The Voices in my Head

Old August 6th 03, 11:20 PM
Beadesignr

From: "Christina Peterson"

You know, as bad as Depression is for me, I'm glad I at least don't have
those ups and downs. I can at least anticipate a certain reaction on a
regular basis and deal with it,

Tina

The "highs" used to be somewhat fun, but now they're just frantic; always
followed by suicidal depression. And I mean _suicidal_ depression.

Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com
Beads Uncommon Lampwork
Think Uncommon Jewellery

Old August 7th 03, 02:48 AM
Deirdre S.

Me, too. I licked my demons once I found a methodology that worked.
What worked for me came by piecing things together from a variety of
models, plus some stuff that I simply did based on instinct instead of
under someone else's direction.

Imagine that you have an ultra-wise counselor available to you day and
night. All the time. What would such a dedicated guide offer in the
way of support and advice? Not just when you feel suicidal, but all
the time? Best days and worst days. No exceptions.

Deirdre

On 07 Aug 2003 00:50:22 GMT, atspam (Sjpolyclay)
wrote:

I wish you joy, somewhere.
{{{{[Evalynne}}}}}}}}
Sarajane

Old August 7th 03, 04:19 AM
Kaytee

In article , vj
writes:

"get rid of the major stressors in your life"

well, i divorced the kids' dad - - and my ulcer went away for years.

In my case, if the kids' dad was more available more often, I'd be better able
to "share" the "stress" with him... rather than have to deal with the day
in/day out problems alone. His job is 500 miles away... he's home 3 weekends
out of 4, and when he does his 2-week reserves duty. This is the closest he's
worked in the last 5 years-- and it isn't because he hasn't tried finding
something suitable, closer. Or at least, somewhere we could afford to move.
Kaytee
"Simplexities" on
www.eclecticbeadery.com
http://www.rubylane.com/shops/simplexities

Old August 7th 03, 07:49 AM
BeckiBead

well, i divorced the kids' dad - - and my ulcer went away for years.

I quit my job as a lobbyist and have far fewer migraines than i have ever had,
in my lifetime. But not all answers are that simple.

Becki
But what it sounded like
when she yelled was, "She prefers dicks". --Tina
Old August 7th 03, 04:35 PM
Beadesignr

From: Deirdre S.
Imagine that you have an ultra-wise counselor available to you day and
night. All the time.

Hmm - that's a new idea that might work.

Evalynne
http://www.beadsuncommon.com
Beads Uncommon Lampwork
Think Uncommon Jewellery

Old August 7th 03, 09:25 PM
Deirdre S.

It worked for me. But first I tried a lot of other (more traditional
things) that were only marginally helpful.

Its main advantage is that you get 'intensive care' instead saving
things up and trying to squeeze them into an hour a week. And in the
process, you develop the habit of being compassionate and helpful to
yourself in your most vulnerable areas. So, you find yourself getting
stronger in the process at a pace that is exactly right for you,
because you're setting the pace yourself. And instead of becoming
dependent on someone else, you get to be more emotionally independent.

Ironically, that improves your relationships, because you are less
needy and therefore 'safer' for others to relate to.

Deirdre

Old August 8th 03, 02:13 AM
Deirdre S.

And something that resides -within- you, and that you assimilate over
time ... gives you new resources instead of making you dependent on
someone else's resource.

That means you can get into an "I can cope" state even when your
models aren't around. I have several such guides and guardians, btw. I
can call on whoever is appropriate to the circumstances when I need
backup.

Deirdre

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 23:11:23 GMT, "Christina Peterson"
wrote:

When I told my therapist that I used him in that way, he said it was good.
That part of the job of a therapist is to model behaviour for an internal
advisor for you to develope for yourself. In Transactional Analysis, your
"Adult".

Tina

news

Old August 8th 03, 04:40 PM
Sjpolyclay

In Transactional Analysis, your
"Adult".

I always sorta liked TA....Parent, Adult, Child parts are an easy way to look
at the modalities, and seem more accessable than Ego, Id, and Superego
Sarajane

Sarajane's Polymer Clay Gallery
http://www.polyclay.com

view my auctions at:
http://www.polyclay.com/Collage/auction.htm

Old August 8th 03, 06:18 PM
laura

One of the things I've found incredibly useful is really tuning in to the
people in my life who I find push different emotional buttons, and paying
attention to my internal reactions in these interactions.

Since my family is no longer around, I can't really work through things with
them. Regardless, my inner intuitive voices will speak to me about the
interactions I'm having with others, and if I listen to that, I can connect
feelings I'm having today with things that happened long ago-- and
re-experience my early feelings in the proper contexts.

This sort of thing-- re-experiencing trauma through proxies-- has been very
helpful to me, but of course one has to be careful not to treat these people
as if they were actually the ones who caused your original pain. I believe
Alice Miller talks about something like this with regard to her own use of
the phenomenon of transference (which is what I think this is) though I
actually started doing this before I read her.

Laura

"Christina Peterson" wrote in message
When I told my therapist that I used him in that way, he said it was good.
That part of the job of a therapist is to model behaviour for an internal
advisor for you to develope for yourself. In Transactional Analysis, your
"Adult".

Tina

news