This may have been asked...

Old October 27th 04, 04:28 AM
Carol In WI

Default This may have been asked...

Does anyone know how old knitting a crocheting is? Carol In WI

Old October 27th 04, 07:56 AM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Carol !!!
Sorry i didn`t understand your question ?
mirjam

Old October 27th 04, 09:31 AM
Richard Eney

In article ,
Carol In WI wrote:
Does anyone know how old knitting a crocheting is?

Knitting has been found in Egypt and, um, whatever they're calling
Constantinople now, with Fatimid-style patterns; it goes back at least to
the eleventh century AD. Some fragments may be as early as the tenth
century AD. The finest are color-stranded patterned silk at gauges of 16
to 24 stitches per inch. The coarses are cotton tubes that are about
modern cotton sock weight, done in blue and white. In between are lots
and lots of blue and white cotton socks that are t-shirt weight or finer.
I think one very tiny fragment of silk knitting was found stuck to the
back of a pin in a Roman grave in France, dated to around 200 AD, but that
is disputed.

Anything earlier than that has always turned out to be done in nalbinding,
which can look exactly like crossed-loop knitting but which often has
increases made in a way that is impossible with knitting but very easy
with nalbinding (dont by 'sewing' the stitches with an eyed needle).

Crocheting seems to be much more recent. The earliest proven crochet
seems to be just at the end of the 18th century, as an old woman was
making slipstitch crochet undershirts for her husband in 1811. The
slipstitch technique is known over much of Europe under various names and
with some minor variations - Shepherd's Knitting, Bosnian Crochet, etc.
Modern crochet seems to have begun in the 19th century.

Crochet /might/ be earlier: the Ursuline nuns in Ireland say their branch
of that organization was started by a woman who was sent to France in the
17th century to learn crocheting from the Ursulines there, but the
authorities don't accept that version. Also, Professor Irena Turnau
quoted someone else who reported that in the Wupper Valley in the 17th
century or earlier there were eight women doing crocheting, but there is
always a problem with translating needlework terms from various European
languages: many of them don't distinguish clearly among various
techniques, partly because knitting, crocheting, etc will often be
combined in the same item.

But the English-language authorities on the subject don't accept anything
earlier than the 1811 reference for crochet.

=Tamar
Old October 27th 04, 10:09 AM
Carol In WI

Mirjam - Just looking to see have far back these crafts are dated. Who may
have started it all, did it go back to the time of God or just what. Carol
In WI

Old October 27th 04, 02:46 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Hum ,,, Tamar ,,,,, Constantinople ,, is now Istanbul , and it is in
Turkey ,, the oldest knitting comes from Dura-Eoropus and this is in
Morth East Syrya .

Old October 27th 04, 02:47 PM
Mirjam Bruck-Cohen

Oh I have loads of that materials , if i haven`t deleted it i will
send it ,,
mirjam

Old October 27th 04, 04:16 PM
KATHLEEN HANCOCK

Oh, I'm convinced God is a crocheter!
And St. Peter does macrame, Thomas is into nalbinding and, oh yes, the BVM
Mary knits! Mary Magdelene is a mean quilter, too.
--
Kathleen
Currently in Blountville TN

Sure I can knit... hand me that knitting loom! But you know, the meaning of
life really is in a granny square.

Old October 27th 04, 04:18 PM
spampot

Carol In WI wrote:
Does anyone know how old knitting a crocheting is? Carol In WI

Do a search for Ranee's "Arabian Knits" page and you'll find some
fascinating material. Or search Google groups for previous discussions
here!
Old October 27th 04, 11:05 PM
Els van Dam

In article et,
"KATHLEEN HANCOCK" wrote:

Oh, I'm convinced God is a crocheter!
And St. Peter does macrame, Thomas is into nalbinding and, oh yes, the BVM
Mary knits! Mary Magdelene is a mean quilter, too. you fogot kumihimo

braiding, but I can tell you that was old hat, and done thousands of years
ago, in South America as well as China.....good sure is a busy man

Els

--
hate spam not welcome
Old October 28th 04, 03:36 PM
Allaya Diep

LOL! I'd like to think that! But that brings up a good question...is
there a patron saint for knitting, crocheting, spinning, etc?

Allaya

nk.net...

You asked for it: Pics Tinkster Beads 37 January 21st 04 05:59 AM
I've been asked Queen of Squishies Quilting 7 January 1st 04 09:03 PM
asked for web site as Christmas gift Susan Laity Price Quilting 9 November 18th 03 02:37 PM