Darn it!

Old January 25th 04, 02:25 PM
spampot

Default Darn it!

....not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local newspaper,
the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of the Home & Family
section) on the resurgence of knitting among young people, and the
on-line version isn't available (the site still shows last Sunday's
page) so I can't post it. Will keep trying...

Old January 25th 04, 02:41 PM
Katherine

spampot wrote:
...not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local
newspaper, the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of the
Home & Family section) on the resurgence of knitting among young
people, and the on-line version isn't available (the site still shows
last Sunday's page) so I can't post it. Will keep trying...

Please do! I'd love to read it.
Katherine

Old January 25th 04, 03:42 PM
NoraBalcer

Hi Spampot,

I'll have to check and see what my papers have, the may have picked it up.
Sounds interesting.

Hugs,

Nora
Old January 25th 04, 04:23 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Oh i thought you were speaking about Darning ,, i used to darn lots of
my clothes, and trhere is also a Decorative method of darning , in
fact , one can knit and than enhance it with decorative darning ,,
mirjam

Old January 25th 04, 10:12 PM
Stella Fenley

type in address
http://www.sunspot.net/features/home
see if this is the article.Stella

Old January 25th 04, 10:14 PM
JJMolvik

"spampot" wrote in message
...not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local newspaper,
the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of the Home & Family
section) on the resurgence of knitting among young people, and the
on-line version isn't available (the site still shows last Sunday's
page) so I can't post it. Will keep trying...

It's up now.
http://www.sunspot.net/features/home...,5820144.story

all one line. I don't know how to do the little urls.

JJMolvik

Old January 25th 04, 10:56 PM
spampot

JJMolvik wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message

...not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local newspaper,
the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of the Home & Family
section) on the resurgence of knitting among young people, and the
on-line version isn't available (the site still shows last Sunday's
page) so I can't post it. Will keep trying...

It's up now.
http://www.sunspot.net/features/home...,5820144.story

all one line. I don't know how to do the little urls.

JJMolvik

Yep, just checked & there it is.

Old January 25th 04, 11:01 PM
Katherine

JJMolvik wrote:
"spampot" wrote in message
...not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local
newspaper, the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of the
Home & Family section) on the resurgence of knitting among young
people, and the on-line version isn't available (the site still
shows last Sunday's page) so I can't post it. Will keep trying...

It's up now.
http://www.sunspot.net/features/home...,5820144.story

Thanks, Jenn, I found it.
Kandace has replied to Maggie's letter. She was thrilled, especially when I
showed her where Maggie lives.
Katherine

Old January 26th 04, 02:36 PM
CMM PDX2

JJ wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message
...not literally, of course. I'm just peeved. Today's local
newspaper, the Baltimore Sun, has a big article (front page of
the Home & Family section) on the resurgence of knitting
among young people, and the on-line version isn't available
(the site still shows last Sunday's page) so I can't post it. Will
keep trying...

It's up now.
http://www.sunspot.net/features/home...,5820144.story

all one line. I don't know how to do the little urls.

Hah! Thanks, Jenn - good article; I like the phrase "acts of making" in the
section about the Church of Craft. (and LOL on the church bit; now *that's* a
religion I could get interested in.)

I also liked the fact that these people aren't letting the attitudes of the
"...greater feminist community...", as the article put it, get to 'em. The
greater feminist community can go mind their own business. g I'm all for
equality; I appreciate them fighting the good fight, and continuing where
necessary; but they start yattering about those of us who like doing 'feminine'
things, I want to grab 'em and say, "Get a grip, people, telling us we
shouldn't enjoy crafting is being *oppressive* - isn't that one of the things
you were fighting against?" I *like* doing crafty stuff, why do they still go
on trying to make us feel guilty? And how do they feel about *men* who enjoy
knitting and other so-called 'feminine' crafts? Are they going to turn around
and accuse the men of trying to 'steal' said crafts from women? But gee,
people, you didn't want women doing all these crafts-- ::snort:: Null program,
zero intelligent content.

As if making something doesn't give you a feeling of empowerment. (oy, the
jargon... but you guys know what I mean.) Give me a fleece straight off a
sheep, and I can make *clothing*. Or art. Or both in one. This isn't power? As
well as a heckuva lot of fun. gg

Ok, ok, I know, stop ranting, I'm preaching to the choir. I'm just
remembering the article we all read from last year, by that columnist who
thought the resurgence in knitting was - how did she put it? A retreat into the
kitchen or some such, by women fearful of, oh horrors, Real Life? Yargghh.
*This* article is a piece of good reporting. Glad you mentioned it, Spampot, it
was a great read!

Monica
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old January 26th 04, 03:31 PM
spampot

CMM PDX2 wrote:
JJ wrote:

"spampot" wrote in message

[...]

I honestly think that there is no "greater feminist community" that
disapproves of women doing traditional things; What The Movement Is
About Is Choice. But reporters have to have an angle, or some
controversy, or what have you, to make their articles -- what? More
"interesting," more incisive, or (again) what have you. It's the
reporters who keep bringing up the granny angle and the return to
tradition and all that, just like they eagerly reported on "cocooning"
being a "new trend" because of the downturn in the economy. Take all
that talk w/a grain of salt, folks.

Darn cute bunny! Tinkster Beads 6 April 14th 04 08:44 AM
The darn cutest penguin beads! Tinkster Beads 11 March 3rd 04 04:44 AM
Darn it! Kalera Stratton Beads 3 February 22nd 04 03:26 PM
OT- FINISHED that darn paper! Cheryl Beads 17 December 5th 03 04:34 AM
oh darn, quilt pout Musicmaker Quilting 0 July 11th 03 12:17 AM