So proud I had to share

Old January 30th 04, 08:29 PM
scaperchick

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:17:05 -0800, "Magik"
wrote:
I finally completed a pendant that I would actually feel good about
selling. It's an abalone cab wrapped in GF wire. Everything just clicked and
I am really happy with the way it turned out!
http://gallery.putercom.org/albums/j...redab_gold.jpg

KLUNK!

That is just stunning.
Old January 31st 04, 01:17 AM
Marisa Cappetta

Gorgeous.

--
Marisa (AU/NZ)
http://www.galleryvittoria.com
"Magik" wrote in message

I finally completed a pendant that I would actually feel good about
selling. It's an abalone cab wrapped in GF wire. Everything just clicked

and
I am really happy with the way it turned out!
http://gallery.putercom.org/albums/j...redab_gold.jpg

I added some other new stuff to my gallery also.

Tanya
http://gallery.putercom.org/jewelry

Old January 31st 04, 08:54 PM
Magik

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Magik"
:

]http://gallery.putercom.org/jewelry

i can't get the wire anywhere near that smooth and even - even on my
BEST day!

Well, it helps if you spend an hour on a pendant that should only take 20
minutes to do! I keep going over the wires until they are as close to
perfect as they will let themselves get. Most times the whole thing just
goes bad from the start (i.e. the rest of the pendants I have made).

Thanks!

Tanya

Old January 31st 04, 08:57 PM
Magik

wrote:
I finally completed a pendant that I would actually feel good about
selling. It's an abalone cab wrapped in GF wire. Everything just clicked

and
I am really happy with the way it turned out!
http://gallery.putercom.org/albums/j...redab_gold.jpg

KLUNK!

That is just stunning.

picking self up off of floor OK, I can't believe that I actually rated a
Klunk!

Tanya
(who is going to get a big head if ya'll keep it up)

Old January 31st 04, 09:03 PM
Magik

"Harry" wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:17:05 -0800, "Magik" wrote:
I finally completed a pendant that I would actually feel good about
selling. It's an abalone cab wrapped in GF wire. Everything just clicked

and
I am really happy with the way it turned out!
http://gallery.putercom.org/albums/j...redab_gold.jpg

I added some other new stuff to my gallery also.

Tanya
http://gallery.putercom.org/jewelry

That is very very nice and I do want to learn wire wrapping!
I guess I need to get off my rump and get busy learning. lol

Harry
My Ebay Auctions are at http://snipurl.com/3okw

It really isn't that hard to get the hang of, so long as you find the
teaching method that suits the way you learn. I am very visual and I learn
fastest when someone shows me how to do something. So Preston Reuther's
videos were the right thing for me. I just don't like the swirls and curls
that he uses.

Tanya

Old January 31st 04, 09:09 PM
Magik

"AmazeR" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 20:17:05 -0800, Magik wrote:

I finally completed a pendant that I would actually feel good

about
selling. It's an abalone cab wrapped in GF wire. Everything just clicked

and
I am really happy with the way it turned out!
http://gallery.putercom.org/albums/j...redab_gold.jpg

I added some other new stuff to my gallery also.

Tanya
http://gallery.putercom.org/jewelry

WOW - Good on you girl!! I love what you have done & to think you only
started in July last year.. Well done 8-))

Mavis

I'd probably be a lot further along in my progress if I worked at it more
consistently. I had a two-month period where I didn't do any wirework
because between the holidays and work I just couldn't get the enthusiasm to
do anything. My goal this year is to try to do something with wire
everyday, even if it is just studying new techniques or working towards
getting a business set up.

Thanks!
Tanya

Old January 31st 04, 09:16 PM
Magik

OK, I just wanted to say a combined "Thank You SO Much!!!" for all the
wonderful comments on my pendant. I didn't want to clog up the group with
individual messages to just say "thanks", plus I am a slow typer and my
fingers are getting exhausted!

You have all made me feel so good and I am just overwhelmed by the positive

Thanks again everyone!

BTW, I have had an inquiry about purchasing that pendant. Not sure how
serious they are, but now I have to come up with a price. I almost hate to
let it go!

Tanya

Old February 1st 04, 01:52 AM
Debbie B

Tanya,
I get his newsletter and have been all over his site. I've been curious,
but not sure if it's legit. Were you happy with what you got? (Obviously
you learned to make beautiful items) Was it worth the money?

Thanks

--
Debbie (New Mexico)
Life is too short

---

Old February 1st 04, 06:00 AM
Magik

"vj" wrote in message
thanks for the encouragement, but i'm still way, way behind you!
maybe when i get to Seattle i'll have more time to practice!

[every time i say practice and think "silver wire" at the same time, i
cringe!]

Oh I felt the same way too, which is why I have a bunch of copper wire (well
for practice and because I like copper). But with wire sculpture at least,
no two pieces ever turn out the same. So if I did a pendant in copper to
try a design and it turned out really nice, then got out the gold or silver
it would not look the same and the time spent making the practice piece
would be wasted. Now if I do something in copper, it because I liked the
looks of copper with that stone. Same with silver and gold-fill wire. And
I don't worry so much about screwing it up, because most things are
salvageable. I don't come up with something in advance, or try to work from
a sketch. I take the wire and the stone and just start bending and see
where it leads me. So working in the precious metals off the bat means I
have a possibly saleable item when the dust settles. Either that or the
scrap wire goes in the baggie to be sold back.

Tanya

Old February 1st 04, 06:20 AM
Magik

"Debbie B" wrote in message
ink.net...
Tanya,
I get his newsletter and have been all over his site. I've been curious,
but not sure if it's legit. Were you happy with what you got? (Obviously
you learned to make beautiful items) Was it worth the money?

Thanks

Well, here's what my opinion is. I think the videos are a wonderful
teaching tool, especially if you are a visual "show-me" learner like I am.
Ignore the hype of "make $40k per year making jewelry" that is all over the
site. Also, find alternative suppliers for all your wire and stone needs
because there are places with much better prices and service than his.

Can you make a living making jewelry by learning his techniques? Yes, I
think you can if you work at it, and pay attention to your local market and
what is selling elsewhere. PR tends to push shell cameos for some reason.
I have only seen probably 5 people ever wearing traditional cameo jewelry.
Figure out your style and your niche and run with it. I am still in the
beginning stages of getting a business started based on jewelry making but I
think I will be able to get out of it whatever I put in.

Was it worth what I paid? To me, absolutely! I would never have learned
without the videos. I bought the whole set and so far have only really
watched one or two. If I had stuck with trying to learn from books, I doubt
I would have gotten the hang of any wirework and would likely have given up.
Knowing that I have a "knack" for wire gives me the confidence to try other
techniques from books and the internet. I know I can do the stuff, I just
have to be patient with my learning curve from these sources.

Also if you buy any of the videos and they don't work for you or you learn
all you can and don't want to keep them, there is a ready market on eBay.
PR's videos typically fetch about half the retail price at auction. I think
if you buy the beginner kit it comes with a 90 day guarantee. One caveat to
the kit: The brass wire is worthless and a PITA to boot. Copper is so much
easier to practice with and behaves more like dead soft sterling.

Sorry, I didn't intend to ramble like that!

Tanya