sewing machine prices?

Old November 11th 03, 11:53 AM
Me

CW wrote:
The reason they don't allow internet price posting is because it can drive
local stores out of business . It is not uncommon for people to go to a
local store to see and try out a machine then go on the internet and find a
better price. A local store cannot stay in business just as a demo facility.

However, some of us don't have local dealers. Some have
local dealers for only one or two machine lines. Those
dealers may be good....or may have a terrible track record
with the Chamber of Commerce and Small Claims Court. So,
being able to buy on the Internet or telephone is a life
saver for some of us.

The Worst Dealer of the Year is the fellow now in jail for
throwing bleach on a customer's quilts at a national quilt
show.
--

Joanne
Life is about the journey, not about the destination.

Old November 11th 03, 12:11 PM
Andy Dingley

On 9 Nov 2003 10:05:44 -0800, (Robyn) wrote:

I'm currently looking to buy my first sewing machine. I'd like for it
to be able to do buttonholes, and a reasonable number of stitches.

Go for cheap and reliable. IMHO, I like all-mechanical all-metal
machines of the '70s or '80s. They go wrong, but they're still
repairable in a way that so many more modern machines just turn into
scrap.

If it sews basic zigzags, then you can do bartacks. If you can do
bartacks, you can do buttonholes. Automatic buttonholing is nice, but
some of them are complex to setup or use, and they're all very
dependent on the reliability of the feed mechanism, both forwards and
backwards. I wouldn't rely on one unless it had some sort of top
feed.

Depending on what you sew, feed reliability can be significant. I
bought my Pfaff because it has a top feed foot. It's not a full blown
walking foot with a moving needle, like my Brother industrial, but
it's enough to sew pucker-free kites in thin, slippery ripstop.

Ergonomics are important too. I like my Pfaff because its so good at
this. I can reverse the feed by pressing a control (quick for scooting
back and forth) or by moving that same control the other way (hands
free). Little features like "stop at the top" and auto-threading are
nice, but I could live without.

Flatbeds and sleeve arms might be important to you. All of my machines
are flatbeds (by accident) and that is sometimes a little
inconvenient.

When I see the price of a new machine, and the flimsy looking
construction, I'm glad that mine is twenty years old and cost me
peanuts.

Old November 11th 03, 06:53 PM
M. MacDonald

Robyn, I'd check the reviews in www.patternreview.com to see what people say
about whatever model you're looking at. Also, make sure the post is more
than a few days old since many people believe the machine is wonderful in
the beginning only to find out later it has bugs or doesn't meet their
demands.

I'd also buy from a dealer that you can upgrade should the model you bought
not suit you. I did it three times in one year. All were traded for full
paid price to the next model up.

Prices are all over the place and usually better in larger cities where
mulitple dealers exist. I drive over 200 miles to my dealer but his prices
on the top-of-the-line models are often $2000 less than what the local
dealer charges. You need to be comfotrable that you won't need service or
instructions on a machine you buy over the internet or from a long-distance
dealer though.

The Janome Jem (or is it Gem?) seems to be a popular and well liked model by
some that cart them to classes and leave their heavier and much more
expensive Berninas at home.

Good luck.

Mack

Old November 11th 03, 09:39 PM
Me

Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

Amen. Most sewing is straight stitch. Only a small
amount requires a zigzag, and that takes care of
buttonholes, bar tacks, and I like a "blind hem" stitch on
my machine. Feed dogs that drop for free motion is also
an advantage. I took a short class in free-motion
embroidery and was surprised to find out how much you can
do with that. A zigzag makes it faster for fills and
outlines. I used to use the over-edge stitch, then got a
serger and don't use it much anymore.

I have 30 some machines, and have a full set of cams for
my Singer 401s, but was looking at my Pfaff 1475 the other
day and I think that I need to "explore" its possibilities
a little bit. I've got a couple of Singer 306s, too,
which take cams. That machine is semi-industrial. Then
there is the Willcox and Gibbs with its chainstitch...and
the beautiful iron lacework of its treadle. Time! I need
time!!!

Old November 11th 03, 11:24 PM
Robyn

Wow, thanks all. I've been reading this discussion and storing all
your tips in my memory banks. I finally went out and got a machine -
the Pfaff 1042. I'm in love with it so far :-) It does everything I
want (auto buttonholes, many different stitches, has good design,
etc.) I am most definitely a novice, so I don't know what others
would think about my machine, but I've had a great time already and
already made something on it! I made a cute little fabric holder
thingy with elastic gusset things to hold all my different sized
knitting needles. One slot for each size, plus plenty of room for
notions, etc., and even a few pockets! :-) One craft fueling another,
I guess.

Anyway, my decision was made primarily based on the feature comparison
from that Threads magazine, patternreview.com (thanks to the
posters!), and somewhat from blind luck and good salespeople who
helped me compare different models. Despite all the great resources
you provided for me, I didn't find too many reviews before purchase...
SO - I am now the proud owner, like it or not :-) I bought from a
place that has classes, good upgrade policy, very nice helpful people,
and a free get to know your sewing machine class (2 hours long). AND,
the store is appropriately placed right next to a fabric store (a
really good one), so I can kill two birds with one stone if I need to
buy fabric and have a question.

So now I guess I will go scouting for good beginner projects!

Thanks again for your help! I'm sure you'll see me around these
boards now that I've taken the plunge :-)

Robyn

Old November 12th 03, 03:48 AM
Kay Ahr

Congratulations on your new machine!

I have a Pfaff also -- Pfaff Creative 1475 CD. Thanks for reminding me how
I was in love with my machine when I first got it back in the early 90's.
I've done so little sewing these past several years. Now you've got me
excited again -- thank you! Since it's been so long, I feel like a novice
too.

I'm on break until December 1, so I'll be reading to see what you choose for
your first project. And maybe I'll get a project done too.

Kay Ahr in Reno
To reply directly to me, remove "WESTHI" in the email address.
---------------------------------
om...

Old November 12th 03, 01:05 PM
Shstringfellow

The reason they don't allow internet price posting is because it can drive
local stores out of business .

I don't think that's it at all- the prices could be posted, but they could not
allow internet sales. I just want to be able to compare prices easily for
different brands with different features without having to travel hundreds of
miles to go to different shops. Also, when they have these "sales" you would
know if you really were getting a deal- as it stands now, they could say you're
getting 25% off and charge you the regular price- how would you know?
SueS
Old November 12th 03, 10:07 PM
Robyn

I guess to me it makes sense that the manufacturers don't post the
prices. This could potentially undercut retailers. What I _don't_
understand is that even the online vendors that have nothing to do
with the manufacturers don't post prices. How is the sewing machine
business any different from the stereo, computer, clothing, or any
other business? In other industries, many vendors don't post prices,
but online e-commerce websites are free to do what they want. This
keeps capitalism alive and well, in my opinion...

Just my $.02!
Robyn

P.S., I'm glad I already decided on my machine so I don't have to keep
hunting for prices :-)

Old November 12th 03, 11:09 PM
Yarn Forward

CW wrote:
The reason they don't allow internet price posting is because it can drive
local stores out of business . It is not uncommon for people to go to a
local store to see and try out a machine then go on the internet and find a
better price. A local store cannot stay in business just as a demo facility.

But then try to get it serviced on the Internet! Dont expect your local store
to do it.
Roger.

--
Yarn Forward