You know what? Crucify me, but it's true

Old July 14th 05, 12:06 PM
Kandice Seeber

Yep - I agree.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net

Kandice, it's being discussed publicly because it is a public issue. If
you
open a store or start a company and you can't meet your obligations, there
are retail and corporate authorities which creditors can report to in
Australia, governed by the Trade Practices Act. I imagine there is
similar
legislation in the United States. Accepting payment for goods and failing
supply the goods is fraudulent. Accepting goods for repair and failing to
return the goods is a form of theft . If I were to accept a piece of
jewellery for repair and subsequently lose it or it's stolen from my
studio,
then I would either have to pay for the item out of my own pocket or make
claim on my business insurance. Peter Rowe has a very good piece about
insurance currently posted on rec.crafts. jewellery. I suggest that
everyone
who has a small studio/ business reads it.
Marisa AU/NZ

This is such a hard thread to respond to. I think Kalera summed it up
really well.
I'm disillusioned because most of the people here and also on other
forums
chose to stick by Starlia, even after she disappeared and came back to

start
fresh, including me, so her recent attitude has felt almost like a slap
in
the face. There is a fine line between being inspired by and outright
copying for profit, and I have seen Starlia cross this line more

frequently
of late. She's insinuated she doesn't care that she's been copying so
blatantly. I haven't said much because I'm still pretty shocked by it.

It's also hard to read about people who she hasn't made reparations to
for
past business dealings gone awry. It kind of makes me feel like I was
idiotic for sticking by her and trying to defend her in the past. I
personally have now heard of at least half a dozen people who have been
trying to contact Starlia for different reasons relating to money or
merchandise. The dishonesty about many things has caused me to rethink
allying (sp?) myself with her.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen Starlia around here the last few

days,
since there are a couple of threads here about her now. She's been on
the
other forums - I do think it would be a good idea for her to come back

here
and clear the air - come clean about what's up.

People may be asking why we are discussing this publicly - well, normally

wouldn't get behind this kind of individual finger pointing. However,

there
comes a point when the bead community needs a little heads up so that
they
too don't fall into the trap of trusting someone who seems like she may
no
longer deserve that trust.

--
Kandice Seeber
www.lampwork.net

I wasn't going to say anything about the copying... I've mentioned it in
passing, elsewhere, where it was topically relevant and without

mentioning
any names or specifics. But it's been brought up here and while I've
already said about everything I have to say on the matter, I do want to

add
that I am heartbreakingly disillusioned with Starlia. Not just because
of
the copying; although it's tacky and hurts my feelings because she's
someone I know, it's not a major issue for me.

It's the business practices, and general honesty. There's just one
thing
after another, and I don't think she, like many people, is aware of how
interwoven the bead community is. I know people she failed to come

through
for when she vanished a few months ago, reputable people who paid her

for
their auction wins which they never received, and they say that she

still
ignores their attempts to get in contact with her. Between that and the
problems people on this group have had in their direct dealings with

her,
and the ongoing issues with copying, I am sad and disheartened.

Starlia, if you read this, I hope you will get help, and will do what

you
need to do to make right your dealings with others.

Dr. Sooz wrote:
Then there are the business practices.

There are two people on RCB I know of who have had to come after you,
Starlia -- posting in public because you refused to answer their
emails
and had not made good on something they ordered from you. You are
also
growing in notoriety because of doing this sort of thing to other
people who don't share this newsgroup.

You can't run and hide -- for instance, changing your user name on
eBay
every once in a blue moon to clean up the problems. Or disappearing.
Or changing crafts completely and starting over. Karma doesn't need
your address, or your feedback rating -- it keeps its own score.

Isn't it so much easier to just keep your business practices clean?

--
-Kalera
http://www.beadwife.com

Old July 14th 05, 12:11 PM
Marisa Cappetta

There are much bigger issues here than a philosophical argument, Stephanie.
The facts of the matter are very disturbing indeed and the outcome could be
grim if matters are not set right without delay.
Marisa AU/NZ

"Stephanie" wrote in message
oups.com...
I guess some people will only ever be craftspersons and not artists.

Can you market Faux Kaleras?

Old July 14th 05, 05:49 PM
starlia

I'm not hiding. I've been incredibly busy and I come to this. Kalera,
I did not copy you and I definitely did not mean to hurt your feelings.
If you will remember I said I was working with raku and mentioned that
in a much earlier thread. Yes I came up with all these designs on my
own several months ago and not from LE etc. I shown them to my friends
the same day Kalera put hers on LW etc.

As for copying Dawn on anything thats laughable. Those are my own
designs and if you remember I took a class with Janice Peacock who does
masks. Those masks are my own and not a copy of anyones as are the sea
urchins. Who are those suppose to copy for Christ's sake! And then
the leaves. What the hell? Those are mine too along with the color
choices! I don't see it! The ruffles have been on eBay a long time
before now and will be on there again. I don't see any resemblance to
the spinners at all. The spinners are a cool idea and I like them.
I'm not doing those and don't see that I will.

Sooz you can say what you will and you will do that. Okay. Bare teeth
and all but these are all pretty easy designs. I'm just ****ed that
none of you can see that they are mine.

Old July 14th 05, 05:50 PM
starlia

This is my freaking design! I came up with them several months ago.
I'm not saying Kalera didn't come up with them on her own either. It
happens.

Old July 14th 05, 06:01 PM
starlia

Kandice - When did I ever say I didn't care if I was copying? I don't
think I've insinated such a thing. I don't want you to feel like an
idiot because all my past dealings have been accounted for, at least I
think they all have except for Linda's.

I'm trying to clear things up and I'm here. I have a lot of things
going on right now, Trinkett is sick, a friend is in the hospital, etc.

Old July 14th 05, 06:13 PM
Dr. Sooz

~Bare teeth and all but these are all pretty easy designs.
~~~~~~~~
I said we bared teeth in defense of you in the past.

Old July 14th 05, 06:15 PM
Dr. Sooz

~.....these are all pretty easy designs. I'm just ****ed that none of
you can see that they are mine.
~~~~~~~~
"Easy" has nothing to do with it.

I'm amazed tht you don't get it.......Actually, I believe you do get
it. But you know that to admit it would make you legally culpable.

Old July 14th 05, 06:17 PM
Dr. Sooz

~I have a lot of things going on right now, Trinkett is sick, a friend
is in the hospital, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~
I think many of us could claim similar distractions in our daily lives.
But that doesn't cause us to stiff our customers.

Old July 14th 05, 06:21 PM
starlia

I'm not stiffing customers and I'm not copying for Christ's sake.
What's up?

Old July 14th 05, 06:24 PM
starlia

Kalera I responded to you privately.

True Newbie.. CJ Quilting 11 February 13th 04 05:34 PM
OT - phone scam apparently true Queen of Squishies Quilting 0 January 6th 04 09:27 PM
So true......... CNYstitcher Quilting 0 September 24th 03 02:48 AM