Need tumbling

Old July 8th 03, 04:39 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Actually you can tumble polymer clay - instead of shot, you use tiny pieces
of high-grit sandpaper.

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"vj" wrote in message
vj found this in rec.crafts.beads, from "Tante Lina"
:

]PMC
????????
okay - this is a new abbreviation y'all have come up with while i was
gone. the only thing i can think of is PolyMer Clay, and i can't see
putting that in a tumbler..................

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old July 8th 03, 06:40 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/sanding_tumbling.htm

--

Barbara
www.penguintrax.com

eBay: pnguintrax
Justbeadsenguintrax

0
/O\

"Dr. Sooz" wrote in message
I've got a very small batch of PMC pieces that need to go through a

tumbler.
At this time, I won't be spending the time on PMC work that I'd need to in
order to buy a tumbler myself (nor do I have the $$ to buy one). But I'm

still
itching to use these little silver pieces! I'm so excited!

Would anyone here be willing to send them through your own tumbler? I'm

happy
to pay for it. They're silver-blacked and just need to be polished up. I
don't want to send them to anyone I don't know, so I'm not asking
lurkers.......TIA~~
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 8th 03, 07:13 PM
Deirdre S.

Especially the garbage disposal, I suspect. The cat dumped a flower
pot into the sink a couple of weeks ago, and getting the small rocks
that were part of the potting mix out of the garbage disposal was an
adventure.

What I have read suggests rinsing it in a sieve, which makes sense.

OK, I'll do an online search for it. Just wondered if I could get a
hint from an experienced user :-)

Deirdre

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 19:41:11 -0700, vj wrote:

you have to be careful,
when you're rinsing things off, tho, not to drop any down the sink!

Old July 8th 03, 07:36 PM
Deirdre S.

Is that for polishing only, or can the hulls work-harden wirework as
well? That is my main purpose in trying that method. Polish and
strengthen in one step... sounds good to me.

Deirdre

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 20:57:09 -0700, "Karen_AZ"
wrote:

What I can't believe is the price of stainless steel shot!

I was talking to some really nice folks at the Flagstaff Gem & Mineral show
this weekend, and they recommended crushed walnut hulls instead. Showed me
pieces done with both the walnuts and SS shot, and I couldn't tell the
difference.

Old July 8th 03, 07:39 PM
Deirdre S.

Can't wait to see the results of what you learn there...

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 04:55:23 GMT, "S. B."
wrote:

I'll be off at a one week PMC
course next week,

Old July 8th 03, 08:23 PM
Deirdre S.

boggle How do you get five pounds of shot into a three-pound
tumbler? Or is there some kind of mystical math involved?

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:25:14 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
wrote:

Indian jewelers carries it. Get the mixed stainless steel shot. 5 pounds
is what you need for a small 3 pound loritone barrel tumbler. Total shot
and pieces should be about 2/3 full in tumbler and add water or burnishing
compound to cover. If using water a drop of dawn works well. Never use
amonia in the tumbler!

Susan W

"Deirdre S." wrote in message
.. .
Where'd you get it? I am in the market, too...

Deirdre

On Mon, 07 Jul 2003 17:45:59 -0700, vj wrote:

i've even already go the stainless steel shot in it and everything.

Old July 8th 03, 08:24 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks. That's what I suspected.

Deirdre

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 14:26:30 GMT, "Steve & Susan Wright"
wrote:

If you are doing wire work do not use walnut shells unless you want to pick
and pick! Walnut hulls also will not work harden the wire.
Susan W

Old July 8th 03, 08:31 PM
Deirdre S.

Well, I'll be jiggered.

Could you send sheet-sandpaper through a cross-cut paper shredder to
get the outcome you need for this? Since I don't do polyclay stuff,
the question is theoretical for me ... but it sounds like it could
save PC artists a whole lot of manual labor.

Are there drawbacks to this method that prevent it from being useful
for some kinds of pieces? Sounds like it might only work well for
simple forms with smooth surfaces, rather than detailed, dimensional
pieces.

Deirdre

Old July 8th 03, 08:32 PM
Christina Peterson

I can't remember exactly why hulls weren't recommended to us. It may have
been because pieces could jam into the silver work. But they were very
specific about steel shot.

Tina

Old July 8th 03, 08:45 PM
Deirdre S.

Thanks. That answered my question about the method. And a whole lot of
other questions I didn't think to ask ;-)

Deirdre