OT Story - Driving Test Follies

Old July 19th 03, 09:55 AM
Kandice Seeber

Default OT Story - Driving Test Follies

Hehehehe. Brings back memories!!! I failed the first time, because I
cannot parallel park. Still.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

This morning, P/T D's sister (Let's call her Mary) had an appointment to

take
the test necessary to obtain her driver's license. In Massachusetts,

every
candidate for a driver's license has to have a sponsor ride along in the

back
seat for the test. The sponsor must be over 21 and have a license in good
standing. Since Mary's mother had to work, I got tapped on the shoulder.
It's been a loooooong time since I've had anything to do with driving

tests,
and I was actually looking forward to it.

The test was scheduled for 10:30 a.m., so I met Mary at 9. She drove all
over town, and over the route I remembered for my own driving test (yes,

they
had cars back then). I had her practice backing up and three point turns,
and we went over the questions from the Mass. Driving Regulations Manual.
What? You didn't think we have regulations? Well, smart guy, we do.

Just
because they're so antiquated that they refer to conduct when passing a
streetcar doesn't mean anything. (No lie. The question I missed when I

got
my license was "What is the minimum distance necessary when passing a
streetcar?" "Beats the Hell outta me" is _not_ the correct answer. The
correct answer is that a driver may travel no closer than 6 feet from the
running boards of a streetcar in operation when passing.)

At about 9:30, Mary felt as if she was warmed up and ready, so we went to

the
testing site to spy and scope out the state troopers giving the tests. We
were hoping that they were good guys and not too tough. Uh-oh, the route

has
changed from what it was a bazillion years ago when I took my driving

test.
Still, we watched to see what was going on. We quickly realized that one

guy
was not in a good mood, so we wanted to try and wrangle our way into

getting
the more easy going trooper.

Still, we had boatloads of time before the 10:30 appointment. Out of
nowhere, the nice trooper turned to me and asked, "Hey you, when is your
appointment?"

I laughed, told him the appointment was for Mary, not me, and that we

still
had about a half hour to wait. He said that they were running fast today,

so
let's go. Mary looked like she was hoping for a hole to open up in the
pavement to swallow her up. But, having no choice, she got behind the

wheel
of the car. I climbed in the back seat and shut up.

More about the shutting up part: it is strictly forbidden for the sponsor

speak during the test, and if the sponsor coaches the driver in any way,

the
examiner will halt the test and fail the candidate. Way back when, the
examiner turned to my father and said, "Mr. Nicklas, if you don't shut up,
I'm stopping the test here and now." (Mr. Nicklas shut up and I passed)

The examiner ran my license and registration to make sure all was in

order,
took Mary's learner's permit, and started the test. She did perfectly,

using
her signal to pull away from the curb, taking the first corner like a pro,
and not going over 25 mph. I took a breath, thinking this was going to be

slam dunk. Then the examiner had her take a turn onto a side street.

Which she did. At 25 mph. Really, really wide, nearly hitting the curb

on
the opposite side of the road. The examiner and I held on and hoped she
would pull out of it. (I still stayed silent, but now I added prayers to

my
silence) He lectured her a bit for taking the corner too fast, but she
seemed to recover. He had her pull down another side street, then make a
three point turn. She made the turn, but forgot to use her signals.

(argh)
I realize no one uses signals during a three point turn, but you are

supposed
to do so during your driver's exam.

I was wincing inside, and Mary was now terrified. She's the kind of kid

who,
if she didn't pass the test the first time, wouldn't ever gather up the
courage for a second shot. I checked my kleenex supply in my purse,
absolutely sure I was going to need it.

The examiner then told Mary to parallel park behind a white car at the

side
of the road. I was worried about this, because I cannot parallel park to
save my life. But she nailed it. The first time, perfectly, ending up

about
two inches from the curb.

"That parallel parking saved your ass, Mary." said the examiner. "I was
going to fail you until I saw that. Then I realized the mistakes you made
were just nerves."

We all started breathing again, Mary rounded the corner, and the examiner
handed her the signed learner's permit. Beaming, Mary headed for the
Registry of Motor Vehicles to trade the learner's permit for a real

license.
The lady behnd the counter was very sweet, taking Mary's picture several
times until she had one that Mary liked, and offered her congratulations

Mary, and wished her the best.

All of a sudden Mary slumped. The tension had finally gotten ahold of

her,
and she asked me to drive. Good thing, too. There is a street fair going

on
in our town, and the traffic was horrendous. We drove to her mother's
office, and then circled the parking lot for twenty minutes looking for a
vacant spot. We finally found one in the handicapped area, and I pulled

in.

Immediately, some old hag pulled up behind me, screaming for me to get out

of
the spot, "since you don't look handicapped."

Apparently, the pressure had gotten to me as well. I pulled the pass from
the glove compartment, waved it at the other driver and got a whole

attitude:
"Is this freaking good enough for you? You got a problem with my
handicapped pass? Find your own freakin' spot!"

Poor Mary looked at me with huge eyes - I'm not usually so touchy. Must

be
that Massachusetts driver lurking below the surface.

Now we have another driver on our crowded roads, and I couldn't be

happier.
I get to go through this again in two years with P/T D, and three years

with
DD. I'd best start practicing deep breathing right now.

