Chinese vs Japanese themed fabric (long)

Old June 10th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Chinese vs Japanese themed fabric (long)

Sorry, this will be long because of all of the links...here goes!

I'm playing with a pile of Asian-themed fabric scraps and trying to
sort them between Chinese and Japanese. My plan is to applique a large
center panel with a Chinese symbol for love or double happiness, then
use a selection of asian scraps for a border to make a small lap quilt
for a Chinese friend getting married. Japanese prints wouldn't be
disastrous of course, but I'd prefer to stick with Chinese if I can.
On the other hand, now that I'm looking up the scraps online, I'm
realizing that most seem to be intended to be Japanese (like the Kimono
Art lines ones). Do you think these would "pass" in a Chinese quilt as
well? Do any scream: "I don't belong here!"?

Red flowers: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabric/..._baltimore.asp
(4th row down, 3rd one in - the red one with the circles)

M'liss Rae Hawley - Kimono Art:
http://www.files.quiltknit.com/image...itb12kaka2.jpg

Another Kimono Art print with little yellow and pink fans (can't find a
photo, but something like this: http://www.hartsfabric.com/32168.html)

Kimono Art cherry blooms:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-8-AKA-37.html

cranes (can't find the exact one)

writing (chinese?):
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2684-V

butterflies:
http://www.cottonpatchquiltshop.com/...ge=misa-05.jpg

black/gold print and coordinate:
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2681-V
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2683-N

gold dragons (this one I know is
Chinese)(http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-K-5717-14.html)

Apparently this one is called dandelions, but it looked asian to me:
http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/...=0&last menu=

This is what I plan to use as border and backing (I so love this
fabric):
http://www.baumtextile.com/catalog/i...ct=True_Madder

These really strike me as more Japanese than Chinese (but what do I
know?):
http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...cea+1149943388
(I have it on white)

Thanks for any input! I don't know if all of these will "work"
together of course, but I appreciate any help eliminating the 'don't
belongs.'

Lynn

Old June 10th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Replying to myself (to laugh at myself)...yes, I see the first fabric I
listed is an 1800's repro print. Oops! I swear it looks just lovely
in my asian prints pile...

Lynn

Old June 10th 06, 01:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Chinese vs Japanese themed fabric (long) (now LOVE symbol)

I don't mean to hi-jack this topic, but do have a related question.

I was going to use the Chinese LOVE symbol on a baby quilt for a
newly-adoped Korean (step)grandchild, but had second thoughts (given
the history of China and Korea). Was I being overly politcally
correct?

joan
Helen Howes wrote:
quilter wrote:

Do you think these would "pass" in a Chinese quilt as
well? Do any scream: "I don't belong here!"?

Ah, A subject I know...

These three are definitley Japanese

Red flowers: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabric/..._baltimore.asp
(4th row down, 3rd one in - the red one with the circles)

M'liss Rae Hawley - Kimono Art:
http://www.files.quiltknit.com/image...itb12kaka2.jpg

Another Kimono Art print with little yellow and pink fans (can't find a
photo, but something like this: http://www.hartsfabric.com/32168.html)

This one is OK

Kimono Art cherry blooms:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-8-AKA-37.html

And cranes may be (watch out for writing)

cranes (can't find the exact one)

But these are definitely Japanese characters..

writing (chinese?):
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2684-V

These are OK

butterflies:
http://www.cottonpatchquiltshop.com/...ge=misa-05.jpg

black/gold print and coordinate:
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2681-V

But not this
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2683-N

This is OK, and all the others to the end. That last one is definitely
Chinese..
gold dragons (this one I know is
Chinese)(http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-K-5717-14.html)

Apparently this one is called dandelions, but it looked asian to me:
http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/...=0&last menu=

This is what I plan to use as border and backing (I so love this
fabric):
http://www.baumtextile.com/catalog/i...ct=True_Madder

These really strike me as more Japanese than Chinese (but what do I
know?):
http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...cea+1149943388
(I have it on white)

Don't use Kanji (writing) on a gift quilt for a Chinese person unless
you can read it...
Red and gold are auspicious for a wedding
Have fun with your quilt....

