Quilting Software Census for Virtual Swaps and Round Robins

Old August 31st 05, 03:36 AM
Cheryl

Default Quilting Software Census for Virtual Swaps and Round Robins

Well, since no-one has posted any objections to this - here's the list of
questions. Please send the replies to me - not the rctq. Anyone new to the
group who doesn't know how to send an email response please ask through rctq
without answering the questions, and someone will post instructions or email
you direct.

When I get all the answers I will compile the list and email it to everyone
on the list. I will also post a regular notice on rctq saying the list is
available. As more people acquire software they may need help and the list
could provide some familiar contacts. And even those considering such a
purchase may like to have a list of "friends" they can ask about the
different packages available.

Since "virtual" swaps are done by file transfer, if anyone knows of any size
limits applied by their ISPs, be aware you may have a problem downstream.
It's rare these days, but still happens. We will circulate a test file to
find out when all the answers come in and sort out any hassles then.

We will also have to address the problem of different versions of sof****e
(eg. EQ5 reads EQ4, but EQ4 does not read EQ5). I assume the same would
apply to Quilt Pro. But let's sort out who has what first.

This list will not be posted to rctq unless it is asked for and agreed by
all
on the list at the time.

Just fill in your answers under the questions. I know most have sent me at
least some info but it is scattered over a total of 197 emails and posts now
(and still counting), and I need to get it sorted out! I have no problem
with my details being known so I have filled in my responses. Just overtype
my answers with yours.
____________________________

The list looks long but it isn't really. I am just trying to cover all
bases in one hit.
____________________________

name you want to be referred to by (probably your rctq "handle"):
## cheryl in oz

email address (include any "NOSPAM" text you want to protect yourself but
please let me know what needs to be removed - I have had trouble getting in
touch with a couple of people because some of it wasn't obvious to me - duh!
dummy me):
##

msg or other im access:
## "catsatararat" on Yahoo

software you have including version (eg. EQ4.1 or QP)
## EQ3, 4 and 5 (now use mostly EQ5)

additional software (eg. Judy Martin Stars, Block Base, QMN)
##
Judy Martin Stars
Karen Stone
Sew Precise
Block Base
Stash (various)
Classic Applique - Folk and Baltimore
QMN projects

expertise - one being real newbie and four being "long time user"
## probably a 3.2

willing to help newbies by im or email - yes or no
## yes, absolutely

want help to learn basics - yes or no
## probably no

want help to expand use of beyond the basics - yes or no
## yes, always interested in learning

interested in a virtual block swap - yes or no (everyone designs one block,
we all swap and design a virtual quilt, then show our designs)
## yes

interested in a virtual Round Robin - yes or no (same as RR quiltmaking,
you design the centre and pass on, we design borders, you get finished
design back)
## yes

NOTE: Anyone taking part in a swap of files has to be aware they are giving
access to their design, so be clear about that. If you want to keep
"ownership" of a design (say, for publication as a professional designer) DO
NOT send the design around in a swap.

The suggestion was made that a buddy system would help newbies. If you want
a one-on-one contact to help you learn, or you are willing to be a contact
for helping someone else, tell me here.
## I am happy to tutor anyone having problems if I can. I have different
versions of EQ in different directories so I can "translate" most files
between versions if needed

If anyone has any additional ideas or suggestions for "swaps" please drop a
few words in here.
##

--

Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^
U U U

(Don'y forget to replace the DOT)

Old August 31st 05, 03:39 AM
Cheryl

Anyone who is considering buying software and would like contacts to talk
to - just add your name to the "census" and we will happily share whatever
info and experience we have

--

Cheryl ^;;^ ^;;^ ^;;^

Old August 31st 05, 09:44 PM
nzlstar*

hi cathy,
this needs to be sent to cheryl so she can collate all the folks replys into
one file on her puter and send out the results to all those who do reply.
its also a good idea to despam your return email addy when posting to the
newsgroup.
i can see you use mozilla and i've not a clue how to do it there, sorry.
maybe one of the folks on the list cheryl is putting together can advise on
this. i use outlook express to read/post to the ng.
have fun,
jeanne
using yahoo msg'r is a real bonus cuz you can work together in real time,
instantly rather than wait for emails that might not be as clear to you as
you'd like
--
san-fran at ihug dot co dot nz
nzlstar on yahoo msg'r

"Cathy" wrote...

name you want to be referred to by (probably your rctq "handle"):
## Cathy in Vancouver

email address (include any "NOSPAM" text you want to protect yourself but
please let me know what needs to be removed - I have had trouble getting
in
touch with a couple of people because some of it wasn't obvious to me -
duh!
dummy me):
##

msg or other im access:
## software you have including version (eg. EQ4.1 or QP)
## EQ5

additional software (eg. Judy Martin Stars, Block Base, QMN)
##
Judy Martin Stars

expertise - one being real newbie and four being "long time user"
## 2.5

willing to help newbies by im or email - yes or no
## no

want help to learn basics - yes or no
## no

want help to expand use of beyond the basics - yes or no
## no

interested in a virtual block swap - yes or no (everyone designs one
block,
we all swap and design a virtual quilt, then show our designs)
## yes

interested in a virtual Round Robin - yes or no (same as RR
quiltmaking,
you design the centre and pass on, we design borders, you get finished
design back)
## yes

The suggestion was made that a buddy system would help newbies. If you
want
a one-on-one contact to help you learn, or you are willing to be a
contact
for helping someone else, tell me here.
## . . .

Old August 31st 05, 10:42 PM
Anne in CA

Mozilla works like Netscape used to. hit "reply all" and the sender's
email address will show in the To field. delete the Newsgroup line and
the mail will go only to the original poster. email me if you need
clearer instructions -- change n3t to net above :-)

)O( Anne in CA )O(
"It's not having what you want; it's wanting what you've got." -- Sheryl
Crow
http://community.webshots.com/user/annerudolph3
http://home.covad.net/~arudolph/annes.htm

nzlstar* wrote:
hi cathy,
this needs to be sent to cheryl so she can collate all the folks replys into
one file on her puter and send out the results to all those who do reply.
its also a good idea to despam your return email addy when posting to the
newsgroup.
i can see you use mozilla and i've not a clue how to do it there, sorry.
maybe one of the folks on the list cheryl is putting together can advise on
this. i use outlook express to read/post to the ng.
have fun,
jeanne
using yahoo msg'r is a real bonus cuz you can work together in real time,
instantly rather than wait for emails that might not be as clear to you as
you'd like

Quilting software Dana Simison Quilting 9 October 19th 04 09:11 PM
Quilting Software Packages Alan Johnson Quilting 10 August 29th 04 04:16 PM
Quilting software Audrey Eischens Quilting 16 November 3rd 03 11:32 PM
quilting software Laurie G. Quilting 6 October 27th 03 01:06 AM
Quilting Software Andrea Quilting 2 October 25th 03 11:05 PM