Changing Kitchen Cabinet Glass

Old August 6th 03, 07:19 PM
Sheellah

Default Changing Kitchen Cabinet Glass

The problem with trying to do this, is that the glass is inserted into a
channel before the door is assembled, and then it's probably glued. It's a
shaker door style. They also have one where the glass in inside a mitered
frame. The doors are from IKEA, and they are that awful screened glass with the
squares on it. Would love to put in a better glass. If their glass doors can't
be taken apart, the other option is to buy a solid door, and route it out, but
then I would need a matching trim piece in the same wood color.

Anyone take apart an IKEA glass kitchen door, and replace the glass? Please
also e-mail me, if kind enough to respond. Thanks!
Old August 7th 03, 12:16 AM
Mike Firth

The security code requires that any glass within 40" of a lock be wired or
otherwise unbreakable. (section 1013.2) And locks on an egress door
(emergency exit in a fire) must be openable without special knowledge, i.e.
no key, no code, just a turn knob.

--
Mike Firth
Hot Glass Bits Furnace Working Website

Old August 7th 03, 03:23 AM
Richard Baines

Take the doors to a cabinet shop; ask if they can route it out if you have someone
cut out the glass. New glass could be installed with clips or silicone.

Dick Baines
Rainbow Artistic Glass

Old August 7th 03, 04:03 AM
Moonraker

Look again.

I've seen lots of kitchen cabinets, and made a few panels for some of them
in my time. I have NEVER seen a piece of glass permanently installed in a
door frame. I betcha you have overlooked a trim stop, most of them are on
the inside. Maybe the seam between the stop and the frame is painted and
you just don't see how to get the glass panel out of the door.

No reputable cabinet maker would ever install glass in a door while he's
making it. Too much chance for breakage in the shop and they need to be
able to repair breakage that might occur during shipping..

Old August 7th 03, 02:08 PM
Javahut

Go he http://www.cshardware.com/ look around, I have been buying from
them for quite a while, good stuff, great prices, and their clear clips are
great, don't break off like the cabinet clips from E Hoy, (cheaper too)

"ToddD" wrote in message
in article , Richard Baines at

wrote on 8/6/03 10:23 PM:

New glass could be installed with clips or silicone.

What kind of clips are you talking about here? And where to get them?
I've been looking for an aesthetic way to make the panels easy to remove

and
switch around.

Old August 8th 03, 01:43 AM
Richard Baines

We have clear plastic screw on clips that attach to the back of the door and
have a short nipple that presses against the glass to secure it.

Dick Baines

Old August 23rd 03, 11:24 PM
Clarke Echols

If the glass is in a slot and the sides were assembled with the glass
in place, there are a couple of possibilities:

(1) Disassemble two corners -- espcially nifty if you can make them
diagonally opposite.

(2) Get someone with a rounter and a small bit that cuts a narrow kerf
and have them set up a straight-edge guide (or use a router table)
to remove the wood on the inside side to the depth of the notch.
This will allow you to remove the old glass. You can then install
the new glass and add standard glass retainer clips with short (1/2")
sheet-metal screws (probably #6 diameter) to keep the new glass in
place, which is what should have been done when the door was made in
the first place.

Clarke

OT - kinda - broken glass story VManes Beads 32 November 21st 04 07:38 PM
Help from the US glass people, please? Su/Cutworks Beads 21 October 7th 04 10:14 PM
For those who want to know.. Making Beach Glass With Your Tumbler! Harry Beads 7 December 22nd 03 09:19 PM
Lampworkers meijhana Beads 46 September 27th 03 04:14 AM
Old glass receipts Matthew Spong Glass 0 July 4th 03 01:06 PM