Winter Sophistication Mittens

Old June 15th 04, 08:51 PM
LLWeisse

Default Winter Sophistication Mittens

Has anyone made the pattern for these mittens? I started and finished the
thumb gusset. My problem is this: The cable pattern after the thumb gusset
does NOT look right. I have tried many things with these mittens and still
haven't gotten them to turn out right. If anyone has any ideas I'd be
grateful.
http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/...istication.pdf

Laura W. (bookfan)

Old June 15th 04, 09:24 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Laura,

Does it look all right before you started the thumb? It follows along as before
that from what I can tell, you just add stitches for the thumb and after the
thumb you pick up two. It shouldn't have anything to do with the thumb
stitches.

HTH,

Nora
Old June 15th 04, 10:53 PM
Slinky

first thing i notice is the photographer put the badly-knitteed mitten
on top w/its sh*tty braid hanging out for the world to see. i also
note this is knitted flat when it would lend itself better to knitting
in the round.

those things said, i din't see any glaring errors in the written
pattern. i'd do a quick test knit but my left hand/arm is out of
commission fow a few week...

Old June 16th 04, 12:41 PM
LLWeisse

The problem I have occurs after the thumb is done and the other stitches are
picked up. After the thumb is completely done, the pattern continues like
before, but the cable pattern doesn't look right no matter what I've tried.

Laura W.

wrote:

Has anyone made the pattern for these mittens? I started and finished

the
thumb gusset. My problem is this: The cable pattern after the thumb

gusset
does NOT look right. I have tried many things with these mittens and

still
haven't gotten them to turn out right. If anyone has any ideas I'd be
grateful.

http://www.freepatterns.com/fp_pdfs/...ter_sophistica

tion.pdf

Laura W. (bookfan)

Old June 16th 04, 04:48 PM
Slinky

then chances are good that someone made an error transcribing the
instructions for the braid, which appears

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 06:41:47 -0500, "LLWeisse"
wrote:

The problem I have occurs after the thumb is done and the other stitches are
picked up. After the thumb is completely done, the pattern continues like
before, but the cable pattern doesn't look right no matter what I've tried.

ah, the cable pattern appears to be incomplete. i bet the top (ugly)
mitten was knitted by a tester who didn't know or care it was
incorrect.

http://www.fionasplace.net/AnIrishPa...nknitting.html

plaited aran cable, should do the trick for you. if it is wider than
the one in the mitten pattern adjust the plain sts count on either
side of th braid to compensate.

Old June 19th 04, 02:24 AM
Slinky

So how are the mittens working now that you have a sensible cable
pattern to knit from?