Jewelry in India / Gems in India

Old August 12th 09, 08:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Default Jewelry in India / Gems in India

Ganesh wrote:

I am from India and I have not heard of magical stories associated
with diamonds other than the ones from India, which makes it unique
and special. There's nothing biased here about it. I did quote what
I've so far gathered from my surroundings. I have come here to gather
more information. Here in India diamonds are worn mostly to ward off
evil effects of planets only upon consultation of an expert
astrologer.

Except those sold in engagment rings...

Oh yes, and I'm still waiting to hear what exactly the usual dress of
Christian women in India is.

--
William Black

The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing.
If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Old August 12th 09, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Aug 12, 12:00 pm, William Black
wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
I am from India and I have not heard of magical stories associated
with diamonds other than the ones from India, which makes it unique
and special. There's nothing biased here about it. I did quote what
I've so far gathered from my surroundings. I have come here to gather
more information. Here in India diamonds are worn mostly to ward off
evil effects of planets only upon consultation of an expert
astrologer.

Except those sold in engagment rings...

I just checked some of the diamond rings they do not expose the
surface of the diamond to touch the skin check some engagement rings
here http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement...litaire-rings/.
Astrologically diamonds can be adverse for the owner if it does not
suit him/her. So, I assume jewelry merchants are taking this into
account when manufacturing engagement rings accordingly.

On the other hand rings in India are purposely made in such a way
that, stone placed in the ring is directly exposed to the skin.
See example
https://www.meenajewelers.com/detail...ne%29/Astrolo=
gical_BirthStone_Rings/4132/_Emerald__Ring_%2822k_Gold%29/
Old August 13th 09, 01:24 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
I am from India and I have not heard of magical stories associated
with diamonds other than the ones from India, which makes it unique
and special. There's nothing biased here about it. I did quote what
I've so far gathered from my surroundings. I have come here to gather
more information. Here in India diamonds are worn mostly to ward off
evil effects of planets only upon consultation of an expert
astrologer.

Except those sold in engagment rings...

I just checked some of the diamond rings they do not expose the
surface of the diamond to touch the skin check some engagement rings
here http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement...litaire-rings/.
Astrologically diamonds can be adverse for the owner if it does not
suit him/her. So, I assume jewelry merchants are taking this into
account when manufacturing engagement rings accordingly.

All the engagement rings made of gold and set with a diamond I've seen
on sale in India were made by jewellers after being commissioned.

Gold and diamonds are of such a price that the cost of making the ring
is negligible in an Indian context.

Every middle class Indian woman I've ever met had a jeweller.

Now, about the usual dress of Christian women in India.

Do tell us what it is...

Old August 13th 09, 08:27 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ganesh

On Aug 13, 5:24=A0am, William Black wrote:

Now, =A0about the usual dress of Christian women in India.

Do tell us what it is...

http://tinyurl.com/chattayum-mundum (About 'Chattayum mundum- the
traditional attire of Syrian Christian women')

http://tinyurl.com/goa-dress (Casual Dress in GOA)

http://preview.tinyurl.com/goa-cristian-trad (Dress during prayers, I
doubt this is GOA, India)

Cristian Women in India generally wear local dresses that's mostly in
common to other women living in that location.

Old August 13th 09, 04:30 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
William Black

Ganesh wrote:
On Aug 13, 5:24am, William Black wrote:

Now, =A0about the usual dress of Christian women in India.

Do tell us what it is...

http://tinyurl.com/chattayum-mundum (About 'Chattayum mundum- the
traditional attire of Syrian Christian women')

A T-shirt and a lungi!

Get real

http://tinyurl.com/goa-dress (Casual Dress in GOA)

Cotton dresses and a salwar kamese?

http://preview.tinyurl.com/goa-cristian-trad (Dress during prayers, I
doubt this is GOA, India)

All wearing salwar kamese (otherwise known as a 'Punjabi Suit') and a veil.

Cristian Women in India generally wear local dresses that's mostly in
common to other women living in that location.

I know, my wife is a Christian Indian.

There is no traditional Christian Indian dress.

Old August 15th 09, 06:09 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Ray Gabriel[_2_]

It is certainly true that India plays a major part in the diamond and jewelry
industry today, and the world wide markets in both. But please, don't let that
fact blind you to the fact that the rest of the world is also rather involved as
well...
Peter

Hi Peter & Group!

