Delica or not?

Old July 7th 03, 10:13 PM
C. Gregory

Default Delica or not?

one thing that i've had problems with is the uneveness of my seed beads when
im doing brick stitch. one person told me i need to get delica beads, but i
just wanted to know if it really makes all that much of a difference, and
are there any other brands that would be more uniform as well? (never used
delica before, so i just dont know)

Old July 7th 03, 11:06 PM
Dr. Sooz

one thing that i've had problems with is the uneveness of my seed beads when
im doing brick stitch. one person told me i need to get delica beads, but i
just wanted to know if it really makes all that much of a difference

YES. Yes yes yes yes. Delicas will give you a *very* uniform appearance.
Czech will give you a much less uniform appearance, and regular Japanese seed
beads will fall somewhere between the two. It depends on the look you're
after. I like a more uneven, organic look, so I don't use Delicas.
~~
Sooz
-------
ESBC
Dr. Sooz's Bead Links
One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making
exciting discoveries. ~ A. A. Milne

Old July 8th 03, 02:39 AM
Christina Peterson

I like the soft edges of seed beads. It works just right with peyote.
Delicas and brick stitch on the other hand, will give you a flat tight even
"picture". And it doesn't drape or move; it's more static. It is very much
not my preference.

If I demanded more evenness, I (personally) would go with the very best seed
beads I could find.

But you might like Delicas much better.

Tina

rthlink.net...

Old July 8th 03, 04:02 AM
Mary Tafoya

"C. Gregory" wrote in message arthlink.net...
one thing that i've had problems with is the uneveness of my seed beads when
im doing brick stitch. one person told me i need to get delica beads, but i
just wanted to know if it really makes all that much of a difference, and
are there any other brands that would be more uniform as well? (never used
delica before, so i just dont know)

Delicas aren't actually that much more uniform, it's their shape that
makes them snap/snick together in some stitches. They are cylindrical,
whereas Czech/European beads are more doughnut shaped. Actually, this
factor makes Delicas kind of awkward in stitches where you want the
beads to bend around curves and such, but I would have to agree w/the
person who told you to get them for brick stitch. You will be pleased
with the results, I think.

Mary T. 8-)

Aunt Molly's Bead Street
http://www.flash.net/~mjtafoya/
eBay and Justbeads: seriousbeader
Old July 9th 03, 12:50 AM
C. Gregory

thanks all for your replies, i think i might give delicas a try for earrings
at least cause i kinda want the stick togetherness (is that a word?) in
them, but stick to seed beads for other stuff.

Anyhow, thanks again for your helpfull replies!
Celeste
"Mike Friedman" wrote in message
t...
I also prefer the seed beads to delicas, I like that organic look, but if
the delica comes in a color I don't already have, I buy it. And for some
reason there are ALWAYS delicas in a color I don't already have. ;^)
Laura

Mary Tafoya wrote in message ...

arthlink.net...

Old July 9th 03, 03:02 AM
Marilee J. Layman

On Tue, 08 Jul 2003 01:39:50 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

I like the soft edges of seed beads. It works just right with peyote.
Delicas and brick stitch on the other hand, will give you a flat tight even
"picture". And it doesn't drape or move; it's more static. It is very much
not my preference.

I think that depends on the tension. I use Delicas and still get a
beautiful hand with the bead fabric.

If I demanded more evenness, I (personally) would go with the very best seed
beads I could find.

But you might like Delicas much better.

Tina

arthlink.net...

--
Marilee J. Layman
Handmade Bali Sterling Beads at Wholesale