Embroidery and Why Men Are Happier Than Women!

Old December 28th 03, 02:20 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Well Dianne , maybe you should start from the end ? and look 1 , into
Museological contemporary literature and see what terminologies they
use now adays. 2. Check within yourself , what is the Problem or
uneasiness you feel towards this very beautiful, Neutral term Ethnic.
All the best
mirjam
On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 17:14:23 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

Dr. Brat wrote:
However, one could break the regions down smaller: Polish, Bohemian,
Ruthenian, Carpathian, Kashubian, Eastern Siberia, South Siberia... That
would perhaps be more useful, since the embroidery typical of, for
example, Polish Galicia, is different than that of the northern area
known as Warmia.

I understand that I can point out (or to) a typical embroidery by
saying: Carpathian embroidery (if indeed they have a distinct style).

But what I need is a catch-all phrase as a "header", and THEN list the
styles I'm looking for in more exact terms, such as "colcha,
Mountmellick, Casalguidi, Schwalm et al."

I know it's hard. grin That's why I'm asking to hopefully get some
insight from those that know more than I.

If I wrote a book with an all-encompassing title, and each chapter
listed a specific embroidery style and explained it and pictured it,
such as Chapter I: Carpathian; Chapter II: Polish Galicia

What can I call the book? (No, I can't call it Embroideries of the
World). There's raised embroidery, crewel embroidery, wool-on-wool
embroidery, chenille embroidery, cross stitch embroidery, Brazilian
embroidery, and then there's these *regional* types like Schwalm and
Casalguidi and Ayreshire and Mountmellick and Chikan et al.

I'm uncomfortable with the use of the word Ethnic, so was hoping to come
up with a better terminology. Maybe there isn't one. smile

Dianne

Old December 28th 03, 10:40 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

I don`t think regional is appropiate , becuase of the many Numads ,
that spread their knowledge in many regions ,,,,
mirjam
On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 12:08:09 -0600, Dianne Lewandowski
wrote:

THANK YOU! Good choice of words. And thanks for confirming the word
"regional".
Dianne

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

...... I need a blanket term for all these types. Like a title page. :-)

You could always include the term "Selected" in the title and have something
like "Selected Regional Needlework from Around the World" as a title. This
lets people know that you aren't using absolutely EVERY type of needlework
available but you have selected those types YOU, as the author, feel are
pertinent to the needlework skills being discussed. CiaoMeow ^;;^
.
PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^ Queen of Kitties
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Old December 29th 03, 12:52 AM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/27/03 6:05 PM, in article ,
"Dianne Lewandowski" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Why not just give the region and then give any influences?

Because I need a blanket term for all these types. Like a title page. :-)
Dianne

How about Regions?????

Cheryl

Old December 29th 03, 01:09 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Tia Mary i appreciate your effort to describe the why the term
regional would fit , even numad tribes, and i thank you that you use
the term Beduin ,,,as first. But let me add something that slipped you
notice in my former letter, When Dianne wants to speak about the
developement of a certain needlework , i understood that she wanted to
include Historical facts as well . Historical some numads , traveled
through a continent and a half , sometimes through 3 continents !!!
The Beduins of Santa -Catharina , for example , will tell you that
they came from Europe and that originaly they were a Roma tribe ,
Others Beduin tribes now living in the Negev , came originaly from
Saudia, others from other places , Atlas Mountains etc, Mid Africa
etc... I was thinking more about the HUNES, Numad tribes that
eventually settled in what is now Hungary , still you can`t dismiss
their Asiatic , Indo - influences . And of course you can`t dismiss
the Islamite ruling , from Spain through Africa - almost to Wiena .I
was thinking about the moving of the Druze , By the way their
Needlework is the most facinating of Cultural inheritance , that goes
way back to the Great Persian /Greek wars . Going back to Hungarian
embroidery , you can see the Austrian- Germanic influence. In the
region of the late USSR , not only did tribes and nations influence
each other , but the tendency of the low nobility to learn French ,
brought about an influence of French needlework , which in it`s time
was influenced , by Italian needlework , which in it`s time was
influenced by Chinese influence ,,, Not to forget that all around the
Mediterenean , the Phoenicians , left their cultural marks ,
That is why i think Regional is the wrong word ,
mirjam
On 28 Dec 2003 22:32:19 GMT, ekoluvr (Tia
Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply ) wrote:

From:
(Mirjam Bruck-Cohen)

I don`t think regional is appropiate , becuase of the many Numads ,
that spread their knowledge in many regions ,,,,

Nomadic peoples DO stay in their chosen part of the world (assuming there are
no unwanted "geo-political influences") and that area can be called a region.
This is not to say that nomadic people have never gone outside of their chosen
area, just that, as a group, they don't **usually** do this. Bedouin tribes,
for instance (the first nomadic tribe that comes to mind), don't **usually**
travel all the way up to Europe or over to the Orient. If memory serves, they
pretty much stay in the desert regions of the Middle East and Northern Africa.

Old January 2nd 04, 07:40 AM
Brenda Lewis

Your previous posts suggest a certain stitch or style starts in one
location, spreads somewhere else, and mutates just like the flu. Why
not use the word variant. :-)

--
Brenda Lewis
WIP: "Pink Baby" photo frame, Candamar

Old January 2nd 04, 03:38 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Brenda This is an Excellent idea ,,, mirjam