Quilting Cruises

Old August 15th 09, 02:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lizzy Taylor

Default Quilting Cruises

I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
new places & making new friends. One thing that had put me off was that
on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
the cruise ship. However I found this one:

http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

Has anybody been on this type of trip? Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
it? Did you learn lots? Would you do it again?

Lizzy
Old August 15th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Patti

Many years ago I did a (non-quilting) cruise from Bergen, up the west
coast of Norway to the Geiranger fjord. It was wonderful. This price
looks reasonable, even for single occupancy. I have read about a cruise
around the Western Isles of Scotland which, then, was over £3000.

It does sound lovely. It could have bad weather in those areas; but
then you have all your quilting lessons etc - and what fabulous
teachers!
..
In message , Lizzy Taylor
writes

--
Best Regards
pat on the hill
Old August 15th 09, 03:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Lizzy Taylor wrote:

I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
new places & making new friends. One thing that had put me off was that
on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
the cruise ship. However I found this one:

http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

Has anybody been on this type of trip? Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
it? Did you learn lots? Would you do it again?

Lizzy

I've never done a quilting cruise (DH isn't wild about going, though it
wouldn't affect him in the least; I don't think I'd ever go without
him), but I have cruised and enjoy it. The worst part of cruising is the
at-sea days, and this would eliminate that problem, as you'd be busily
quilting!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old August 15th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Dr. Zachary Smith

On Aug 15, 9:25*am, Lizzy Taylor wrote:
I must admit I like the idea of a quilting holiday, on a boat, seeing
new places & making new friends. *One thing that had put me off was that
on top of the cruise cost would be the cost of flying to the US to catch
the cruise ship. *However I found this one:

http://www.quiltcruises.com/EU10/index.php

Has anybody been on this type of trip? *Was it enjoyable? Was it worth
it? Did you learn lots? *Would you do it again?

Lizzy

I don't know... What puts me off is that on top of the cruise cost
would be the cost of flying to the US to catch the cruise ship. 8^P

Now if someone combined a quilting cruise with a poker cruise...

Doc
Old August 15th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Gen

How can the days at sea the worst part, with all the things there are to do
on a cruise?? I just can't imagine that. For me, there's never enough time
at sea to do all the activities that are offered. I've not done a quilting
cruise, but did an embroidery one. I don't think I'd ever do a class cruise
again, for the above mentioned reasons. Missed way too much that the ship
had to offer. I know 2 others that did take a quilt cruise, and they said
the same thing. I love cruises.
Gen

In article ,

Old August 15th 09, 08:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
"Gen" wrote:

How can the days at sea the worst part, with all the things there are to do
on a cruise?? I just can't imagine that. For me, there's never enough time
at sea to do all the activities that are offered. I've not done a quilting
cruise, but did an embroidery one. I don't think I'd ever do a class cruise
again, for the above mentioned reasons. Missed way too much that the ship
had to offer. I know 2 others that did take a quilt cruise, and they said
the same thing. I love cruises.
Gen

I love cruises, too, but mainly for the chance to go see a new place.
I've done several cruises, and the shipboard activities are okay, but
they're a bit repetitive. But -- as always -- different strokes .... G

In article ,

Old August 15th 09, 09:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Mary

I have never taken a "quilting cruise", but always take a tote bag
with quilting with me on board any ship! Sometimes I take wholecloth
blocks, which later become a part of a quilt made of wholecloth blocks
set off with sashing. Othertimes I take piecing. After breakfast and
a morning at the pool and then a light lunch, I get cleaned up, grab
my bag of stitching, and find a spot in a lounge by the windows, order
a soda pop, and stitch while bingo, a trivia quiz, or something else
is going on. I find that if you are reading a book people leave you
alone, but if you are stitching people tend to stop, ask what you're
working on, and stay to chat a bit. I adore days at sea!
Old August 15th 09, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
it is worth bearing in mind.

Cheers
Anne
Old August 16th 09, 01:57 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article ,
Anne Rogers wrote:

Sounds fun, have you ever been on a cruise (non-quilting) before? The
only reason I ask is because I have a friend who went on a quilting
cruise from Seattle to Alaska and despite having never had seasickness
on boat trips before, she had terrible trouble. I've not heard of anyone
else having such trouble, so she may well have been very unlucky that
the size of ship and weather and whatnot was just what set her off, but
it is worth bearing in mind.

Cheers
Anne

I get seasick every time I'm on the ocean, no matter what size the
boat/ship. On the first morning of our first cruise, our cabin steward
(a real sweetheart!) saw that I looked rather "green" and told me to go
straight to the desk area and ask for some Bonine. From then on, I've
always taken a pill every morning, and I'm fine.