Weavers cloth

Old March 9th 05, 09:57 PM
Cheryl Isaak

Default Weavers cloth

Ok - I am already to try punch needle, but keep seeing "weavers cloth". I
don't see it locally, easily that is!

Any thoughts on substitutions?

Thanks gang!

Cheryl

Old March 9th 05, 10:52 PM

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok - I am already to try punch needle, but keep seeing "weavers

cloth". I
don't see it locally, easily that is!

Any thoughts on substitutions?

Thanks gang!

Cheryl

do you have a JoAnn Fabrics near you? they have usually have weaver's
cloth in the sewing materials, not near the cross stitch stuff

Lisa (who's sick of snow and a stupid superintendent who wouldn't send
us home early in the middle of a snow/ice storm because the few kids
with working parents wouldn't have any one to meet them at the door!)

Old March 10th 05, 03:58 AM
anne

Cheryl Isaak said
Ok - I am already to try punch needle, but keep seeing "weavers cloth". I
don't see it locally, easily that is!

It's most commonly a 50/50 blend of cotton and polyester. At the day class I
took, I was told that regular cotton is too dense for the needle to punch
through. I finally got my Russian punch needles from Nordic Needle and was
surprised to see calico listed as an acceptable fabric for one of the needles.
I immediately put some cotton in a hoop and if I was careful at the start, the
needle created loops ;-) It also worked on a loose weave blend ... I am one
happy camper.

--
another Anne, add ingers to frugalf to reply
Old March 10th 05, 11:30 AM

Karen E. wrote:
wrote:

Lisa (who's sick of snow and a stupid superintendent who wouldn't

send
us home early in the middle of a snow/ice storm because the few

kids
with working parents wouldn't have any one to meet them at the

door!)

Our school district, unlike the others in our area, never closes

early
due to weather. Once the kids are at school, they're there until the
scheduled end of the day. There's no problem for parents who pick

their
kids up early because of bad weather, but they will never send them

home
before dismissal time, even when every other district has done so.

And
it's precisely because there are kids who wouldn't have a parent at
home. What's a first-grader to do when school's suddenly dismissed at

11:00 am and there's no adult due at home until 4:00? And in

inclement
weather to boot?

that first grader has to make sure that his/her working parent has a
contingency plan for the inclement weather.
I'm paid to teach students, not be a babysitter. I've been a working
mother from the time DD was 5.5 years old. When she went to a Catholic
school and had a earlier dismissal than I did, it was MY responsibility
- NOT THE SCHOOL'S, NOT THE TEACHER'S to babysit -to make sure that
there was someone to catch her when she got off the bus! And I made
sure that she knew exactly what to do and who to look for!
My point: be prepared. look for a stay at home mom or a retired
neighbor and ask if they'll pick up your little one.

Old March 10th 05, 11:48 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 3/10/05 6:30 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

Karen E. wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I don't disagree with a word you say - but this is (now) suit happy country
and my town can't afford more of them.

That said - good old Nate is a cautious boy, hates confrontation and likes
the letter of the law rather spirit and no - I don't like him very much.

Cheryl

Old March 10th 05, 04:19 PM
Karen E.

Karen E. wrote:

wrote:

[...]

First of all, it's the first grader's _parents_ who should have the
contingency plan, not the child. ;-) In my neighborhood, I'm practically
the only stay-at-home mom. Does that mean that I get to watch all the
kids? There is no handy retiree base here from which to select an 'in
case of emergency' sitter.

Second, those plans are not all that easy where I live. Many of the
children with working parents go to after-care programs. Arranging
outside plans around those programs as well is nigh-impossible.

Finally, teachers are expected to be at school for the duration of the
day. If school isn't dismissed early, they should stay with the plan for
the day. It doesn't suddenly become "babysitting" just because the
weather's bad and teachers want to leave. It's still a school day and
should be conducted as such.

I'm not ragging on you, and I certainly don't mean to seem argumentative
about this. It just seems to me that in this day and age, it's practical
to stay with the schedule.

Karen E.