handquilting equipment

Old October 13th 06, 09:17 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default handquilting equipment

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
Sarah Dixon wrote:
If you are having problems with eyeballing 1/4", have you tried
putting a piece of 1/4" sticky tape on your thumbnail? I'm right
handed and put a small piece on the thumbnail of my left hand, which
makes it really easy to check how your seam is going.

Sarah
in Durham, UK where it has finally stopped raining!

Oh, that is cunning! And I even have some of that florescent tape for
marking on rulers - only 1/4" tape I have.

Hanne in London

OK, don't use the florescent tape - it doesn't stick well to nails. But
otherwise, I really liked this. Gotta get some 1/4" tape, well sticky!

Hanne in London
Old October 13th 06, 09:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Do you know any auto detailers? They often have rolls of
various width tapes (incl 1/4") for their work and they are
easier to find in some areas and lots cheaper than a "craft
speciality item".

--

Cheryl & the Cats
o o o o o o

"Hanne Gottliebsen" wrote in message
:

Old October 13th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Cats

Answering self - should have warned you that the rolls I
have been given were enormous when new. Way more than I
needed. I batted my baby blue eyes at the boss and he gave
me a nearly finished roll in exchange for a batch of
homemade biscuits for the boys one Saturday. "Nearly
finished" for him was more tape than I will use in a
lifetime, but I wasn't planning on using it like Tiger Tape
over a whole quilt.

Otherwise cut a bit of electrical tape in a high contrast
colour as you need it.

--

"Cats" wrote in message
: Do you know any auto detailers? They often have rolls of
: various width tapes (incl 1/4") for their work and they
are
: easier to find in some areas and lots cheaper than a
"craft
: speciality item".
:
: --
:
: Cheryl & the Cats
: o o o o o o
: ( Y ) ( Y ) ( Y )
: Enness Boofhead Donut
: http://community.webshots.com/user/witchofthewest
:: Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
:: Sarah Dixon wrote:
:: If you are having problems with eyeballing 1/4", have
: you tried
:: putting a piece of 1/4" sticky tape on your thumbnail?
: I'm right
:: handed and put a small piece on the thumbnail of my
: left hand, which
:: makes it really easy to check how your seam is going.
::

Old October 13th 06, 11:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Cats wrote:
Answering self - should have warned you that the rolls I
have been given were enormous when new. Way more than I
needed. I batted my baby blue eyes at the boss and he gave
me a nearly finished roll in exchange for a batch of
homemade biscuits for the boys one Saturday. "Nearly
finished" for him was more tape than I will use in a
lifetime, but I wasn't planning on using it like Tiger Tape
over a whole quilt.

Otherwise cut a bit of electrical tape in a high contrast
colour as you need it.

I do have electrical tape, I also have regular width masking tape, so I
should be able to fix something. But it is nice to have 1/4" already
cut. I don't know anyone in auto detailing - not much of that stuff
going on in my part of town...

Hanne in London
Old October 13th 06, 01:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Goodness, the price of hoops has certainly escalated!
My current favorite thimble is the John James with the magnetic cap. The
dimples seem easier on thread than an all-metal thimble, and the little
magnet helps keep the needle from springing off into oblivion. You do need a
thimble to "rock" your stitches. Leather is very comfortable, but I found
that the blunt end of the needle tended to sink in as I rocked.
Don't be afraid to try very small needles -small ones tend to produce
smaller stitches, so you get good results with less effort. I use #12
betweens. If you have trouble threading, get one of those little wire loop
threaders.
Roberta in D

"Hanne Gottliebsen" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
So, I'm replying to myself...

Thanks to all of you for you suggestions.

I _think_ I'll do the following: Get a hoop (just a hoop, no stand) and
use my current thimble (which I got for hand stitching label, bindings
etc).

Apart from finance (the hoop I'm looking at is just over $30, the stand
for that hoop is another $170), I wanted to bring it back in the suitcase
when I next go to visit my parents (buy it there, that is). And I think
the stand might be quite heavy and possibly not pack up nicely. I never
did hand quilting before - maybe I won't like it at all. I certainly can
justify (to myself at least) $30 to try it out, but I'm not so sure about
$200 :-)

WRT thimbles: I've never done HQ, I have no idea what I'll prefer. I saw
that Alex Anderson in her book suggested getting cheapish thimbles for
various styles/fingers to test before (possible) buying more expensive
ones. I'll try with my leather one first, I didn't realise this could
potentially work, since books/web sites talk about needing deep dimples
for the needle to rest in. But I'll try.

At least this means I can try out hand quilting without spending a lot of
money up front. I am sure that if I like it, the finance will go the same
way as for piecing and machine quilting :-)

Thanks again, everyone.

Hanne in London

Old October 13th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Well, the hoop I'm looking at is from a Danish company (danewood.dk). I
think I'll just go visit them at the workshop, it is only 45 min from my
parents house.

I'm sure in the US I could do better (on price), but I'm here in Europe!
I don't really want to buy this by mail order...

Hanne in London

Old October 13th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

If you're only going to use enough for a thumbnail at a time, why not
just cut some ordinary masking tape the other way round?
Just measure a quarter inch and cut across the tape g
..
In message egni35$3bp$1@qmul, Hanne Gottliebsen
writes
OK, don't use the florescent tape - it doesn't stick well to nails. But
otherwise, I really liked this. Gotta get some 1/4" tape, well sticky!

Hanne in London

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old October 13th 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Yep, you're right! And the pink tape wasn't very visible anyway.

Thanks!
Hanne in London

.

Old October 13th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sally Swindells

On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 14:55:45 +0200, "Roberta Zollner"
wrote:

Goodness, the price of hoops has certainly escalated!
My current favorite thimble is the John James with the magnetic cap. The
dimples seem easier on thread than an all-metal thimble, and the little
magnet helps keep the needle from springing off into oblivion. You do need a
thimble to "rock" your stitches. Leather is very comfortable, but I found
that the blunt end of the needle tended to sink in as I rocked.
Don't be afraid to try very small needles -small ones tend to produce
smaller stitches, so you get good results with less effort. I use #12
betweens. If you have trouble threading, get one of those little wire loop
threaders.
Roberta in D

My sewing light has a magnifying glass attached. Since I started using
it to thread needles, have never missed!
--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)

Old October 14th 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

I have a quilt rack by Danewood, very pretty, but not entirely stable.
(Might be my fault for loading it down with quilts.) Think my hoop came from
either Panduro or Fredensborg Indkoebscentral.

[...]

DTH hammer and ODEX drilling equipment Bin Glass 0 August 28th 06 04:36 AM
equipment MJ Pottery 8 January 29th 05 08:16 PM
Handquilting with Rayon- A Good Thing? KittyG Quilting 20 July 11th 04 01:22 AM
Handquilting at the Fair Debbi Quilting 5 July 9th 04 10:37 PM
[ADVERT] Jewelry Tools and Equipment AJS Jewelry 0 November 4th 03 03:52 AM