Helen Howes
Quilter and teacher of Chinese Martial Arts...
Our Lady of the Biscuits
www.helenhowestextiles.co.uk

Old June 10th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:
Was I being overly politcally correct?

You could do it in Korean, the official language. The Korean symbol
for love looks like this:
http://www.storesonline.com/site/480...uct/STA-INV-YY

Lynn

Old June 10th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

I agree with Helen.
Suggest you look for some peonies, chrysanthemums, bamboo. And bats are
almost as good as dragons. I'd avoid writing (those T-shirts in completely
fractured English irritate me, so nonsense script would probably irritate
the Chinese just as much.)
Roberta in D

"Helen Howes" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
oups.com...

Old June 11th 06, 12:48 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Speaking as a Chinese person, if I were to
receive such a quilt... (not a beg, really!):

quilter wrote:

Red flowers: http://www.robertkaufman.com/fabric/..._baltimore.asp
(4th row down, 3rd one in - the red one with the circles)

Looks okay.

M'liss Rae Hawley - Kimono Art:
http://www.files.quiltknit.com/image...itb12kaka2.jpg

This will pass.

Another Kimono Art print with little yellow and pink fans (can't find a
photo, but something like this: http://www.hartsfabric.com/32168.html)

This works, too.

Kimono Art cherry blooms:
http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-8-AKA-37.html

Works.

cranes (can't find the exact one)

Cranes screams "Japanese".

writing (chinese?):
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2684-V

Chinese

butterflies:
http://www.cottonpatchquiltshop.com/...ge=misa-05.jpg

Very neutral, will work.

black/gold print and coordinate:
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2681-V
http://www.andoverfabrics.com/OurCat...r=P0302-2683-N

The second one has Chinese words.

gold dragons (this one I know is
Chinese)(http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/item--i-K-5717-14.html)

Chinese.

Apparently this one is called dandelions, but it looked asian to me:
http://www.annsfabricsandcrafts.com/...=0&last menu=

Pretty neutral.

This is what I plan to use as border and backing (I so love this
fabric):
http://www.baumtextile.com/catalog/i...ct=True_Madder

Looks like cherry blossoms to me, which is
Japanese...

These really strike me as more Japanese than Chinese (but what do I
know?):
http://www.virginiaquilter.com/cgi-l...cea+1149943388
(I have it on white)

This will work as Chinese.

Sorry, the only one that doesn't really work for
me is the border/backing fabric that you love... ;(

-- Anita --
Old June 11th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

joan8904 in Bellevue Nebraska wrote:

I don't mean to hi-jack this topic, but do have a related question.

I was going to use the Chinese LOVE symbol on a baby quilt for a
newly-adoped Korean (step)grandchild, but had second thoughts (given
the history of China and Korea). Was I being overly politcally
correct?

Using the Korean symbol would be better.
It's not really a matter of being politically
correct, just that they are two different
languages and cultures, like Dutch vs.
German; you wouldn't use one for the other.

-- Anita --
Old June 11th 06, 02:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Irrational Number wrote:
Speaking as a Chinese person, if I were to
receive such a quilt... (not a beg, really!):

Oops, OK, thanks very much Anita! This is really helpful. Good thing
I have a year to plan and make this thing. I think I'll just start out
with the applique (double happiness should take me awhile!), and then
decide where to go from there. The funny thing is, my husband is (1/2)
Chinese too (he thought most were ok but wasn't really sure).

Lynn

Japanese Fabric - need info quick smart! Sharon Harper Quilting 14 November 30th 04 12:41 AM
Fabric collections for sale on Ebay Kristi M. Sewing 17 February 21st 04 05:34 PM
Japanese Embroidery Ctr - Mary Monica & Dianne Please Read Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply Needlework 11 December 5th 03 10:10 PM
FABRICS on Bidville joan Marketplace 0 October 5th 03 05:52 PM
Tapestry frame or embroidery hoop Jill Spottiswoode Needlework 7 September 22nd 03 10:27 AM