New Question: E-bay / Marketing / Sales

Old August 11th 03, 03:57 AM
laura

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
news:1060569417.424445@prawn...
You know, I go to eBay to find new glassworkers, etc. You've got to do a
lot of scanning to find something, and then I usually make a guess as to
whether I want to see other things by the same artist.

I would imagine something similar could be accomplished by listings of
artists who sell their own works. It could be divided by type of work,

and
perhaps also by region or state. Does Wet Canvas do that?

It wouldn't be hard to set up a site that would feature a group of artists,
but the trick is in getting the large numbers of buyers to come in to the
site.

Laura

Old August 11th 03, 04:05 AM
Kandice Seeber

I sell on eBay mostly because that's where I get the best prices for my
work. I put items in my eBay store for those who want buy it now without
the auction hassle. I have auctions for those who like auctions. I use my
website as a gateway to my storefront. It's an easy way to get the traffic
and customer exposure I need, and it's relatively inexpensive when you
consider how much it is to advertise these days. eBay has a huge customer
base, and that's what I need. I don't get the same prices at Justbeads or
any other auction site, and I don't get the exposure at my web site. I get
*some* exposure at the web site, but not enough to justify making it my only
venue. And it's a pain to update. Hope this helps!

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

so many of the people here have gone to only selling on E-bay.
can i ask why?
because i don't do E-bay. which means that being able to buy is
getting more difficult, when i go to a website and it says something
along the lines of "see my auctions on E-bay".

any thoughts?

-----------
@vicki [SnuggleWench]
(Books) http://www.booksnbytes.com
(Jewelry) http://www.vickijean.com
-----------
The Bill of Rights - Void where prohibited by Law.
Regime Change in 2004 - The life you save may be your own.

Old August 11th 03, 04:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

Yep - I have an eBay storefront where people can just buy the items I have
without doing the auctions.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

If you go to the stores on eBay, you can usually just buy stuff. No

bidding
against other people.

]You can do that on eBay -- stick with the stores.

????????

i'm sorry - you'll have to 'splain that one, Lucy.

~~
Sooz
-------
Let the beauty we love be what we do. --Rumi
I'm not a hamster, and life's not a wheel. --Sooz
~ Dr. Sooz's Bead Links

Old August 11th 03, 04:06 AM
Kandice Seeber

Unfortunately my cupboards are a tad bare right now until the concentrator
gets here (Tuesday I hope).

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs
http://www.lampwork.net

If you go to the stores on eBay, you can usually just buy stuff. No

bidding
against other people.

For instance:
Marjean's sto
http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=1146230&ssPageName=L2

Kandice's sto
http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=639620

None of these things are up for competitive bidding. It's all Buy It Now

only.
~~
Sooz
-------

Old August 11th 03, 04:07 AM
Carol in SLC

The three day auctions keep her
stuff in one of those two places almost the whole time they are up, with less

time for customers to shop around and maybe buy elsewhere.

That's a very interesting observation, Laura! I think she might be on to
something!

Carol in SLC
My new stuff: http://members.aol.com/carolinslc/emma.jpg
Old August 11th 03, 04:08 AM
Kandice Seeber

Because it's easier on eBay. Registering with eBay is very secure -
sometimes a whole lot more secure than sending money through snail mail
these days.
--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]None of these things are up for competitive bidding. It's all Buy It Now

only.

okay - i'm still confused.
to USE the "buy-it-now" you still have to register with E-bay,
correct?

Kandice only has finished pieces in her store and Marjean's store
completely confuses me, because it says "buy-it-now", but then it says
not to use E-bay's checkout.

i KNOW i can just e-mail Nicole with items i need, but . . .

i'll figure something out . . .

my original question was why people abandoned selling on their own
sites.

-----------

Old August 11th 03, 04:14 AM
Kandice Seeber

Been there done that. Remember Eclectic Beadery? It was well done and had
a lot of talent (still does) but it's hard to get customers. It took so
much of my time that I didn't have time to make beads. Most of that time
was devoted to maintaining the site and advertising. And we didn't get a
lot of business, because good advertising costs money.

Most artists do not have the means to maintain and advertise their own site
enough to get enough customers to justify the cost. eBay does that for a
fraction of the cost. The fees are very well worth it.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

Old August 11th 03, 04:32 AM
Cheryl

I think there is a problem getting enough paying customers to a web site.
To sell from a web site you have to deal with the web site, domain, and
advertising.

ahh - didn't realize this was what Vicki meant.
I don't find having my own website that expensive. Additionally, if you are
running a legitimate BUSINESS and keeping records and paying taxes on it -
(like you should be.... ahem), then all of those expenses are totally
deductible.
I do a considerable amount of business direct from my website...
more than 3/4 of my sales are from my website, I just do the "one off and
unusual" stuff through my Justbeads.com auctions.
Cheryl of A HREF="http://www.dragonbeads.com" DRAGON BEADS /A
Flameworked beads and glass
http://www.dragonbeads.com/

Old August 11th 03, 05:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

No - that would be fee avoidance - a major no-no on eBay. If I did this, I
could get kicked off, and that would be a bad thing for me, sorry. If you
see something of mine for sale on eBay, it should be purchased through eBay.
eBay is fairly harmless for buyers.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]Yep - I have an eBay storefront where people can just buy the items I

have
]without doing the auctions.

so . . . i can e-mail you for them, rather than going through E-bay?

-----------

Old August 11th 03, 05:02 AM
Kandice Seeber

Oh, yes. Lots.

--
Kandice Seeber
Air & Earth Designs

]Unfortunately my cupboards are a tad bare right now until the

concentrator
]gets here (Tuesday I hope).

ah - so beads WILL get added there????
cool!

Posting Question angela Beads 25 August 7th 03 12:57 PM
Question for Kandice BedazzlingJewels Beads 5 August 1st 03 07:05 AM
Monsterslayer / Beadalon question mªdcªt Beads 6 July 28th 03 09:10 PM
Another event sales report/conventions Kaytee Beads 0 July 24th 03 12:23 AM
Another question.... Question about Beading Thread Ken Knecht Beads 3 July 16th 03 06:24 AM