilters are experts on a variety of
things can anyone name this flower?
Some are white and some go to blue. I think they came
in an assortment DH planted last year.
TIA, Taria

http://home1.gte.net/res6mc9p/strangeflower.html

http://home.vrweb.de/~hbquilts/
mail: please remove quilt from address
Old May 10th 05, 12:05 PM
Debi Matlack

One name is love-in-a-mist. It's nigella damascena if I remember correctly.
Blooms are usually blue but can be white too. I think a spice comes from it
too, maybe cumin? Just found it, nope, cumin is nigella sativa.
http://www.ibiblio.org/herbmed/pictu...mascena-13.htm
Hope this helps,

--
Debi

Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?

Old May 10th 05, 02:28 PM
Michelle in NJ

Sorry didn't see everyone wrote back already... i had written to my friend
from college, she owns a greenhouse, just took her a day to reply

"Michelle in NJ" wrote in message
This flower is called Nigella. Also known as "Love In The Mist"

--
Michelle in NJ
http://michelle.absolutad.com/quilts/

Old May 10th 05, 03:36 PM
SNIGDIBBLY

it does resemble a clematis - also a passion plant but the petals are wrong
and the leaves are all wrong for a clematis or passion plant. There used to
be a flower that resembled this one that made egg gourds that my mother used
to set her hens. After the hens complied she would slip in the fertilized
eggs and take the gourds out. My brothers and I would "paint" them with
poke berry juice and have easter egg hunts in august.

SNIGDIBBLY
~e~
"
/ \
"Pauline O'Connell" wrote in message
. ..
It looks like a clematis to me - but I'm not an expert We have clematis
vines in our yard.

Pauline

Old May 10th 05, 04:42 PM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:09:24 GMT, Taria wrote:
Since I know quilters are experts on a variety of
things can anyone name this flower?

Nigella, love in the mist, and a number of other names. Seeds
of N. sativa used for culinary purposes in middle eastern and Indian
cuisine (kalonji, "black onion seeds", charnushka).
You can find garden varieties in blue, pink or white. I'm not sure what
species you're growing, but most likely Nigella damascena.
e.g.: https://www.reneesgarden.com/seeds/s...owersN.htm#nig
Annual that tends to reseed itself.

Kay