Diamond Settings

Old July 28th 09, 01:03 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

Default Diamond Settings

On Jul 26, 5:13*am, William Black wrote:
Maren aka HiloBeads or PalmsEtc wrote:

On Jul 23, 1:33 pm, William Black wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
What are the different types of diamond settings commonly available in
the UK market?
Stop being horrible to the poor chap.

He's obviously out of his depth.

Admittedly the depth he's out of is at the shallow end, *but that's not
really the point.

If he's from, *say, *India (which his name implies) and he has a retail
background there then he'll only have experience of the very
stereotypical jewellery you can buy there...

you can probably buy other jewelry in India too g
(but I think that's not what you were getting at).

I spend a lot of time in India and my experience is that the precious
metal jewellery made for internal consumption is beautifully made but
completely pedestrian and conventional in design.

There are large quantities of more fashionable jewellery (in Western
terms) available but it isn't available in the retail shops.

Even in Bombay (Mumbai), *the most cosmopolitan of India's cities, *you
very rarely see anything made in precious metals that isn't of
traditional design.

--
William Black

So I looked at the script
It was six weeks filming in the desert.
No girls, *no dialogue, *just guys with guns.
They said "Do you want wages or a percentage?"
It looked like a certain turkey.
When they came the second time I was ready.
I haven't had to work since...

Eli Wallach on his roles in
"The Magnificent Seven"
and "The Good the Bad and The Ugly

I just found something that can interest you. This article speaks
about different type of Mangalsutras http://tinyurl.com/mangalsutra
Old July 28th 09, 08:23 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Ganesh wrote:
On Jul 27, 9:21 am, William Black wrote:
In India it is normal for a middle class woman to have a jeweller who
will make her precious metal jewellery for her and costume jewellery is
on sale at just about every street corner.

But, and it's a big but, the social opportunities for women to wear
Western style jewellery are limited. Younger women could, but can't
afford it, and older women tend to wear traditional dress where Western
style jewellery just disappears into the gold thread embroidered sari

Traditional Ornaments often symbolize various GODs and every ornament
various from place to place. If you try to research a Mangalsutra
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mangalsutra) you will find it is made at
least using 1000 different types.

As is usual with articles on Wikipedia it's riddled with falsehoods.

Like the bhindi, the Mangalsutra is worn by Christian and Parsee women
as well as Hindu women these days

Old August 6th 09, 04:27 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Jul 29, 12:23*am, William Black
wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
[...]

I have seen some Christians doing that. They also wear saree instead
of the typical dress code.
Old August 7th 09, 03:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
[...]

What exactly is 'typical dress code' for Christian ladies in India?

My experience is that they were anything they wish to wear.

My experience in modern India is that ladies tend tow ear pretty much
what they wish.

You get Hindu ladies wearing T-shirt and jeans and Christian ladies
wearing a saree.

To bring it on topic, every Indian lady I know also invariably owns the
appropriate jewellery for the different outfits.

--
William Black

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Old August 8th 09, 06:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Aug 7, 7:02=A0am, William Black wrote:
What exactly is 'typical dress code' for Christian ladies in India?

My experience is that they were anything they wish to wear.

Nuns here do wear both white Saree and white veil. Though I have not
seen them wearing any jewelry at all.
Old August 8th 09, 06:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Aug 7, 7:02am, William Black wrote:
To bring it on topic, every Indian lady I know also invariably owns the
appropriate jewellery for the different outfits.

That's true, but is that not everywhere?
Old August 9th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Ganesh wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:02am, William Black wrote:
What exactly is 'typical dress code' for Christian ladies in India?
My experience is that they were anything they wish to wear.

Nuns here do wear both white Saree and white veil. Though I have not
seen them wearing any jewelry at all.

I haven't seen a nun in a Saree in years.

Those I do see seem to wear a plain grey or black habit and a simplified
head dress.

All wear a cross.

Old August 9th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Ganesh wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:02am, William Black wrote:
To bring it on topic, every Indian lady I know also invariably owns the
appropriate jewellery for the different outfits.

That's true, but is that not everywhere?

It is not unusual for ladies in Western countries not to either own or
wear any jewellery.

However, unless you're related to them, jewellers tend not to meet them...

Old August 10th 09, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Aug 9, 11:25 am, William Black wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:02am, William Black wrote:
What exactly is 'typical dress code' for Christian ladies in India?
My experience is that they were anything they wish to wear.

Nuns here do wear both white Saree and white veil. Though I have not
seen them wearing any jewelry at all.

I haven't seen a nun in a Saree in years.

In the south of India, I think I have seen nuns wearing them. I think
Mother Teresa used to wear one.
Old August 10th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Ganesh wrote:
On Aug 7, 7:02am, William Black wrote:
What exactly is 'typical dress code' for Christian ladies in India?
My experience is that they were anything they wish to wear.
Nuns here do wear both white Saree and white veil. Though I have not
seen them wearing any jewelry at all.

I haven't seen a nun in a Saree in years.

In the south of India, I think I have seen nuns wearing them. I think
Mother Teresa used to wear one.

The Sisters of Charity do wear a saree, yes.

However, they're not a full fledged independent order.

Diamond Settings Ganesh Jewelry 0 July 23rd 09 05:17 AM
Silver Settings? Mr.Ted Jewelry 2 November 26th 05 01:56 AM
OT - computer settings... Johanna Gibson Quilting 2 November 14th 04 07:22 PM
Advice on rub-over settings Bob Jewelry 2 August 26th 04 04:39 PM
Ring settings Shannon Jewelry 1 February 3rd 04 06:52 AM