Writing on a mold?

Old April 18th 04, 10:27 PM
Sam

Default Writing on a mold?

I want to have small writing on my mold so that the resultant peice will
have little lettering on it.

I can do caligraphy, and I can do it small. I can probably even do it
backward.

But I can't do all those things while scratching it out of plaster.

I need something that I can maybe put on with a pen or a small brush
that will stick to the plaster mold, which won't come off in the slip, and
which will make little raised lettering. I don't think plaster will work,
because I really want a fine stroke. My letters have to be about typewriter
size.

Any suggestions? TIA.

Old April 19th 04, 01:47 PM
wayneinkeywest

First, I want to qualify what I say by stating that I do not
work with clay molds. I own them, but haven't used them
yet. That said:

Is it possible to create a mold of the words or letters you
want to use by engraving into clay... backwards, upside
down, whatever. You can even stamp letters. Bisque that, then use
the bisque to create a plaster mold section for the letters/words?
Should be fairly simple to cut out or engrave into a small
section of the mold to allow you to stick that smaller word/letter
mold into the larger mold wall. If you make the base the same size, such as
square or rectangular, by using a removeable adhesive like
silicone, you can even create many molds with different
letters, and insert whichever you require at the time.

The same technique is used for plastic injection molding, to
change the manufacturer's name and data, without having
to create a whole new (very) expensive stainless steel mold.

Hope that helps,
Wayne Seidl

m...

Old April 19th 04, 01:57 PM
Capricorn

Sam wrote:

I want to have small writing on my mold so that the resultant peice
will
have little lettering on it.

Easy as "Good morning"
Write your letters on a tick paper sheet (I mean at last half inch tick)
Cut it out, make a slab ticker than the paper and press the letters in it
using a roller.
When the letters are in the clay, carefully remove them (without damaging
the inprint) and pour chalk in it.
You'll have chalk letters that you can simply glue to the mold (if the mold
is not out from chalk) or incorporate with some more chalk ( if the mold is
made from the same material)
Have fun

Capricorn
--
"Those are nice moments M'lady..."
"Delightful indeed!"
Old April 19th 04, 02:38 PM
Sam

"wayneinkeywest" wrote :

Is it possible to create a mold of the words or letters you
want to use

Good idea but since each of my molds are one of a kind hand carved in
blank plaster, that wouldn't really be workable. I wish it were. Thanks.

Old April 19th 04, 04:24 PM
paula

"Sam" wrote in message om...
I want to have small writing on my mold so that the resultant peice will
have little lettering on it.

Any suggestions? TIA.

WOW! not sure how you would do that, have only seen tiny details on
expensive moulds made by masters. When i wanted to have my name raised
on pieces, i made two impress moulds one positive and one from that a
negative, and had a fancy oval frame around it. and attached a
"handle" to it. from this i cut out a cameo (cos thats what it looked
like and it was just like cutting out biscuits or scones--really
simple)and using slip i stuck it onto the pieces and it looked quite
classy. the cameo mould was about the size of the caps/lock button on
the p.c. I also made one about half that size. good luck, i hope you
manage to do it the way you want.
Old April 26th 04, 03:49 PM
Kathryn & Stuart Fields

Check out the press mold system of Giorgini (Lark Ceramics Series) in
"Handmade Tiles". He has a different method of creating the model from
which to create his molds. I've used it successfully and I'm the original
novice. It's possible that you could adapt your needs by looking at the
creation of your molds differently.

Kathy

"Sam" wrote in message
. com...