Request: Ruby beads

Old June 24th 04, 02:26 AM
Paula C. Hunter

Default Request: Ruby beads

MiGem and Zuma both have some interesting shapes right now. If you need
links give me a shout. (Zuma you might have to email em for a scan).

Paula

"Kathy N-V" wrote in message
.com...
Mom's 64th birthday is coming up in July, and her birthstone is the
ruby. Ive seen a few ruby beads out there, but know little about the
stone, and don't know what a good price might be for them.

I was thinking ruby briolettes on the 24K 49 strand SoftTouch, with
either a slamming 14K gold clasp, or a smaller 22K clasp. Something
that would just graze her collarbone. Keep in mind that my hand
strength limits the amount of wirework I can do.

Any suggestions on where I can source some pretty, slightly gemmy,
but not too expensive rubies. Flat broilettes or machine faceted
rondelles are preferred, Mom likes funky shapes.

Thanks, the dopey but feeling no pain,

Kathy N-V

Old June 24th 04, 02:30 AM
lgreene

do check with migems. she's offering some sampler packs. i don't remember
what shapes, but i'm pretty sure there were rubies.

lisa

Old June 24th 04, 02:32 AM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Kathy,

Try these places: http://www.zuma-beads.com/index.html There's a BAM buy
going with them right now and they have some gorgeous ruby brios. Let me
know if you need more info.

Also try: http://www.migem.com/Categories/Ruby/ruby.htm. Again, there are
frequent MiGem buys on the BBB and BAM boards, so you can save there, too.

http://www.artgemsinc.com has both ruby and rubelyite.

Barbara

Old June 24th 04, 04:35 AM
BeckiBead

Kathy -- I checked the seller Crystal Cottage for you, because I buy from her
often (or did when I had money, LOL) and she usually has rubies of some sort.
Not sure if you can work with these shapes, but I can vouch for the quality of
her stones. I've never returned anything to her.

Becki
"In between the moon and you, the angels have a better view of the crumbling
difference between wrong and right." -- Counting Crows

Old June 24th 04, 08:35 AM
Christina Peterson

Thanks, Becki. Ruby is "the healers stone" so I have wanted to get some for
the healers I know. I especially like the smooth ovals.

Tina

Old June 24th 04, 01:58 PM
Karen_AZ

Artgems is excellent if not exactly bargain basement. They're literally
right across the street from me (DANGER DANGER!) so if you want some
handpicked please let me know. I've gotten rubies from them before (it's
mine and my mom's birthstone as well) and been very pleased.

KarenK

Old June 24th 04, 02:03 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Yes, it is.

Old June 24th 04, 02:06 PM
Barbara Forbes-Lyons

Just a followup (after I googled it), it is the pink end of watermelon
tourmaline. You do need to beware of imitators, evidently some folks sell
dyed quartz as rubylite.

Barbara

Old June 24th 04, 10:42 PM
Christina Peterson

I'm glad you mentioned that. I have some rubylite, that I thought was
awfully inexpensive, and that struck me as being too brassy colored for
tourmaline. Now that you mention this, I think dyed quartz is exactly what
it is.