sort of a newbie with a question

Old May 11th 04, 03:35 AM
Jean Early

Default sort of a newbie with a question

Hello! I'm sort of a newbie -- have only posted a couple of times. I
lurk a lot and appreciate the lack of "flame wars" here....

I have just completed a shawl for my mother-in-law, who has
alzheimers. I have a lot of yarn left, and my husband suggested that
I knit some slippers for her as well.

Could anyone suggest a relatively simple slipper pattern that an
inexperienced knitter could successfully make??

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jean
Old May 11th 04, 03:38 AM
Janise Ross

Hi Jean,
Welcome. The only slippers I have made were felted, and they came out
different sizes, even though they were made the same and felted at the same
time. I know there are others out here who have made slippers, so maybe
they can help.

Janise

Old May 11th 04, 05:16 AM
Spike Driver

"Jean Early" wrote in message
Hello! I'm sort of a newbie -- have only posted a couple of times. I
lurk a lot and appreciate the lack of "flame wars" here....

I have just completed a shawl for my mother-in-law, who has
alzheimers. I have a lot of yarn left, and my husband suggested that
I knit some slippers for her as well.

Could anyone suggest a relatively simple slipper pattern that an
inexperienced knitter could successfully make??

Thanks in advance for your time.

Jean

Jean,

You will not find a pattern easier to kint than this and like is says even
the men like this pattern.

http://knitting.about.com/library/blslippers.htm

Let me know if you like the pattern and use it.

I have made over 50 of them. I use non skid paste you apply to cloth rugs
to keep them from sliding. Go to any fabric shop or the big W place and
tell them you want the stuff to put on rugs to stop them from skidding, they
will know what you mean. There is several brands. I did several dozen for
a Senior ciitizen's home for Christmas. Thay loved them! They were
comfortable and did not slide. Best of all they are easy to store and put
on.

God bless,
Dennis

God bless,
Dennis.

Old May 11th 04, 09:06 AM
Spike Driver

"Gwendoline Kelly" wrote in message
u...
Thank you Dennis - I know I did not ask for the help but I am sure you

will
not mind if I make the pattern - our winter is just starting and I had
thought of knitting some slippers but I never like the way they slip - but
you have given the answer and a really easy pattern as well - Thank You

God
bless Gwen

--

Gwen Kelly

"Spike Driver" wrote in message

"Jean Early" wrote in message
[...]

Gwen,

It works out great. I have posted it here before, I am glad I could help
you. Really all you have to do is dot it on. Like the hospital non-slip
socks they give you.

Let me know how it works for you please.

God bless,
Dennis

Old May 11th 04, 09:59 AM
CMM PDX2

Jean wrote:

I have just completed a shawl for my mother-in-law, who has
alzheimers. I have a lot of yarn left, and my husband
suggested that I knit some slippers for her as well.

Could anyone suggest a relatively simple slipper pattern that
an inexperienced knitter could successfully make??

Well, I hate to contradict Dennis (grins and waves at Dennis, tongue firmly in
cheek - I know he can take a joke g), but there's another pattern that
*might* be even easier to knit than the link he kindly provided. (of course, it
could be just how your mind works. g) It's the Comfy Slipper pattern at:

http://www.white-works.com/slippers.htm

Main diff is no purling whatsoever, and instead of fold-over cuffs, the cuffs
stand up like socks; they stay on really well. The pattern recommends 4 strands
of worsted wt. yarn and US #13 needles, but I find that a bit difficult to work
with, and too tight to knit easily, even with the big needles. So I go down to
3 strands and #11's to make a man's size 9-11. (they stretch. g) For average
women's sizes, I do the same, but use about three rows less in the main foot
section. Smaller sizes, I go down to #10's, but still use 3 strands of worsted.
These are very warm, stay on quite nicely, and work up really fast. Plus look
really pretty when you use a couple of different yarns; especially when one or
two of the strands is a multi-color. I've made umpteen pairs of these, and
people just love them. Including me.

And of course, you can use Dennis's very useful suggestion about the non-skid
stuff on any slippers; that's a very good idea. If you can't find the non-skid
rug stuff locally, try fabric puff paint. It'll work too, but has one
drawback...if the slippers are washed/dried on too high a heat, the puff paint
crumbles and wears off! I guess it needs an application of heat at first to
make it puff, but after that, it likes cooler temps. (never tried it myself,
but vaguely remember reading the directions on bottles long ago.) The rug stuff
is much better quality, from what I've heard. But hey, if you desperately need
a substitute, at least there's something!

Monica

CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html

Old May 11th 04, 01:24 PM
Jean Early

Thank you all so very much! I have printed off both patterns suggested
and will give them a try.

She's confined to bed/wheelchair, so the "slipping" issue isn't really
big. I was just looking for something to keep her feet warm that I
could knit up in a relatively short period of time.

I do know how to knit socks, but I'm *very* slow at them! I
actually have a pair I'm working on now. (I refer to myself as having
knitting/stitching ADD -- once that new project rears its head, I have
no concentration left for what I've been working on....).

I appreciate your time and help!

Jean