handquilting equipment

Old October 12th 06, 10:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default handquilting equipment

So, I'm replying to myself...

Thanks to all of you for you suggestions.

I _think_ I'll do the following: Get a hoop (just a hoop, no stand) and
use my current thimble (which I got for hand stitching label, bindings etc).

Apart from finance (the hoop I'm looking at is just over $30, the stand
for that hoop is another $170), I wanted to bring it back in the
suitcase when I next go to visit my parents (buy it there, that is). And
I think the stand might be quite heavy and possibly not pack up nicely.
I never did hand quilting before - maybe I won't like it at all. I
certainly can justify (to myself at least) $30 to try it out, but I'm
not so sure about $200 :-)

WRT thimbles: I've never done HQ, I have no idea what I'll prefer. I saw
that Alex Anderson in her book suggested getting cheapish thimbles for
various styles/fingers to test before (possible) buying more expensive
ones. I'll try with my leather one first, I didn't realise this could
potentially work, since books/web sites talk about needing deep dimples
for the needle to rest in. But I'll try.

At least this means I can try out hand quilting without spending a lot
of money up front. I am sure that if I like it, the finance will go the
same way as for piecing and machine quilting :-)

Thanks again, everyone.

Hanne in London
Old October 12th 06, 10:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Oh, and, Maureen, that page at Quilt University is brilliant! the course
is full, but even so.

Hanne in London

Old October 12th 06, 12:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

If you are having problems with eyeballing 1/4", have you tried putting
a piece of 1/4" sticky tape on your thumbnail? I'm right handed and put
a small piece on the thumbnail of my left hand, which makes it really
easy to check how your seam is going.

Sarah
in Durham, UK where it has finally stopped raining!
Old October 12th 06, 01:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Sarah Dixon wrote:
If you are having problems with eyeballing 1/4", have you tried putting
a piece of 1/4" sticky tape on your thumbnail? I'm right handed and put
a small piece on the thumbnail of my left hand, which makes it really
easy to check how your seam is going.

Sarah
in Durham, UK where it has finally stopped raining!

Oh, that is cunning! And I even have some of that florescent tape for
marking on rulers - only 1/4" tape I have.

Hanne in London
Old October 12th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Maureen Wozniak

On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 04:38:39 -0500, Hanne Gottliebsen wrote
(in article egl2ev$4pj$2@qmul):

Hanne Gottliebsen wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you think the page is helpful. I considered taking the class
myself, but I'm just way to busy right now. Maybe next time its offered.

Maureen

Old October 12th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pat in Virginia

Default Tape for rulers was handquilting equipment

Good tip, Sarah ... and I like using the
florescent tape for that, Hanne.

That tape just doesn't show up enough to
be useful on the rulers, IMO. Do you
find it useful on the rulers? I put it
on the bottom. Should I stick it to the
top? Do I need double layers?
Suggestions appreciated.

PAT in VA/USA

Old October 12th 06, 02:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

My rules have lines in black or dark green only - with the yellow rulers
I can't imagine it would work very well.

I stick it on the bottom, to avoid distortion. I stick a length of it on
- maybe 10" for a 12" ruler. I've got pink and yellow, and chose colour
based on the colour of the fabric I'm cutting. Works for me.

I actually don't use it that much. I have one (I think) 12" square ruler
with _way_ too many markings on it, and worse (!) it doesn't start from
0 at the edge. I really don't like that ruler, but it is good for when I
need something wider than my beloved 6" Quilt in a Day rulers can
handle. But I have to use the tape, otherwise things will definitely go
wrong.

Probably I should replace that ruler...

Hanne in London

Old October 12th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN

The nail on my little "pinky" finger is about 1/4" wide -- close enough
to use for measuring seams and quilting lines.

Julia in MN

Old October 12th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy Ellison Sandy Ellison is offline
Banned

Howdy!

Since you've been using a thimble while sewing,
handquilting will (probably) be fairly easy/comfortable for you.

The hoop: if you don't end up using it to handquilt much,
it makes a nice frame for hanging up your artwork/quilting. ;-)
Also works as a place to hang strips of fabric, ribbon, shoestrings. g

Ragmop/Sandy

Old October 12th 06, 05:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sarah Dixon

I can't claim credit for the idea, I picked it up on here a while ago.
It has definitely improved my hand piecing!

Sarah

DTH hammer and ODEX drilling equipment Bin Glass 0 August 28th 06 04:36 AM
equipment MJ Pottery 8 January 29th 05 08:16 PM
Handquilting with Rayon- A Good Thing? KittyG Quilting 20 July 11th 04 01:22 AM
Handquilting at the Fair Debbi Quilting 5 July 9th 04 10:37 PM
[ADVERT] Jewelry Tools and Equipment AJS Jewelry 0 November 4th 03 03:52 AM