Armature Question

Old March 20th 04, 06:32 PM
www.hussydesigns.com

Default Armature Question

It's been years since I've done any work with a kiln and I've never
had my own but I recently purchased one (and am I the only freak who
actually names their kiln?) and I'm wondering if I'm recalling
correctly that aluminum soda cans can be used as an armature for
large-ish hollow pieces? Can anyone clarify for me? I know aluminum
is toxic when it burns, but I seem to remember that it does just burn
away in the firing process.

Completely unrelated but I'm also wondering the best way to apply mica
powders to bisque. Can someone point me in the direction a website or
something similar?

Thanks loads
Old March 20th 04, 07:11 PM
Uncle John

(www.hussydesigns.com) wrote in
om:

It's been years since I've done any work with a kiln and I've never
had my own but I recently purchased one (and am I the only freak who

I have a small question.

If you are going to use a solid object as an amature how are you going to
stop your sculpture from cracking as it shrinks
1 as green ware
2 as bisque
3 in the glaze or decorative firing?

Regards

John W
Old March 21st 04, 03:09 PM
www.hussydesigns.com

(I'm having newsreader issues so I'm having to post via the
archives...again.)

Well, in the firing process its assumed that the aluminum would just
burn
away and cease to be an issue, however in the greenware stage you do
have a
point. What if I were to 'cushion' the can (or whatever) with cotton
or
paper which would have some give when the piece began drying?

That might cause problems during the sculpting process though.

Jeeze, back when I was doing this before I was all about the wheel, I
really
didn't do any sculpting. Now that's all I ever do in any medium and I
can't remember how
I was shown to do hollow sculpture in earth clay, but I do know it
involved the burning
away of the armature.

Old March 21st 04, 08:26 PM
dkat

I would really not want to play with aluminum in the kiln and why would you
want to? The clay will shrink but the aluminum rims will not - meaning your
piece is going to crack. Why aren't you using something such as heavy paper
(trash bag type paper that when crush will hold its form but still compress
when the clay shrinks)? DKat

om...

Old March 21st 04, 09:12 PM
Uncle John

Uncle John wrote in message
(www.hussydesigns.com) wrote in
om:

It's been years since I've done any work with a kiln and I've never

I would also suggest you check out the newsgroup

alt.sculpture

John
Old March 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
BlazingHussy

Well, in the firing process its assumed that the aluminum would just burn
away and cease to be an issue, however in the greenware stage you do have a
point. What if I were to 'cushion' the can (or whatever) with cotton or
paper which would have some give when the piece began drying?

That might cause problems during the sculpting process though.

Jeeze, back when I was doing this before I was all about the wheel, I really
didn't do any sculpting. Now that's all I ever do and I can't remember how
I was shown to do hollow sculpture, but I do know it involved the burning
away of the armature.

Old March 23rd 04, 04:39 AM
Marmaj40

I am in a class for ceramic sculpture,and we use newspaper inside. Also use a
very large drill bit to hollow out pieces that will "sit" on the carved out
area that is not seen. Even a paper towel roll would not give enough to not to
crack the piece as it is drying.
Martha