handquilting equipment

Old October 16th 06, 09:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default handquilting equipment

Panduro and Fredensborg is now one shop - and at least on their website
they don't have any hoops/frames. (Although, actually, how can I be
sure, when I don't know that these are called in Danish??? - My Danish
quilting books are by Charlotte Yde, who uses a machine).

I guess I'll check on stability, if I do decide to go for a stand to go
with the hoop. No frame for me at this time, that's for sure.

Hanne in London

Roberta Zollner wrote:
I have a quilt rack by Danewood, very pretty, but not entirely stable.
(Might be my fault for loading it down with quilts.) Think my hoop came from
either Panduro or Fredensborg Indkoebscentral.
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
Well, the hoop I'm looking at is from a Danish company (danewood.dk). I
think I'll just go visit them at the workshop, it is only 45 min from my
parents house.

I'm sure in the US I could do better (on price), but I'm here in Europe! I
don't really want to buy this by mail order...

Hanne in London

Roberta Zollner wrote:
Goodness, the price of hoops has certainly escalated!
My current favorite thimble is the John James with the magnetic cap. The
dimples seem easier on thread than an all-metal thimble, and the little
magnet helps keep the needle from springing off into oblivion. You do
need a thimble to "rock" your stitches. Leather is very comfortable, but
I found that the blunt end of the needle tended to sink in as I rocked.
Don't be afraid to try very small needles -small ones tend to produce
smaller stitches, so you get good results with less effort. I use #12
betweens. If you have trouble threading, get one of those little wire
loop threaders.
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
So, I'm replying to myself...

Thanks to all of you for you suggestions.

I _think_ I'll do the following: Get a hoop (just a hoop, no stand) and
use my current thimble (which I got for hand stitching label, bindings
etc).

Apart from finance (the hoop I'm looking at is just over $30, the stand
for that hoop is another $170), I wanted to bring it back in the
suitcase when I next go to visit my parents (buy it there, that is). And
I think the stand might be quite heavy and possibly not pack up nicely.
I never did hand quilting before - maybe I won't like it at all. I
certainly can justify (to myself at least) $30 to try it out, but I'm
not so sure about $200 :-)

WRT thimbles: I've never done HQ, I have no idea what I'll prefer. I saw
that Alex Anderson in her book suggested getting cheapish thimbles for
various styles/fingers to test before (possible) buying more expensive
ones. I'll try with my leather one first, I didn't realise this could
potentially work, since books/web sites talk about needing deep dimples
for the needle to rest in. But I'll try.

At least this means I can try out hand quilting without spending a lot
of money up front. I am sure that if I like it, the finance will go the
same way as for piecing and machine quilting :-)

Thanks again, everyone.

Hanne in London

Old October 16th 06, 02:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Since you're in London, check this:
http://www.cottonpatch.co.uk/acatalo...ing_Hoops.html

Cotton Patch is a very nice shop in Birmingham. I would tend to trust their
quality.

[...]

DTH hammer and ODEX drilling equipment Bin Glass 0 August 28th 06 04:36 AM
equipment MJ Pottery 8 January 29th 05 08:16 PM
Handquilting with Rayon- A Good Thing? KittyG Quilting 20 July 11th 04 01:22 AM
Handquilting at the Fair Debbi Quilting 5 July 9th 04 10:37 PM
[ADVERT] Jewelry Tools and Equipment AJS Jewelry 0 November 4th 03 03:52 AM