New Years resolution?

Old January 1st 04, 02:06 PM
Shstringfellow

went with a slightly larger than stylish frame in a red! they look nice!
And make me feel just a shade hipper

Sounds very, VERY chic!
SueS
Old January 1st 04, 03:50 PM
zita_tempest

Actually, there's a new USDA guidelines pyramid due out sometime soon (next
year---or is that later this year?) Anyway, I've been following something
called the DASH diet. It's not really meant for weight loss, but it's
working out that way.

DASH means Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension. It's 7- 8 servings of
whole grains/fiber rich grains, 4 - 5 fruits, 4 - 5 vegetables, 2 - 3 low
fat or fat free dairy, 2 or fewer meats/poultries/fish, 2 - 3 fats/oils. It
also includes 4 - 5 nuts/seeds/dried beans per week and 5 servings per week
of sweets. While most of the literature says sweets should be low in fat,
I've also seen "splurge once a week and enjoy it". I cut down on the number
of grains to 4 - 5 and added one extra dairy. I'm averaging about 1500
calories per day, and it's making a big difference.

Isabel
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote in message
Actually, everything we eat turns into sugar and carbs. That's an
oversimplification, but basically a truism.

What you need to cut down on is starch. Not eliminate, not just so much
of it. I resent that our current food pyramid has all that starch at
the bottom in such large quantities. I'd like to see it more like a
circle cut into 4 wedges, all equal portions of fruit, meat/protein,
vegetables, starch. Then a little circle in the middle with fat and
sugar to remind us that should be a SMALL part of our daily diet. :-)

Dianne

Joan Erickson wrote:
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

I believe her too! Only American (US) doctors seem to advocate these
low fat
diets rather than healthy eating.
DH tries to stay low fat and has so many skin ills and stays heavy
despite
dieting. I eat in moderation and have really added fruits to the diet

and
more walking and it seems to be working.

See if you can convince him to cut down on carbs (breads, potatoes,
pasta, sugars, especially). It really worked for me. And without
exercising!

Old January 1st 04, 05:52 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

Question for you: Isn't that 5 to 7 servings of fruits OR vegetables?
Fruits are very high in "sugar", though a rich source of dietary fibre
and nutrients.

I realize you're doing this because of (I think) combating hypertension.
However, I'm not going to agree with the low-fat treatise because you
end up hungry. 1500 calories a day (about 130 total carbs) is a tough
diet. Anytime you reduce calories (an average woman, with a somewhat
sedentary lifestyle, about 130-140 pounds would be on an approximate
1800-calorie a day diet to retain that weight) you'll lose weight. So,
if you ate more "stuff", then go on a 1500 calorie real food diet for
any reason, you'll naturally lose weight. My nutritionist wouldn't let
me, though I asked for that option so I understood what it meant. I
frequently shift between 1500 and 1800 calories a day.

Dianne

Old January 1st 04, 08:16 PM
zita_tempest

Nope it's 4 of each. And I'm finding that about 1500 calories is just about
right--eating a lot of whole grains and plant matter seems to work fine for
the hunger department. And most of the diabetic diets I've seen working at
the hospital run 1500 - 1800 calories a day. Same with a fair number of the
cardiac diets. I'm not saying this will work for everyone; it's another
option.

Old January 2nd 04, 01:16 AM
Dianne Lewandowski

Interesting. I'm glad it's working for you, but it's the low calorie
count that is taking off those pounds. :-) The diet you wrote about is
very healthy eating. Yes, each of us has to adjust to what works for
their body. We're unique.

More than likely, the diabetic and cardiac diets are that low in carbs
because they need to take off weight, or are having a very difficult
time managing their blood sugars. That is a very low calorie diet,
particularly for an adult male. Since 67% of the population is now
overweight, it doesn't surprise me that hospital diets would run in that
range for just about everyone.

Dianne

Old January 2nd 04, 05:00 PM
Ellice

On 1/1/04 9:13 AM,"Cheryl Isaak" posted:

On 1/1/04 9:06 AM, in article ,
"Shstringfellow" wrote:

went with a slightly larger than stylish frame in a red! they look nice!
And make me feel just a shade hipper

Sounds very, VERY chic!
SueS

Thank you, I got disgusted with myself last summer, gaining more weight,
well and truly in a rut. A few pounds off has done wonders and getting
involved with something new and different (DD's hockey team), seems to have
done the trick.

The new, stylish glasses were the next step. (needed new ones anyway, yet
another script change!)

Sounds great - sometimes you just need to do these things for you, and state
of mind.

Now to do something about my hair - the last cut was so terrible, that I
have to do something and I am thinking about covering the grey, but don't
want to keep going back to do it again and again.

Hmmmm - I know this problem. My grey is pretty much only in my natural part.
And it get's covered. Just as I was about to change hair salons, I got a
really good haircut, and color. Of course, DH & I are laughing because my
hair stylist keeps telling me about my "curly" or wavy hair - which is stick
straight. The only reason it has any curve is from the slight change in
texture due to coloring it. In summer here, it will wave a bit, if left to
dry naturally -but - now - well -it's like pick-up stix!

What about trying some highlights? It's a little expensive, but you don't
have to do them very often - unless you go a very much different shade from
your hair. Perhaps you could do something like that, which would soften the
grey look, brighten up your hair, especially around your face. Before I was
grey at all, I just had highlights done a few times a year. Just a thought.

Ellice

Old January 2nd 04, 08:33 PM
Cheryl Isaak

"Shstringfellow" wrote:

went with a slightly larger than stylish frame in a red! they look nice!
And make me feel just a shade hipper

Sounds very, VERY chic!
SueS

Thank you, I got disgusted with myself last summer, gaining more weight,
well and truly in a rut. A few pounds off has done wonders and getting
involved with something new and different (DD's hockey team), seems to have
done the trick.

The new, stylish glasses were the next step. (needed new ones anyway, yet
another script change!)

Sounds great - sometimes you just need to do these things for you, and state
of mind.

It seems weird, but I feel younger.

[...]

My hair is dark and rather than going "grey", I am going "silver" and it is
now threaded all through my head, more to the front, but it is every where
now. I'm going to think about the highlights idea - I'll either go for a
dark red or a lighter brown.

Cheryl