OT Update on my sister (long)

Old December 30th 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Judie in Penfield NY[_3_]

Default OT Update on my sister (long)

My sister is home from the hospital and doing well. She was released the
day before Christmas and they (she and her DH) stayed in Raleigh until
Christmas night and then drove the 3 hours home.

She's in an enormous amount of pain but trying not to depend too much on
the pain meds as she hates the way they make her feel. I tell her to
just keep taking them when she needs to and stop worrying about it, get
as much sleep/rest as she can to get better.

Butterfly, I had told her what you said about the first few weeks after
your surgery and she asked me to thank you for the information. I know
it made her feel a lot better to know someone else that I know
"personally" has been through much the same thing. My sister is at the
stage where she feels every day is an ordeal to be gotten through and it
hasn't gotten a lot better for her yet.

The surgeon hasn't really told her just how much of the lung he ended up
taking out, she says he just held up his fist and said about this
amount. I asked her how big his fist is and she tried to laugh.

Just to keep this a little bit on track, she tells me that she just
loves her quilt! She keeps the top folded down so she can feel the nice
soft, cozy backing. She says it's given her a lot of comfort. I know
she's still pretty sick since she hasn't seen any of the little messages
I quilted into the meanderings in the border, just words mostly such as;
I love you, quilted for my sister, made with love, love in every stitch
and maybe a few more. I did random words and I know when she's feeling
better she'll start to find those.

Please keep her in your thoughts for just a little longer,

Judie
Old December 30th 08, 02:16 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carolyn McCarty

Will do, Judie. She has not been out of my thoughts and prayers since your
first post on the subject. Thanks for the update, and tell her to hang in
there! We're all rooting for her!

--
Carolyn in The Old Pueblo

If it ain't broke, you're not trying. --Red Green

If at first you don't succeed, switch to power tools. --Red Green

Old December 30th 08, 02:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
maryd[_3_]

Glad to hear she is home. Sounds like she needs to ask for a different pain
med. Pain control is essential for healing and recovery.

--
Mary
http://community.webshots.com/user/m...host=community

Old December 30th 08, 02:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
AuntK

On Dec 29, 7:43*pm, Judie in Penfield NY
wrote:
[...]

Judie, FWIW my MIL had what sounds like similar surgery about 15 years
ago. It was certainly painful but the up side for her as well was no
cancer even though the Dr. thought it was sure to be. It's quite the
incision. It's only been a short time for your Sis and I'm sure in
the next couple of weeks she'll feel progressively better. My dear
MIL was back in form and golfing in about 6 mos. after her surgery.
I'm sure your dear Sis will be back to normal in what will seem like
no time relatively speaking.
Old December 30th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Michelle C[_3_]

I've been wondering about your sister, Judie, so I'm very glad for the
update. Sounds like she still has a tough row to hoe, but it is good that
she's home. I expect recovery from such a traumatic surgery takes a
significant amount of time.

I agree with your advice on the pain meds. Imo, having too much pain is not
good for the recovery process. Her body has to deal with that on top of
getting well.

I'm sure your sister feels loved, wrapped in your quilt. :-) She's feeling
those words you stitched into quilting, even if she hasn't seen them yet.

Keeping the good thoughts coming...
--
Michelle in NV
http://community.webshots.com/user/desert_quilter

Old December 30th 08, 03:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Thank you, Michelle, for carrying Judie's update on her sister. I've been
checking frequently hoping for news but my news group is still out
celebrating and a bit unreliable.
Judie, if you can, encourage your sister to take her pain medication.
Her surgery is a rough one to recover from and she needs them even if she
doesn't like the way they make her feel. After DH's bypass, he was indeed a
very strange critter on whatever they gave him. Didn't matter. He needed
to heal. Maybe there are other pain meds that she would do better with.
Someone could ask the nurses or pharmacists. (Those pharmacists are fine
folks and so very helpful.)
We still laugh about the Breach of Promise lawsuits DH incurred after
his bypass; he sure was friendly.
We continue to hold your sister and all of the family close in our
hearts and prayers, Polly

Old December 30th 08, 08:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
amy in CNY

Judie, Glad to hear your sis is back home and on the mend. Keeping her
and you in my thoughts.

amy in CNY
Old December 30th 08, 10:59 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
DiMa[_2_]

Judie, I am so pleased to hear your sister is home - I consider that the
best place to be to heal, surrounded by all the TLC she can get.

My prayers and healing thoughts on their way to your sister.

Di