some new wire bracelets

Old March 8th 04, 09:50 PM
Christina Peterson

Where do you live? In the last year, I've found so much more in town than I
could have imagined. Fairbanks has about 35,000 people; maybe 60,000 in the
whole borough (like a county and the size of a normal state). I've taken
wire classes, PMC, fused glass, knotting, as well as a couple projects. And
that without a big search. I took silversmithing at the university, and
learned that the tests that said I have poor dexterity were correct. For
that reason, I won't be playing with fire, though I have seen lampworking
classes.

I found classes in the college catalogue, on the bulletin board at the
laundromat, in the newpaper's "Coming Events", and by word of mouth. And
the woman in Fairbanks who sells beads to Athabaskan villages in the
interior could probably hook me up with someone in town who could teach me
Athabaskan seedbead work.

I have a big advantage here, because in such a remote place we can't rely on
passive entertainment (concerts, etc), so more people are interested in
these sorts of skills. On the other hand, I'm not going to ba able to find
classes in a nearby town. Nenana is 80 miles away and is just a village.
Delta might have somethingm but that's 2 hours in each direction, if the
weather is decent.

You too might have a whole lot more going on locally than you imagine.

Tina

"Karin Cernik" wrote in message
No classes around here, but maybe someday I'll find one. Thanks for the
encouragement! :-)

I can at least make S clasps reasonably proficiently at this point...

Karin

Beadbimbo wrote:

Just hang in there! Take a class, or another class if you already have.
I'm very visual. I do a lot better if I can watch someone. When I took

my
2nd class, it was like all of a sudden I "got it". Most of the things

we
made, because I was a little ahead of the other beginners, I made three

of.
If I didn't finish, I'd take it up to my room and finish, or finish the

next
day, between pieces. I found that if I did something three times, I

really
"got it".
--
Jerri
www.beadbimbo.com

"Karin Cernik" wrote in message
Well, I just don't get it, but I haven't given up yet. :-) Have
accumulated too much wire, and too many books, for one thing. But I
must confess, that wire and I are still not getting along very well...

Karin
your ring is gorgeous, as is all your work. :-)

Old March 9th 04, 02:35 PM
Karin Cernik

Wichita, KS. And you're right, there is stuff available, I just don't
have the time to do it (so I'm wrong in blaming lack of classes, it's
more my fault.) I have not seen any wire work classes, however. We
have Center for the Arts (where I took lampworking from Michelle). We
have CityArts, which also teaches glass and various drawing/painting
types of things. We have several universities, although only one has an
art department. And 3 bead stores in town, one of which does have
classes, although she never has a schedule, so you have to kind of luck
into them.

So I'll stop complaining. :-) My real problem is there are WAY too many
things I want to be doing, and there are only so many hours in a day.
Add up working fulltime, 2 kids, a husband and a house, and there just
isn't enough time to endulge my dozen or so hobbies, at least not to the
extent that I would like. :-)

Karin

Old March 9th 04, 05:13 PM
Dr. Sooz

And 3 bead stores in town, one of which does have
classes, although she never has a schedule, so you have to kind of luck
into them.

Oh, now that's dumb. She should get a little bit organized, and I bet she'd
make more money. Classes are a terrific source of revenue.

Add up working fulltime, 2 kids, a husband and a house

~~~shriek~~
~~
Sooz
-------
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
Old March 9th 04, 06:15 PM
Christina Peterson

The fiber store here where I've taken classes, has no classes in summer,
since Alaskans are unusually active outdoors in summer (so much can only be
done in summer), and she has some classes she advertises ahead of time,
especially with guest teachers (eg, from Outside). But her classes are
somewhat flexible, which allows her to customize her classes for the
beaders.

She started out with fibers, and is located by the Weavers Guild. Then
added beads, pearls, crystals, wire, fused glass supplies and firing,
lampwork, PMC, as she added those skills to her own repatoir.

Tina

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
And 3 bead stores in town, one of which does have
classes, although she never has a schedule, so you have to kind of luck
into them.

Oh, now that's dumb. She should get a little bit organized, and I bet

she'd
make more money. Classes are a terrific source of revenue.

Add up working fulltime, 2 kids, a husband and a house

~~~shriek~~
~~
Sooz
-------
"Those in the cheaper seats clap. The rest of you rattle your jewelry."

John
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old March 14th 04, 03:25 AM
Kalera Stratton

Holy CRAP. I love it!

-Kalera

Beadbimbo wrote:

I tried this bracelet from one of the backordered WAJ magazines:

http://www.beadbimbo.com/ebay/brace2.jpg

I really like the way the ends are finished, instead of folding the wire
over. Then I wanted to try it with one of my beads, but my bead wasn't
quite sqaure. It came out ok, but I'd like to try it again with a better
bead:

http://www.beadbimbo.com/ebay/pbrace1.jpg

Old March 14th 04, 03:53 AM
Cheryl

Jerri WOW
you are really getting GREAT at that!

love the one with the floral bead in it....
Cheryl
last semester of lawschool! yipee!
A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

more landscapes and wire bracelets Beadbimbo Beads 23 January 6th 04 03:48 AM
Wire question Regina Beads 2 November 23rd 03 08:53 PM
stringing wire Tim hartney Beads 3 October 1st 03 12:48 PM
Wire Wrapping instead of jumprings...funny tools April H. Beads 13 September 12th 03 06:14 PM
I need beads! Rant and ? about wire mkahogan Beads 6 July 23rd 03 02:06 AM