OT A Plethora of Minor Catastrophes

Old April 23rd 08, 08:50 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Default OT A Plethora of Minor Catastrophes

I've been having a hell of a time getting back into the groove since my trip
Outside. Partly because "stuff" keeps happening. The latest, since my last
spate of posts, is an injury to my finger. I was wrapping a plastic bag of
frozen food around my hand (so it wouldn't slip out of my hand) to sling it
over my shoulder and carry it into the house from the freezer in the garage.
When I got into the house and looked at where my finger hurt, the last bone
was just kind of hanging limp and unresponsive. I tore the tendon on the
top of the finger that straighten the last joint open, and will have to wear
a splint for the next 6 weeks.

Just in time for all the Spring chores! Like burning dead wood, raking,
gardening, etc. Of course, it's just in the last 3 days that we've had warm
weather. It's been around freezing since I got back, until day before
yesterday when it got up to 45, and it's been close to 60 for the last 2
days. Snow is melting like crazy, then freezing slick as .. uh, ice over
night.

When I left for Mexico, it was around 30 Below -- up from 3 weeks of 45 to
55 Below. But before I got home we were getting temps above freezing during
the days. That means our "other freezer" developed problems, being as our
"other freezer" is just a wooden box on the porch. The wild lingon berries
(a red colored blue berry commonly called low bush "cranberries") that I had
spend over a week picking, needed to be cleaned of leaves, etc and made into
jam. So all week I cleaned (the most time consuming) and cooked and canned,
using up 20 lbs of sugar.

Then I stubbed my toe. I do it all the time, because I have such wide feet
those baby toes just seem to catch on things. But it was a little worse
than usual, all purple and all. Luckily I didn't have to go anywhere I
needed to wear civilized shoes.

And then more bad toes. I sat in my desk chair and swiveled toward my
computer and poked my big toe with a needle. So I checked the floor and
found the needle, which seemed to be blunt. The end had broken off in my
toe. It had entered at the very end of my toe (12 o'clock) and when I
checked out my toe, there was a white point on the next toe side at about 4
o'clock. I tried poking and digging and all kinds of things. Finally after
3 or 4 days I began to worry the needle would disintegrate and "travel"
within my foot (as happened to a friend's sister, as I found out later), so
I worked a little harder at it. Finally I got it with a pair of extremely
finely pointed tweezers, after pushing from the spot at 4 o'clock.
Fortunately, the needle was smooth enough I could pull it out with them,
instead of needing rough pliers. The piece I took out was at least 3/4 inch
long.

And then Pete hurt his back too. Doing Reiki and massage. Aside from the
distress, I really miss his help!

Then there's the problems with the weather and the truck. Usually Pete
would have been working in the woods already by this time of year. Instead,
the old work truck has been needing things like a new bed, axel extensions,
etc. And though the weather warmed up early, with above freezing temps in
Feb, it stayed around freezing until just a few days ago. Even the pussy
willows have only recently bloomed/emerged. We also had snow every day
until the same day it warmed up (about 10 days in a row).

We're kind of caught up now. Kind of ....... So something else is sure to
happen now.

And now I need to get caught up on posts again.

Tina

Old April 23rd 08, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Shirley Shone

Sending you big hugs and hope things get better soon.
Shirley

In message , Christina Peterson
writes

--
Shirley Shone

http://www.allcrafts.org.uk
Old April 24th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Carla

Tina, you poor thing! I think you might want to sit still and quiet for
awhile, maybe just read a book - paperback so it won't hurt your hand
(or toe, if you drop it g).

Sending loads of healing vibes your way.

Hugs,
Carla

Old April 24th 08, 01:28 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Mike Gribble

Tina, I think you and Pete need a holiday in NZ. You could play tourists
or we could sit and bead on the veranda, depending on the season.

Cheers, Jan
Old April 24th 08, 03:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Vicky

On Apr 23, 2:50*am, "Christina Peterson" wrote:
[...]

Wow rough girl you better take it easy Hugs from me too!
Old April 24th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Maren at google

On Apr 22, 9:50 pm, "Christina Peterson" wrote:
I've been having a hell of a time getting back into the groove since my trip
Outside.

Good grief, Tina, that's a lot of stuff all happening at the same
time.
- Using 20lb sugar in canning isn't a big deal here, but if you have
have it brought in that's a lot. And the rest is worse. -
I hope both you and Pete are doing OK.

Aloha,
Maren
Old April 25th 08, 08:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Today I slit the seams on the ring finger of my right glove so I could work
in the yard. The finger splint is too long and fat even for Pete's gloves.

Tina

Old April 25th 08, 08:33 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Even the thought of that is healing! Thanks.

Tina

Old April 25th 08, 08:37 AM posted to rec.crafts.beads
Christina Peterson

Good idea about that "light" reading. Wish I could keep quiet a while
longer. But now that it is warming up, I need to burn the dead wood around
the property before it gets dry. I do have a couple "kids" (in their 20s)
who are helping me, though sometimes getting help is just more work!

Tina

t...