Design help please

Old May 19th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

Default Design help please

On May 19, 10:40*am, John wrote:
I have a problem that has cropped up on the quilt I am working on. My
wife, when she sees it, thinks that the pattern of the hollow blocks
flow from top left to bottom right. creating the cascading effect. I
am not so sure and think the pattern flows from top right *to bottom
left. Now in most cases it would be unimportant, but there is going to
be a design element that will be introduced into the quilt at the
bottom that the flow of the block patterns is critical to it's
placement. On a recent small wall hanging quilt of solid color blocks,
of various colors, the flow of the pattern was obvious and pronounced.
Here, with the colors of the blocks identical, the pattern flow is not
as pronounced, and hence my quandary. I hope to achieve a consensus
from the cognoscenti, that being you, which will end the discussion. I
am afraid it is a right brain/left brain issue and it will forever go
unresolved, and I will just have to flip a coin and hope for the best.
It really does matter in the larger design scheme of things, in
relation to the total design theme, *so it would be nice to be right,
and not have to redo anything because of a bad choice. I await your
careful ideas, or random guesses. Whichever you choose to pronounce.
Here is the linkhttp://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2626385810100692635KRUHCc

Thanks

John

I love the answers. My wife loves them also. The preponderance appear
to support her view. Then again, I like the answers that suggest the
new design element will anchor the view as to direction. I think that
the slight difference in colors, is placing a visual
neutrality(whatever that means) to the perspective. If it were the
standard large difference in colors that go to making up the block,
then the flow would be more evident. The subtlety of color variation
introduces a curious visual perspective. You are unsure of how the
flow is portrayed. Top left or top right to opposing bottom corner.
Either way I think it will be interesting, when it is finished. I
hope. It is going to be set into a black background, of a 4" border
surrounded by a narrow piping outline of mottled yellow-gold around
that, and then an outside border of more black about 4-6" and the
final binding. As yet unchosen. At the bottom of all this is the
mystery design element. You will have to wait and find out what it
is.

John
Old May 19th 08, 05:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On May 19, 12:05*pm, Taria wrote:
That is what I see also. *I don't know about left and right brain
thinking. *By the time I had 2 genius babies both sides were pretty much
wiped out. *; )
It is beautiful. *I would like to see it rotated once to the left. *I
think the triangles might give more the movement you are looking for.
That is a guess though. You gonna tell us what the next plan for it is?
Perhaps you need to send the whole thing to *me for closer inspection.
TAria

Naughty girl. Johnny spank.
Old May 19th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

In article
,
John wrote:

[...]
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...00692635KRUHCc

Thanks

John

I can see it both ways, John. I think it depends on whether you've
focused on the pieces in the block, in which case it flows from top
right to bottom left, or whether you've focused on the entire block; at
that point it flows from top left to bottom right. I can't wait to see
what you're going to do with this!

--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://www.sandymike.net
Old May 19th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta Zollner

Might be just my monitor, but the low contrast allows it to "fall" in almost
any direction. I keep wanting to turn the monitor upside down :-) Very cool
design! IMO your new element will settle the issue and make it harder to see
all the other angles.
Roberta in D

Old May 19th 08, 07:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Rita L. in MA

Hi John,

I initially saw this moving from upper right to lower left. I was then
able to make myself see it run the other way then...

....you described the color differentiation. I am now ONLY able to see
it run from upper right to lower left.

More of a commentary on my vision than a recommendation, I think :-)

Rita L.

Old May 19th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Shirley Shone

In message , Patti
writes
Maybe my brain isn't as equal as I though - I could *only* see her
spinning clockwise and simply couldn't get it to go the other way!
.
In message fVgYj.170835$yE1.26827@attbi_s21, KJ
writes
http://www.theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php?p=27

Our differences in perception might be emphasized by this "test". I can
make her go both ways.

I got her spinning both ways.
Looking at John's quilt with my eyes in the Magic Eye mode I saw
definite mountains and valleys in the quilt.
I loved looking at the magic eye books and the big pictures they used to
have in the local market.
Hugs
Shirley
--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old May 19th 08, 07:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Carole-Retired and Loving It

With so little color variation, it's difficult to see, but to me, it
appears dominant from top left to bottom right, although I can also
make myself see it the other way.

On Mon, 19 May 2008 07:40:30 -0700 (PDT), John
wrote:

I have a problem that has cropped up on the quilt I am working on. My
wife, when she sees it, thinks that the pattern of the hollow blocks
flow from top left to bottom right. creating the cascading effect.

Carole D. - Retired and loving it in the foothills of NW Georgia

My quilts, crafts, QIs, and more - http://home.windstream.net/caroledoyle
Old May 19th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On May 19, 10:40*am, John wrote:
[...]

I really appreciate, all the opinions. I think, so far, that most of
you think it flows from top left to bottom right. We will see when the
super delegates cast their vote. What, you dIdn't know about the super
delegates? That is often the only way these things can be resolved.
Or, so it would seem.

John
Old May 19th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Anne Rogers

On May 19, 7:40*am, John wrote:
[...]

Isn't this one of those cases where either is valid and it's how it
jumps out at you at the time and if you didn't think about it you
could come back another time, or look at it from another angle and you
might think it flows differently. So another design element isn't
going to make anyone think you got it in the wrong place, it will
anchor the eyes and no one will even see it the other way and even if
you look for it, you probably will be wondering how on earth you
thought it could go the other way!

Cheers
Anne
Old May 19th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On May 19, 5:26*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
On May 19, 7:40*am, John wrote:

[...]

I tend to agree with you Anne. I think it is a coin toss.

John