teflon sheet fumes?

Old February 16th 08, 10:25 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

Default teflon sheet fumes?

I've been doing some fusing between 2 teflon sheets ... it stinks! I have
read warnings about fumes from teflon pans, and so this is making me
nervous. Anyone know if I really need be? Do I have my iron too hot? TIA.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old February 16th 08, 11:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've been doing some fusing between 2 teflon sheets ... it stinks!
I have read warnings about fumes from teflon pans, and so this is
making me nervous. Anyone know if I really need be? Do I have my
iron too hot? TIA.

Those fumes will kill a parrot stone dead in hours so I doubt they're
entirely safe for people either.

Can you do it outdoors?

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old February 17th 08, 12:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
John

On Feb 16, 5:25*pm, "Lobo" wrote:
I've been doing some fusing between 2 teflon sheets ... it stinks! *I have
read warnings about fumes from teflon pans, and so this is making me
nervous. *Anyone know if I really need be? *Do I have my iron too hot? *TIA.
Lobo
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There was a lot of posting on this subject. It probably wouldn't be a
good idea to use teflon sheets if you are doing anything that would
produce fumes/gasses as they can be unhealthy, when inhaled. As
stated, pet birds have reportedly been known to die from exposure to
them. As in canary in the coal mine type of thing.

John

Old February 18th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
allisonh

What about using parchment paper instead? The fusible stuff won't stick
and you won't get asphyxiated.

Allison in Montreal

Old February 19th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Lobo

I tried that and the fusible stuff did stick to it. I think I need a gas
mask. Will those white nose masks keep out the Teflon particles?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Delete the obvious to reply to me personally.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

m...

Old February 19th 08, 10:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Jack Campin - bogus address

I've been doing some fusing between 2 teflon sheets ... it stinks!
I have read warnings about fumes from teflon pans, and so this is
making me nervous. Anyone know if I really need be? Do I have my
iron too hot?

I think I need a gas mask. Will those white nose masks keep out the
Teflon particles?

The problem isn't particles, it's gaseous fluorine compounds. Nothing
short of a closed respirator will protect you, and even that won't work
for long unless it's specially designed.

I wouldn't do this except outdoors in a breeze with the fabric left to
air for quite a while to disperse the toxic stuff.

Look up the Laki eruption of 1783-4 in Iceland for what fluorine in
the air can do to you. (ok, that was rather a lot more of the stuff
than your iron is going to liberate...) Arguably the US War of
Independence would have been a much easier fight if the colonists had
waited until 1784 when the food production of the whole of northern
Europe was blighted with frost, dust and poison gas.

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====

Bernina Teflon Foot? Trixie Quilting 13 January 20th 07 07:17 PM
Bernina Teflon Foot? John Quilting 0 January 18th 07 11:28 PM
Teflon Betty in Wi Quilting 12 September 28th 04 02:46 AM
Fumes and ventilation Beverley Robinson Glass 3 January 23rd 04 10:15 AM
Hakko Smoke Absorber for sale, no more fumes tom crossno Glass 0 October 22nd 03 02:48 AM