A Splendid Bead Show, Goofy Idle Thoughts

Old November 7th 04, 02:47 AM
Cheri2Star

Default A Splendid Bead Show, Goofy Idle Thoughts

Sounds like a lovely day - thanks for sharing!

Cheri
(Bubbee to Emily and Nathan)

It's my life
And it's now or never
I ain't gonna live forever
I just want to live while I'm alive - Bon Jovi
Old November 7th 04, 02:51 AM
Carol in SLC

Sounds like it was a great show, Karen!

I held back a bunch of beads pre-show, so be prepared for some nifty listings

tomorrow

Can't wait!!

Carol in SLC
Some of my stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/peace.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/elissa.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/oceansprite.jpg
http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/jarvis.jpg
Old November 7th 04, 03:32 AM
KDK

Where is this show??? Waaaah if I had known about it I would have tried to
make it.

Kathy K
"Karen_AZ" wrote in message
So today I did our local SGB bead show. Up at 6:30, much drama with DS
because he desperately wanted to go to a Pokemon card gaming tournament
but couldn't conjure a ride at the right time, etc. I felt bad but had
made it clear days ago (when he found out about the tourney) that this was
Mom's workday and I wouldn't be available for taxi duty. He's recovered.

Got to the show bright and early, grabbed the table space we had last
year, right by a door that included generous breeze and dazzling afternoon
sun. The day started chilly but warmed up fast, into the 80's. Mike and I
set up like we've been doing this together forever. G He's my official
Bead Pimp so he took over arranging trays and beads to their best
advantage. (He's REALLY good at selling for me, real charmer.) The morning
was busy and I made some very good sales. At 11 I slipped off to do my
first ever demo.....I did a few flutter beads since I'm more comfortable
doing them than anything else, and they sure look cool as they're being
shaped. I had an hour and by the time I did my third flutter my hands had
stopped shaking. (I was laughing at myself, I've done handspinning and
weaving demos since high school, you'd think I'd be OVER stage fright by
now.)

The afternoon was a little slower. I got friendly with the young
glassblowing/marble making couple across from us, and the director of
Sonoran Glass Works (way cool hot studio, home of the annual Tucson
Flame-Off) beside us. Thanks to Mike's being along I got to browse around
and talk to everyone else selling, as well. At one slow moment we were
just chitchatting about BIG glass, and I had a really bizarre "idle
thought" that ended up cracking everyone up. Why is it that Dale Chihuly
(glassblower extraordinaire) who lost an eye in a car accident and now
wears an eye patch DOES wear and eye patch instead of having a glass eye?
I mean, it just seems neglectful, artistically speaking. I'm sure there's
some serious medical reason or something, but it just seems wrong.
(Someone else commented on the terrible "oversight." groan)

I'm so glad I got out for a real, in person show. It's so easy to sell on
Ebay but I miss the feedback and watching people fondle my beads and
getting to see their reactions. I got some incredible compliments, like
"best beads we've seen here" and even a comparison to Michael Barley.
thud And thanks to some great observations, I'm full of ideas for stuff
to play with for Tucson! I can't believe that's only 3 months away. Oh,
and we bought a gorgeous wine stopper from one of my idols, Jane Praxel,
and I traded a bead for a gorgeous dichro marble. I'll take pix and post
them tomorrow.

I held back a bunch of beads pre-show, so be prepared for some nifty
listings tomorrow and through next week. And I did some housecleaning
(again) so there should be some "bargain" groups, too.

--
KarenK
www.desertdreameraz.com

Old November 7th 04, 04:08 AM
Karen_AZ

Where is this show??? Waaaah if I had known about it I would have tried to
make it.

Aw shoot, Kathy, I should've posted something for you!!! I'm so sorry. It
was in Mesa, at the Mesa Arts Center, just a one-day show for the "local
talent." (Of which we have LOTS.)

The extra cool thing was that we attracted some of the "big boys" to come
and play too. I'm taking an off-hand boro class at the Center now and the
teacher if half my age and 10 times over amazing. I got to try my first
reticello design on Thursday (blew a hole in it, dammit) but it was way cool
to at least try. Me, a blow hose, and BIG boro tubing....WOW!!!

We have to figure out how to get together, so you can have a private
showing. GGG

KarenK

Old November 7th 04, 05:15 AM
Margie

What a wonderful day, Karen! And your comment about the glass
eye....LOL...it's late and I'm slap happy but I'm still laughing!

Margie

Old November 7th 04, 05:42 PM
Dr. Sooz

I love shows. I loved working shows, as long as they were geared to my kind of
customer (a good fit is essential). But I'm talking rubber, of
course......They're exhausting in the extreme, though! WTG, Karen!
~~
Sooz
The things that will destroy us a politics without principle; pleasure
without conscience; wealth without work; knowledge without character; business
without morality; science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice. - M.
Ghandi