john flynn frame + q snap floor frame

Old July 3rd 05, 03:08 PM
Frank & Renee

Default john flynn frame + q snap floor frame

Does anyone use or have an opinion on the Q-Snap Floor frame? I'm thinking
of buying one for basting and use in fabric dyeing/painting. We only have a
couple of plush carpets in the house (ref: laying the quilt on the floor and
basting) but we have dogs and cats. Our long terms plans are to take out
all the carpets and put in hardwood flooring. Therefore, there will be no
place for basting. I'm only doing wall hangings right now but my husband
wants a queen size for our bed so we picked out a pattern today.

I was also wondering about the John Flynn Multi Frame...any experiences or
opinions?

Thanks,

Renee

Old July 3rd 05, 04:34 PM
Linda Sweigart

No opinion on the Q-snap frame, but as for laying your quilts on the floor I
do have a suggestion that works with any type of flooring, and it doesn't
matter if you have pets. I have 4 of those cardboard, foldout, grided
pattern boards (36" x 72" each) that I bought one at a time at JoAnn's with
their 50% coupons. I lay them out on the floor and play.

Linda

Old July 3rd 05, 04:36 PM
Taria

I like Harriet Hargraves book method for sandwiching quilts. I have
a fold up banquet table and never have any trouble at all. It is
handy to have for big family get together and folds up and out of
the way when not being used. Costco has one that goes to several
different heights that I am eyeing. I use bed risers for my standard
height one now.
I never used the Flynn frame but if you google it I think for the
most part it is a lot of trouble and not worth messing with.
Taria

Old July 3rd 05, 10:36 PM
Sewingsue

Thanks, Taria.
I knew there was something I could use to raise my cutting table but
couldn't think what it was.
--
Sewingsue in Scotland
http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/cra...olar/my_photos

Old July 5th 05, 03:23 AM
Trixie

I have used a Flynn Multi Frame for about two years, and have probably done
eight quilts on it. I've gotten quite good on it, but it still drives me
nuts because of how limiting it is for me. I do a nice meander and can also
stipple, but that is it. The narrower the quilt (twin vs. queen) the easier
it is to maneuver, assuming you have different lengths of rails (I have two
sets in different lengths). I've watched the included video where John is
quilting and he does all kinds of interesting stitches, but I've never been
able to get a smooth experience from it.

Trixie

Old July 7th 05, 12:24 PM
Marijke

I have a q-snap floor frame (with the tilted back feet).

I liked it when I got it because I didn't have anything different but it
is rather ungainly. I found I used it best for working on the centres of
large quilts, then I would switch the quilt to my 18" wonderhoop to
finish it. I don't know if it would be much good for basting, to tell
you the truth - but I'm a horrible baster. A few stitches here and
there, and then a stitch and a prayer. ;-)

When I do have to baste properly, I center the backing on my kitchen or
dining room table, hanging the edges over the sides, center my batting
on that and then my top. I basted along the middle and out to the sides
and then I move the quilt over as I work.

Marijke
in Montreal

Old July 7th 05, 02:39 PM
Denise in NH

This is exactly how I do it too. My dining room table is much better
than my floor because of my lousy back. I just center the three layers
and pin baste the entire middle, then out to each side and the slippery
table top lets me maneuver the entire thing quite nicely. I've never
done a King sized quilt, but it works great for everything else.

The only time this method has given me grief was when the size of the
backing was so small that it gave me no extra fiddle room , so I used
clamps all around the edges to hold everything in place. I got a package
of these v-shaped clamps at Wal-Mart for a couple of dollars (hardware
area). They open and close like a clothes pin, but are made of hard
plastic. When my girlfriend had a larger than king size quilt to baste,
we went to my church and put 4 banquet tables together.

Denise

? Flynn frame YvetteMichele Quilting 6 May 1st 05 07:32 PM
MS Excel file for John Flynn backing formula hfw Quilting 1 December 12th 04 01:12 PM
Anyone with any experience using John Flynns Quilt frame ? TinaHoak Quilting 7 May 22nd 04 08:04 PM
Flynn Multi frame Arthur Patterson Quilting 7 October 19th 03 01:08 AM