knitting problems

Old January 3rd 04, 04:39 PM
Bea

Tara,
Great helpful tip! Thanks. Never thought of doing that.

Bea
"Tara D" wrote in message
On 03 Jan 2004 00:44:59 GMT, (Nerak) wrote:

Often I will cast on a separate piece and knit the

collar and then graft it
onto the sweater. No cast off --

Thanks, that goes into the memory bank as helpful tip #2.

Casting off
is my one problem. I avoid it all costs :-) But I'm

really good at
grafting.

Helpful tip #1 was "run a length of yarn up each side

seam; then you
have yarn handy for repairs later that has the same wash

wear"
Tara

Old January 3rd 04, 06:54 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Fred Your suggestion is wonderful , but here too i would advice the
help of changing needle sizes .in the case of 5 rib rows , knit 4 rib
rows [ or rounds if you work seamless] chnage to smaller size knit 1
row , change to smaller size knit the 6 row [round] THIS IS THE FOLD
LINE , change back to bigger size , knit 1 row, chmge back to
`regular` sizeneedle k 4 rows , take care that each st lays on top of
it`s `root , fold over take a sewing needle , and take a knit st off
the knitting nedle and sew it onto it`s Root st.
If like me you knit from the neck down it is much easier , you fold
over and knit each lop with the cast on round [row] .
mirjam
I have seen various suggestions for decreasing the stretchyness,
which you seem to need to do. One suggestion I have not seen, which Jill
taught me many years ago, is to double the number of rows of ribbing
called for, plus one, and cast off loosely. Then double over the neck
inwards, and sew the cast off edge along the start of the ribbing row,
This gives, IMHO, a much nicer finished look.

--
Jim Cripwell.
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of one's life, any

Old January 3rd 04, 06:54 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hallo Carol -Ann , thank you for the compliment about my knitting
advice . i gave a small favour to ask , would you mind spelling my
name as i do it ?
Thank you very much ,
mirjam

Old January 4th 04, 08:55 AM
CASin43

Sorry Mirjam, my latest granddaughter's middle name is Miryam and that is why I
keep making the same silly mistake!
I'lll watch it from now on!!
Carol-Ann
10 miles NW of London England
Old January 4th 04, 12:22 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

It is Ok Carol _Ann , but it is very important to me ,,
How lovely that your granddaughter has this name as well .
mirjam