Kathy N-V

Old July 19th 03, 03:14 PM
Karlee in Kansas

"Kandice Seeber" wrote in message et...
| Hehehehe. Brings back memories!!! I failed the first time, because I
| cannot parallel park. Still.
|
| --
| Kandice Seeber
| Air & Earth Designs
| http://www.lampwork.net

Want help?? My dad (odd fellow he is) made me learn to drive backwards and parallel park before he let me drive
forwards and park "normally". I have yet to find a vehicle that I can't parallel park (of course, Mike's CO (commanding
officer) won't let me try it in a tank...). If you want, I'll teach you to parallel park in my truck...its a long bed,
mid size (88 Dodge Dakota, 1988 was the second year those suckers were made), and only two inches shorter than my dad
Chevy half-ton (but that is only cause of hood space...the beds are the same length), and by the time you are done
learning on it, you will be able to parallel park ANY car (mainly cause they are smaller than my truck and after I get
done with you, you'd be able to parallel park a tank too). I guarantee it. Driving and steering backwards is the key.
The other key is knowing where your bumpers are at all times.

Grins
Karlee in Kansas

--
Visit my web page! www.angelfire.com/ks3/karlee/index.html
Our family page: http://groups.msn.com/brennanfamilypage

Old July 20th 03, 12:36 AM
Christina Peterson

Parallel parking is easy. You just drive around until you find a space at
the end of a block.

Actually, I parallel park so seldom up here, I don't trust myself to do it
well in the city anymore.

Tina

Old July 20th 03, 06:46 AM
Kalera Stratton

In article ,
"Kandice Seeber" wrote:

Hehehehe. Brings back memories!!! I failed the first time, because I
cannot parallel park. Still.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
http://www.lampwork.net

Oh, the embarrassment... some days I get it spot on, and other days I
keep pulling out, backing in... pulling out, backing in... until I just
want to give up and drive away. Last week I was going to pick up my kids
at pre-school and I COULD NOT get into the spot. It wasn't a really
small spot, oh no... it was a perfectly accomodating spot, and I tried a
number of times, but just couldn't do it. Meanwhile, other parents (some
of whom wanted that spot) were watching me... people I see twice a week,
who will now forever remember me as "The Mommy Who Could Not Park".
Finally, the woman parked behind me pulled out, and I was able to sidle
up to the curb and drag my humiliated ass up to get the kiddoes. I've
never been so glad to get OUT of that place!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org
Old July 20th 03, 07:32 AM
Dr. Sooz

I know, I know, Kalera! I am usually a *genius* at parallel parking. But when
I'm very tired and hurting, I cannot do it. I was trying to park in front of
my house (in the dark) in front of my in-laws a few months ago. I was
exhausted, really drained and past my due date if I were a tub of dairy
product.....just wasted. I hadn't had a single drink, but I was parking like a
drunken fool. Back and forth, back and forth, up on the curb, etc. My MIL
came out to ask if I needed help. Augh! I was so humiliated. (She was trying
to help, but I just wanted to sink into the pavement and never come out.)

Oh, the embarrassment... some days I get it spot on, and other days I
keep pulling out, backing in... pulling out, backing in... until I just
want to give up and drive away. Last week I was going to pick up my kids
at pre-school and I COULD NOT get into the spot. It wasn't a really
small spot, oh no... it was a perfectly accomodating spot, and I tried a
number of times, but just couldn't do it. Meanwhile, other parents (some
of whom wanted that spot) were watching me... people I see twice a week,
who will now forever remember me as "The Mommy Who Could Not Park".
Finally, the woman parked behind me pulled out, and I was able to sidle
up to the curb and drag my humiliated ass up to get the kiddoes. I've
never been so glad to get OUT of that place!
-Kalera

~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
~ Bead Notes: Beading information A - Z
http://www.lampwork.net/beadnotes.html

Old July 20th 03, 02:51 PM
scaperchick

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:46:39 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

Oh, the embarrassment... some days I get it spot on, and other days I
keep pulling out, backing in... pulling out, backing in... until I just
want to give up and drive away.

I know, what's up with that? It's like some days my sense of spatial
relations is just gone. I either start out so far from the curb that
I end up parked about two feet from it (not kosher) or I start out so
close that I'm bumping the curb before I even get my butt in. Other
days, it's whoosh-swish and a perfect 8 inches from the curb with
parallel wheels. I don't get it! My current car isn't hard to park,
either - 4-door compact sedan with your average small-car wheelbase
and a fairly narrow chassis.

I like to blame it on having to park behind SUV's. But I like to
blame *everything* on SUV's. Heehee.
Old July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Kandice Seeber

ROFLMAO - yeah, that would definitely teach me! I have a really long car
now (a dodge intrepid) and I really have to be careful how I park.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:17 AM
Kandice Seeber

Yeah!!!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old July 22nd 03, 12:19 AM
Kandice Seeber

LOL - yep, I have gotten out of the car many times red-faced because I am
either a mile away from the curb, crooked, or scraping the tires on the
curb. That's even if there are no other cars around.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

See us at www.strattonhome.org

Old July 23rd 03, 02:27 AM
Deirdre S.

LOL! Sounds like something I'd do myself.

Deirdre

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 05:46:39 GMT, Kalera Stratton
wrote:

"The Mommy Who Could Not Park".