Summer greetings to all!

Old June 27th 08, 09:26 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles/Marianne

Default Summer greetings to all!

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to send you all summer greetings from Zurich. It is hot hot hot
here these days and my workshop is very tempting, but I have guests until
the middle of July, so that will have to wait.

My new kiln is a wonder with the new controller. I can now also set the
cooling rate, and have had much less problems with craters. Sadly, though,
the guy (one man business) that makes the glazes I buy from my supplier has
become very ill and is unable to make glazes these days. It is very serious,
and it might turn out that his wonderful non-run high-fire glazes won't be
available any more. It would truly be a loss if that were the case, as I
haven't seen or heard of any glazes that are so easy to brush on and so
wonderfully non-runny at high temps.

When I got my new kiln, hubby did some fixing up in the laundry so that I
now have plenty of shelves to store my unfired or glazed pottery until I
have a kiln-full. That gives me extra space in the movable shelf in my
workshop.

I did some experimenting with throwing porcelain a couple of months ago, and
loved the way it threw, but hated trying to cut openings in it when it was
leather hard! I probably didn't do it at the right time or with the right
tools, I guess, and have decided that it was too much dust and too much
trouble - so the rest (a few kilos) goes into my reclaim to be mixed with my
usual clay.

Been way too long since I stopped by - blame computer-crashes and busy-ness
in general since Christmas! Hope everyone is doing well and will be posting
more! GOSH! Imagine getting caught up after 6 months away - in one night!

Keep smiling!

Marianne

Old June 27th 08, 11:28 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

hi Marianne! i know how you feel about not being able to work - i have my
right hand bandaged up and will not be able to use it for at least another
month - i'm going seriously stir crazy though i am learning to hen peck
type - capitals are a problem.

new kiln sounds wonderful - hope you get a replacement glaze maker soon. i
don't suppose that your glaze maker would be willing to pass the recipes on
to another maker?

donna

Old July 4th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
Bubbles/Marianne

"D Kat" wrote in message
hi Marianne! i know how you feel about not being able to work - i have my
right hand bandaged up and will not be able to use it for at least another
month - i'm going seriously stir crazy though i am learning to hen peck
type - capitals are a problem.

new kiln sounds wonderful - hope you get a replacement glaze maker soon.
i don't suppose that your glaze maker would be willing to pass the recipes
on to another maker?

donna

Hi Donna!

What a bummer about your hand! I guess you have plenty of time to read lots
and get new inspirations. If you are left-handed, you could even design a
few things. Personally, I am still way behind in reading my Ceramic Reviews
and getting my album updated! Every chance I get, I work in the workshop!

The kiln is a dream - and so much easier to load, since the space is wider.
I also kept the shelves from my old (little) kiln, so that I can use those
to make kind of half-shelves here and there if I only have a few tall
pieces.

The guy I buy the glazes off (who buys them from the maker) wasn't even sure
if the recipes were written down, or if he just has them in his head. It
would be an awful pity if those glazes went out of existance. My guy would
love to buy the recipes, but so far has had no luck in that department.
There are other nice glazes, but they just aren't the same quality and ease
to work with. Time will tell.

Take good care of your hand so you get well as soon as possible and can get
all clay-gooey again!

Marianne

Old July 4th 08, 10:39 PM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
D Kat

thanks marianne - i am right handed so i am retraining my left to do things
and hen pecking with my right. i bought some polymer clay with this silly
idea that i could at least be making stamps and found that to be a cruel
joke...

good idea though on the reading - i will simply have to find something to
read or re-read. i may start reformulating some glazes as well.

many a time i wish i had half shelves to make better use of space. lucky
you!

i know you do high fire/oxidation glazes so i'm not much help to you in the
way of glazes (in fact i know of no one that does high fire/oxidation other
than you). - if you can post some pictures somewhere though they might be
ones that can be created or found one way or another.

hope you get those recipes and someone to make them up. donna

Old July 8th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.pottery
celestial_arts

"D Kat" wrote in message
hi Marianne! *i know how you feel about not being able to work - i have
my right hand bandaged up and will not be able to use it for at least
another month - i'm going seriously stir crazy though i am learning to
hen peck type - capitals are a problem.

new kiln sounds wonderful - hope you get a replacement glaze maker soon.

'Tis Summer..... Karen C - California Needlework 0 July 6th 06 09:18 PM
Summer is over for me ;-) Aud Yarn 25 August 16th 05 02:52 PM
Ot with official summer time declared , summer projevts come to mind. Mirjam Bruck-Cohen Yarn 12 April 2nd 05 10:35 PM
What I did this summer Bonnie Quilting 2 September 29th 04 03:29 PM
OT - I took the summer off?! Aprshowers Quilting 8 September 14th 03 08:52 AM