Has anyone used old washing machine wringers for clay slab rollers?

Old January 25th 14, 05:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Ginger

Default Has anyone used old washing machine wringers for clay slab rollers?

As a beginning potter I am considering using an old washing machine wringer
for use in slab making.
Does anyone have any experience in this method?

Old January 26th 14, 02:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bob Masta[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:44:02 +0000, Ginger
m wrote:

As a beginning potter I am considering using an old washing machine wringer
for use in slab making.
Does anyone have any experience in this method?

Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen one of those!
(Also been a long time since there has been any activity in
this group... g)

My (dim) recollection is that the rollers are spring-loaded,
not a fixed distance apart. I'd think that would mean the
slab thickness would not be constant, due to vagaries in
clay density and the rate you fed it into the rollers. But
there's probably a way to replace the springs with some sort
of fixed spacers.

If not, you might still use the wringers for all but the
last pass, which would use tried-and-true "rolling pin over
two wooden spacer rails" method. (Which some of us use for
the whole process!)

Best regards,

Bob Masta

DAQARTA v7.50
Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis
www.daqarta.com
Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, Sound Level Meter
Frequency Counter, Pitch Track, Pitch-to-MIDI
FREE Signal Generator, DaqMusiq generator
Science with your sound card!

Finished & in the washing machine Lizzy Taylor Quilting 1 June 9th 11 02:24 PM
felting in washing machine at home janet Yarn 2 April 18th 08 04:38 PM
Choice of slab rollers Stuart & Kathryn Fields Pottery 4 January 6th 06 03:13 AM
Old sweaters Into the washing machine !!!!! Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 7 April 11th 04 04:56 AM
Adventures with the washing machine Slinky Yarn 18 March 4th 04 08:13 AM