thrifty Wellie Boot-sox

Old July 25th 03, 07:33 AM
Cher

Default thrifty Wellie Boot-sox

Hi all,

I seem forever scouring the charity/thrift shops in my never ending search
for yarns either for weaving or knitting. Well I turned up trumps last week
when I spied 2 x 400 grms balls of Aran navy for a mere one UK pound, they
are normally five and a half times that or more for this size.

Anyway, I thought I'd weave with it, using it for a warp, but then I
thought....Wellie Boot Sox, so using the Blueberry Waffle Pattern online
and UK size 8 dpns, I've run up some hugely thick sox just right for those
cold days out on the allotment.

Thought I'd share this, incase anyone would like to have a go, or anyone
else has done this pattern with this yarn and can offer some more input into
it. I'm saving one ball for a friend, as she is a spinning weaving and
knitting nut as well, and shares her finds with me.

Cheers.....Cher

---

Old July 25th 03, 05:13 PM
Katherine Burgess

Cher,
I have done the blueberry waffle socks, but never in a think yarn. I tend to
stick to plain ss for that.
Katherine

Old July 26th 03, 09:10 AM
Cher

Thanks for your return Katherine,

I've never done them this thick before, but they make absolutely brilliant
thick boot or wellie(welly) socks for cold winter days out digging or
working outside.

Cheers.....Cher

Old July 26th 03, 03:05 PM
Katherine Burgess

"Cher" wrote ...
Thanks for your return Katherine,

I've never done them this thick before, but they make absolutely brilliant
thick boot or wellie(welly) socks for cold winter days out digging or
working outside.

I like the thick socks for winter wear - inside boots, of course. When the
temperatures are regularly below minus 30°C, we need warm feet!
Katherine

Old July 26th 03, 08:36 PM
spampot

Cher wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Cher! I must give this a try, since the wellie boot socks we
bought in the UK some 20 years ago will not last forever -- unlike the
boots! You just can't find those socks over here.

Old July 29th 03, 05:41 PM
Cher

I must have missed this reply, sorry. Well mine are done and the pattern
works just great for the socks...not too huge but lovely and thick, and the
broken rib pattern tends to draw them in a bit. I've done them in teeny
guage wool too. as well as DK and home spun....seems alright no matter what
you use for them.