OT wear an apron?

Old January 20th 10, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Default OT wear an apron?

This morning my sister asked me to make an apron for her. I couldn't be
more surprised if she'd taken to wearing a tiara. She says her hardware
store has a gift section that sells aprons made by the local quilt guild and
they are quite expensive. Of course, she doesn't know diddly about the
supplies and time involved in making an apron.
So. Anyone here love aprons? Which style? There are lots of them at
http://www.kwiksew.com/Verity_Search.cfm (you have to type in apron at the
search box but that's as close as I can show you). Polly

Old January 20th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Polly Esther wrote:
This morning my sister asked me to make an apron for her. I couldn't be
more surprised if she'd taken to wearing a tiara. She says her hardware
store has a gift section that sells aprons made by the local quilt guild
and they are quite expensive. Of course, she doesn't know diddly about
the supplies and time involved in making an apron.
So. Anyone here love aprons? Which style? There are lots of them
at http://www.kwiksew.com/Verity_Search.cfm (you have to type in apron
at the search box but that's as close as I can show you). Polly

What does she want to do while wearing it? Cook, garden, woodwork,
metalwork, weld?

http://tipnut.com/56-free-apron-patterns-you-can-make/ NAYY

For cooking I would go for a simple no pocket one that hangs around the
neck and ties behind the waist. Quilt weight fabric is fine - keeps the
flour and splashes off clothes quite OK.

Gardening & woodwork I would recommend a wide deepish pocket with a
couple of divisions for keeping hand tools in. Make of a home-dec
weight material.

Metalwork - no pockets as they can catch hot swarf too easily. Again
home-dec weight fabric or leather if for welding.

Lizzy
Old January 20th 10, 03:08 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Waaaah! Oh my goodness, no, Lizzy, she doesn't weld. She cooks.
Constantly. And wears nice clothes. However - she's the kind who can mess
up every pot and pan in the house just to prepare a bowl of corn flakes.
Polly

Old January 20th 10, 03:22 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I like wearing aprons. I like just a basic one:
http://etherwork.net/ejmtph/sew/apron.html

I think the pattern I use is an old McCall's one
that is similar. Nice thing about the style is
dh (or anyone else in the kitchen) can wear
one of these.

HTH, Taria

Old January 20th 10, 03:33 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

I always wear a bib type apron whenever I am moved to tackle a household
chore! That would be style B on the pattern picture. I do always like
to have a tissue about my person, so I would put a pocket on mine - I
put a square pocket on just one side (I find the ones that go right
across get out of shape). Also, I have used ordinary cotton and doubled
it (just folded). I folded in all raw edges about a half to a quarter
of an inch and topstitched all around. I even top-stitched over the
folded edge (bottom edge) so that it all looked the same. I used fairly
heavy tape for straps and ties (I am quite hard on my aprons). Ruffles
etc are a nuisance. I did make a pretty from-the-waist-only one once,
when I had to be continuing cooking when visitors arrived. That had
matching fabric ties rather than tape ties.
Your sister is quite right, they are expensive to buy. Those vinyl
covered are even more expensive, but great for wet and messy work. (You
can get that stuff in the guise of table covering! - by the yard).
Your sister and I must have been to the same cookery school. I can use
many utensils to boil an egg!
..
In message , Polly Esther
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old January 20th 10, 04:15 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

My choice would be something like pattern #3247. Very simple, no
frills to fall in the soup, adjustable straps. I've made lots of these
over the years. If you use normal patchwork cotton, you might want to
do it double, and you could make a reversible apron.
Roberta in D, wondering what they go for at the store

Old January 20th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jennifer in Ottawa

Years ago, I was asked to make a lined apron with bib for a church
friend of a friend- I said that supplies, including pattern would be
quite expensive - when finished, I priced it at $25 and that included
the broadcloth lining that I threw in plus not much else for making
the thing! She loved the apron and told our mutual friend that she
only agreed to pay the $25 because of that friendship - it was too
expensive otherwise - given that fabric in Canada is nearing the $20
mark for quality cotton meterage - I called it a bargain. jennellh

Old January 20th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Well, since you asked----Dh and I volunteer to be cooks & servers at the
park dinners (where we live during the winter months.) One lady was showing
off an apron here DIL made. It was square and double sided like a quilt
block. One side was autumn and the other side was Christmas. Set it on
point and add the ties at the waist. Turn down the point up at the neck to
face forward and tack it. It was beautiful!
HTH
Barbara in Florida where it is finally warm again

Old January 20th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Julia in MN[_5_]

My favorite apron is something like view C on McCalls pattern M5551 but
with only one pocket.
http://mccallpattern.mccall.com/m5551-products-8100.php?page_id=906 or
http://tinyurl.com/ygcsu43/ Mine has the neckband and ties all in one
long piece strung through a casing on the sides of the "bib" part. That
way it goes over the head easily but is adjustable to fit snugly against
the body. I also have a purchased one that has "D-rings" on the neck
strap to adjust it; that works well too. My little granddaughter wore it
for Christmas dinner -- with the D-rings, we could snug it up nicely to
protect her pretty dress.

Julia in MN

-----------
http://webpages.charter.net/jaccola/default.html

Old January 20th 10, 04:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Bobbie Sews More

Forgot to say that you also add a loop to go around the neck!
Barbara

that apron pattern I mentioned [email protected] Quilting 7 September 6th 07 04:52 PM
Looking for Grandma's Apron Story Audrey Quilting 1 November 25th 05 08:29 PM
apron pattern Kate Dicey Sewing 4 March 28th 05 11:42 PM
Bucilla Falling Leaf apron [email protected] Marketplace 0 January 26th 05 02:40 PM
Quilted apron Sindir Quilting 0 October 28th 03 08:29 PM