How Difficult is Quilting?

Old April 21st 06, 07:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default How Difficult is Quilting?

Most of us could sew other stuff if we wished to ;-) And quite a few of us
knit, but it's not required.
(I started on the sewing machine at age 6, and had been doing simple outline
embroidery for a year or so before that.) But I knew someone once who had no
skill at all on a machine, couldn't sew a straight line no matter how hard
she tried. Her hand work was lovely, so she stuck to that.
So take a beginner class (check a local quilt fabric store), which will most
likely use a machine. Find some quilters who are willing to show you how to
hand piece and quilt. (Shouldn't be hard, we love to pass on skills.)
The main thing is to plunge in and try! It's not hard to find some form of
patchwork and/or quilting you will enjoy doing and learn to do it well. Like
most hand projects, these things take time, so don't let yourself become
frustrated when you don't get instant results. Lots of us enjoy the process
as much as the final product. We quilt because it's cheaper than seeing a
shrink and lots more fun!
Roberta in D

"Cindy" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
.. .
Hello,

I've always been interested in trying to learn how to quilt but I'm not
good at
similar things. Do you need to have a knack for sewing or knitting or
anything
to learn how to quilt well?

Thanks,

Cindy

Old April 22nd 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

This regards Roberta's post:: Lots of us enjoy the process
as much as the final product. We quilt because it's cheaper than seeing
shrink and lots more fun!

That is so true. I have made many quilts for the process just like you
said. Now that I embroider on the machine, I can make a quilt to
celebrate my joy. Whatever I think about creating, I can find designs
for it on an embroidery site, like emblibrary.com or embroidery.com and
make something. Now I am learning design editing and creating, and it
is more fun, and like you said, way cheaper than seeing a shrink and
healthier than, for example, drinking or smoking.l

Old April 22nd 06, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Mat, rotary cutter, and ruler are essentials. They are offered in a "kit"
at Joann's and WalMart and I'm sure other places.

--
Mary
"Cindy" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Roberta Zollner says...

Thank you, Roberta. There are a couple of stores I think I may be able to
take a
class from. What do I buy first? I have a sewing machine I got for
Christmas
that I haven't opened yet but I suppose I need supplies to get started and
I'm
obviously clueless!

Thanks,

Cindy

Old April 22nd 06, 05:36 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cindy:
First, go back to where you bought the
machine and ask for FREE new owner classes.
If that is not available, maybe a small
machine dealer will instruct you for a
reasonable fee. Next, do not buy your
supplies yet. When you enroll in a BEGINNER
or ENTRY LEVEL quilting class, ask for a
detailed supply list AND help in choosing the
supplies. Buy minimal requirement at first.
As you progress, you will better understand
what is comfortable for you. Finally, the
county library is one of your best tax
supported institutions. Use it!
PAT

Old April 22nd 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Ask the quilt store teacher for a list of supplies you will need. At the
very least, you need a Really Good pair of large fabric scissors (test drive
several kinds to find the best fit), some little scissors for snipping
threads, a rotary cutter -mat-ruler (again, try out several different ones),
some thread and some fabric. And some assorted hand sewing needles and pins,
maybe a thimble too if you find that hand sewing appeals. You probably own
an iron and ironing board, but if not, those are essential. Get the best
quality you can find -it never pays to buy cheap, because you will make up
the price difference several times over in frustration and cuss words.

Old April 23rd 06, 11:14 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

yeah, but what about all the chocolate?
(ducking and hiding Down Under).

--
Bronnie

Old April 24th 06, 11:44 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cindy, don't be afraid to ask questions. This newsgroup is a wealth of
information, as you can see. For every mistake you could possibly make,
someone here has already done it, and someone else knows how to fix it. And
remember, even ugly quilts can keep somebody warm.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

"Cindy" wrote in message
.. .
In article sYs2g.10933$_z2.10570@dukeread02, Pat in Virginia says...

Great advice, Pat, thanks so much!

Old April 24th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Cindy: You can consider everyone in RCTQ Land
as a mentor. Sooner or later we all teach
something. You'll soon find yourself sharing
what you learn, too!
PAT

Cindy wrote:

In article , frood says...

Cindy, don't be afraid to ask questions. This newsgroup is a wealth of
information, as you can see. For every mistake you could possibly make,
someone here has already done it, and someone else knows how to fix it. And
remember, even ugly quilts can keep somebody warm.

--
Wendy
un-STUFF email address to reply

snip

Thanks so much. Maybe I'll develop an online mentor :-)

Cindy

O YEAH!!!! Quilting part done lisa skeen Quilting 5 February 21st 06 04:47 PM
Quilting. Sally Swindells Quilting 2 February 14th 06 12:53 PM
Need help/tips learning Free-Motion Quilting Pat S Quilting 70 June 22nd 04 10:27 PM
Machine quilting, which design? Judie Luisi Quilting 5 March 14th 04 10:44 AM
terrrified Quilting newbie CHARLES MURPHY Quilting 0 August 14th 03 01:18 PM