OT The New School

Old September 30th 09, 08:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default OT The New School

Well it has taken some getting used to on all fronts, but I do think
it is an improvement, so far anyway.
This is BOCES,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Board_o...ional_services

While they do get stipends from the local districts and the state,
they also charge the district tuition. The amount depends on the
services provided.
Just that difference to us at home is huge. We didn't have to send in
86 boxes of kleenex, a dozen dry erase markers, 6 boxes of chalk, and
a years worth of graham crackers, plus whatever they felt Ash himself
might need. We didn't have to send in anything at all. That was a
difference felt on the home budget let me tell you! Since DD3
graduated last year and won't start college until spring, this has
been the most financially pain free September we have had since 1986
when DD1 started kindergarten.

Ash started school on the 9th of this month. They start a few days
later, end a few days later, and don't have the massive number of
inservice days that the district does.

Just two weeks after he started we had the Fall IEP meeting. The state
requires two, one in the fall and one in the spring. His new teacher
is totally juiced about him. First off he is the most amiable and
well behaved kid in his class (of 4), and she believes that this is
already having a good effect on the other three.
Then to quote her, "He really does have total recall!". She found
this out working with flash cards and a dry erase board. She thought
the word 'refigerator' was too long for him and by the time she had
refiled it he had written it down, as well as the next word which was
'unicorn'. Then he refiled 'unicorn' while she was gaping at the
board, and he was poking her saying 'unicorn' (which is a word he
knows from his own flash cards). He will say words he has figured out
how to say, some sounds are easier for him than others. In this case
he was trying to prompt her for the next word, he does that at home
all the time. This did allow us to emphasize that for him treating
words as independent units works better than sounding out, or phonics.

They are working on trying to sort out which words that he writes he
actually associates with a meaning. A daunting task. I think it is
more than we know because he spending more and more time pouring over
his books rather than just copying out of them.
They are quickly sorting out which worksheets he has seen before as he
will fill them out quick as anything if he knows them. They also
discovered that they have to take the cards out of magazines since
otherwise he will take them out himself, fill them out, and line them
up in a row.

He loves the pool. Since it is a theraputic pool he doesn't even come
home reeking of chlorine. This is the first time he has ever had
access to a pool on a regular basis, he goes four times a week. The
director of the facility feels that learning to swim is an important
life skill (in this area it is, a great lake, a biggish lake and a
multitude of smaller bodies of water, rivers, and streams), so she
tries to make sure that every student in the students with
disabilities facility learns how to swim. So this is multiplely good
for our lad. They quickly learned that in the gym as long as he is
bouncing he is a happy boy. Since they have a trampoline they have
learned why Ash's independent aide is a needful thing! He can be up on
the thing and bouncing before they get the door closed if there is
nobody to hang onto him. So they are going to keep the aide at least
until after Christmas. They do eventually want to be done with the
aide, but they are not willing to run risks.

Naturally practically the first person he made friends with was the
biggest scariest security guard. Think Wesley Snipes as Blade, only
he talks less and growls more. One of the things they do the first
week is introduce all the kids to the security guards (parents got to
meet them on the introductory tour), so they know the guards and the
guards know them. Ash clapped eyes on this guy and immediately ran up
and gave him a hug and looked up at him and said Hi!. The guy smiled
at him, which just impressed the heck out of the teacher. Ash always
gives this particular guard a hug and a Hi! every time he sees him.
Our lad just liked him on sight. When I said hi the guy just nodded
and sort of rumbled, maybe I should have hugged him?

NightMist

--

Legolas is my house elf
Old September 30th 09, 09:45 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
onetexsun

Nightmist, it sounds like you're making progress. What a relief it
must be to land in a place where Ash is appreciated and understood and
where your concerns are being met. Ash is a lucky young man to have
your for his mom.

Sunny
Old September 30th 09, 10:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kate XXXXXX Kate XXXXXX is offline
Banned

NightMist wrote:
[...]

That sounds soooo good. Can I go to school with Ash, please?

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!
Old September 30th 09, 12:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Polly Esther[_5_]

Success. Progress. Hope.
I feel them all. Good for you, good for Ash. Oh my. Wow. I had to
read your report twice and smiled all the way.
So Glad they finally turned you loose and let you rattle swords until
you got attention and results. YeeeeeeeHa. (Can you tell I'm just
thrilled?) Polly

Old September 30th 09, 01:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
[email protected]

Great to hear!
Go Ash!! So happy to read your persistence paid off

Ginger in CA

Old September 30th 09, 01:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Roberta[_3_]

You just sound so happy! Makes me happy too! Every battle was worth
the grief, since it got Ash into such a great place.
Roberta in D

Old September 30th 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
KJ[_2_]

This is such good news! You must be thrilled. I hope it gets even
better!!
Kathyl
Old September 30th 09, 03:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria[_2_]

I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes to read this NM.
I am thrilled to read your report and so happy for Ash.
Thank you for the update and the good news.
Hugs, Taria

Old September 30th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
teleflora

"NightMist" wrote in message

[...]

I bet you feel like hugging yourself, as well, huh?

WHAT a change. And what an exciting time for Ash and his family. I hope the
program keeps the funding that it needs and that it continues to go well for
all of you.

Cindy

Old October 1st 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
M Enneking

It's so good to hear such a good outcome after all your struggles. Our
oldest son was born with multiple handicaps, the worst being severe hearing
impairment. That was not diagnosed until he was four years old, although we
had him tested several times earlier. He could hear some things and would
respond, so it was assumed he could hear but just was not interested in
talking.

When he started school, he did all right in some subjects, poorly in others.
I was told my expectations for him were too high, and that it was unlikely
he would ever graduate, and would probably have to do something like
janitorial work. My husband and I wanted to have him enrolled in a school
for hearing impaired students, but our local school officials did not want
to cooperate, because it was located 70 miles from our home town, and the
expense to transport him would be considerable, along with the other tolls
it would take. So we left him in the local school through second grade. On
the end of year achievement tests he got 100% in math and spelling, and
failed the reading and language portions. His classroom teacher went to bat
for us, saying they were not doing all they should be for him, if could do
so well in math and spelling, he should be able to do better at language
arts. Based on her insistence, he began the long commute and after a few
days there he realized how much it was helping him. It was the best thing
that could have happened. He was able to come back and complete the last two
years of high school locally, and graduated with honors. He is now almost
forty years old, owns his home and has a job with a large bank in Columbus.
He regularly goes to different areas of the country to help with training
and bank conversions. Not bad compared to the predictions from the county
psychologist.
Linda

New approach School yasin Jewelry 0 April 3rd 07 03:42 AM
Demo at school Wooly Yarn 9 May 7th 06 07:38 AM
Jewelry school TIJT sucks Jewelry 0 April 26th 05 03:45 AM
grade school Dr. Sooz Beads 10 February 22nd 05 08:26 PM
Need School Fabric Debbi Quilting 9 June 11th 04 02:31 PM