I didn't mean to start a culture war here! Just wanted
to pass along some background.

India had an extremely large part in the cutting and
"consumption" of diamonds and gems when it was home to the
various principalities ruled by the Maharajahs. This all
came to end at the close of the British Raj and the
formation of the states of India and Pakistan.

They consumed vast quantities of top and famous colored
stones and diamonds - many one-of-a-kind. Many
of these stones came from somewhere else -
Brazil, South East Asia (Siam, Cambodia, Laos, etc.),
various countries in Africa, most brought to India
by traders anonymously and sold to either cutters or the ruler
direct for cutting. And many of these diamonds came from southern
Africa, of course. Many weren't mined in India.

India does control the diamond cutting industry at the moment.
There is no question of that. Marketing, control of rough, sales,
etc.
are largely controlled by the Central Selling Organization / DeBeers.

Cutting quality is purely a matter of quality control. Many of
you have seen the "junk" cut colored stones, largely cut to
make them carat-heavy. I've never been sure where all those
stones wind up, but I've seen literally tons of them in Jaipur -
India's colored stone cutting center. Indian cutters are capable
of doing superb work - also making junk - but India has
always played a large part in consuming, trading and cutting gems.
There are certainly other notable cutting countries - including
Thailand and (now) China.

Finally, gems of all kinds (as well as precious metals) have had
"magical powers" in various cultures.

Ray
gems to excite your imagination! (tm) - since 1975
http://www.raygabriel.com
Old August 25th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Ganesh wrote:

But Koh-i-noor on records still is still the biggest finished diamond.
As per http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A730801 the stone originally
weighed 793 carats.

You're wrong again!

The "Golden Jubilee Diamond" at 545.67 carats is the largest finished
diamond in the world. By a very large margin.

And the Koh-i-Noor (105.6 carats) isn't the second, third or even 15th
largest finished diamond. Not by a long shot.

The "Cullinan I" or the "First Star of Africa" weighs 530.2 ct

And the "Cullinan II" or the "Lesser Star of Africa", weighs 317.4 ct.

"Spirit of de Grisogono" (found is west central Africa), weighs 312.24 ct.

The "Centenary Diamond" (btw, also NOT found in India) weighs 273.85 ct.

"Jubilee Diamond", 245.35 ct.

"Millennium Star", 203.04 ct.

"La luz de dia", 201 ct.

"Orlov", 189.62 ct.

"Jacob Diamond", 184.5 ct.

"Darya-ye Noor", 182 ct.

"Paragon Diamond", 137.82 ct.

"Florentine Diamond", 137.27 ct.

"Premier Rose Diamond", 137.02 ct.

"Tiffany Yellow Diamond", 128.54

"Star of the South", 128.48 ct.

"Portuguese Diamond", 127.01 ct.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old August 25th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Ganesh wrote:

A huge list of Indian Diamonds and their specialty is that they are
owned only my monarchs

So, what's your point?

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old August 25th 09, 08:42 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Abrasha

Ganesh wrote:
On Jul 30, 8:18pm, William Black wrote:
The vast bulk of the jewellery manufacturing industry serving export
markets shut down and people went back to their villages to await better
times.

These are temporary phases, things are improving now and companies
regaining. India has been a international market place for diamond
jewelry for the last 3000+ years. All the big Diamonds those you can
think about are from India.

3000+ years?!?

Yeah, right. India has been an "international market place for diamond
jewelry", since 1000 BC

"All the big Diamonds those you can think about are from India."
The first one I can think of, and the largest diamond ever found is the
Cullinan, found in Cullinan South Africa in 1905

The "Excelsior Diamond" was found in 1893 at the Jagersfontein Mine in
South Africa and was the largest diamond ever found until the Cullinan
was found.

The third one I can think of is the "Oppenheimer Diamond" from
Kimberley, South Africa.

The "Lesotho Promise" was found in, you guessed it Lesotho in 2006

I could go on for a while, but that would become boring.

--
Abrasha
http://www.abrasha.com
Old August 27th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
robynahawk

On Aug 25, 12:42 am, Abrasha wrote:
Ganesh wrote:
[...]

This is THE most fascinating discussion I have ever read on this
group...spirited and informational! I am really enjoying Google -ing
each of the stones mentioned and learning the lore, mystique, and
history behind each of them - thank you for sharing all this
knowledge.

Robyn Hawk
http://facebook.com/aflyonthewallblogs