Regarding an RCTY yahoogroup

Old November 6th 03, 12:39 AM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default Regarding an RCTY yahoogroup

First, I am compelled to stick up for Melody here, she IS NOT
trying to fix something that ain't broke!!!
There's been a THREAD asking for a site for us to post personal
photo's on... so that we can get a look-see at one another.
Two people offered to design, one offered to open a yahoo album,
and Melody RE-offered to do a yahoogroup site.
Since the other three didn't seem to do more than offer, Melody
jumped in, and I don't think she was wrong to do so! If you look
at her post, you'll see that already 5 or 6 ppl want IN.
JM2C,
Noreen
BTW, the 6 x 6 management team was/is considering doing the same
thing for the 6 x 6 exchange ONLY, basically to unclog this NG!!!

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.
Old November 6th 03, 02:51 AM
SlinkyToy

Ok, but my basic point on the latest thread about coughing up personal
info is: What guarantee do we have that the delivery method is going
to be SECURE?

Yahoogroups are great, Yahoogroups are fine, I belong to several. Too
many to keep up with actually, so unless something really juicy and
related to my interests comes along I probably won't join another.
RCTY isn't clogged, but then again I'm on a fairly fat pipe so
downloading messages isn't one of those "go eat dinner while it
happens" affairs as it may be for others.

Firing up a Yahoogroup is NOT the solution for that problem, however,
unless you enjoy having to suck down all the crap that Yahoo tacks
onto every message, whether that message be read via the website or
whether you suck down digests or individual emails. Text-only groups
such as RCTY are far nicer to your bandwidth (ie, faster to download
over a slowish dialup connection) than any version of a Yahoogroup
will be.

And yes, Melody/Angelicsong HAS pushed a Yahoogroup, back in June.
The basic concensus then seemed to be "what's the point, RCTY *is* a
group". She's not currently (that I've seen, but I don't read every
single message every day) offering to run a Yahoogroup, but she's
asking people to send her information that could, were it to fall into
the wrong hands, cause the providers a world of grief.

So this time it isn't a Yahoogroup. She wants us to send her personal
information so she can post it on a poorly-protected web page. At
least with Yahoogroups there is an OPTION to make a list members-only.
A webpage with .htaccess/.htpass protection on it is simply a target
waiting to be breached by any teenybopper with 20 minutes on his
hands.

Don't you think, in a wee corner of your mind, that it is odd for a
person who posts on RCTY a total of maybe 15 times in 6 months and
didn't exist for the group prior to June to be asking you for the
information she's asking for? I shouldn't be the only person pointing
this out, and I shouldn't be the only person concerned that somebody
who is essentially a stranger to the group wants this info.

II've been paid for a lot of years to be a goat among sheep so I find
it difficult NOT to be a goat even when I'm not being paid. I'd guess
after nearly 40 years that I'd just admit I'm a goat and be done with
it, but it is more fun to be PAID to be a goat.

But hey, do what you want. I'll go back to stressing over my first
show this weekend and polishing bazillion hand-made knitting needles
when I should be doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen.

Old November 7th 03, 03:04 PM
Karen

"SlinkyToy" wrote in message
But hey, do what you want. I'll go back to stressing over my first
show this weekend and polishing bazillion hand-made knitting needles
when I should be doing laundry and cleaning the kitchen.

Can I ask about those hand-made knitting needles? What are they made of?
Do you make them yourself?

I've only used regular standard metal needles, addi turbos and occasionally
some Clover bamboos. My instructor at my lace class had these AWESOME
ornate handled, dark wood needles -- I was going to ask her about them
before she left, but didn't get a chance to.

Karen in MN

Old November 7th 03, 04:57 PM
Agres

It is fairly easy to make handmade wooden needles by buying wood dowel at a
hobby or lumber shop. Then the ends can be either whittled down with a knife
or shaped with a pencil sharpener. Sanding the new needles with sand paper
(available in hardware shops) is important. I sand with "100", "180", and
"320." Then I polish with extra fine steel wool, then with a bit of canvas
or brown paper. For "knots" on the end of SPN, I often use little wooded
door pulls, although one bunch that I made as gifts had cedar acorns on the
ends. The knots are glued on with carpenters glue.

I like to finish my needles with tung oil and then wax them, but I think
many of the folks in the group just wax their hand made needles. Just
making one pair of needles will likely be more expensive than just buying
them, but when you are making needles in several sizes for all the nieces
and aunts, the price will go down to like $0.55/pair plus labor. Making your
first pair will take all morning, but I made 20 DPN in 1.5 hours the other
day. (Those needles are just the right size so that 14 x 20 stitches
knitted in Lopi on them will FELT down to 4"x4". Can't buy that size
needle!) Home made needles are good for slippery yarns and knitting while
you walk because the stitches are less likely to fall off. They are also
very good for experimenting with different needle point shapes. But if you
are just sitting there knitting, your hand made wooden needles are going to
be slower than you addies!

The fancy black needles that you instructor had were turned from black
walnut. These are no longer being made, but they still show up for sale -
often NIP. If you really want some, look on eBay. Recent prices have been
on the order of $55.

Old November 7th 03, 05:48 PM
Karen

Oh that sounds FUN to do! Thanks so much for the info, I'm going to have to
try this!

Karen in MN

m...

Old November 8th 03, 03:06 PM
Michele

Wow, thanks for sharing. This sounds very interesting. I might want to try
it. I like the idea of double pointed wooden needles in different lengths
that I don't have to sell body parts to be able to afford!

Peace,
Michele in KY

m...

Old November 9th 03, 03:20 AM
SlinkyToy

Wooden dowels from the hardware store, pencil sharpener (or sharp
knife), sandpaper. Add beads for straights.

Sounds like your lace instructor had some walnut Brittany needles.
Discontinued, unfortunately. The birch Brittanies are nice but lack
character.

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:04:02 -0600, "Karen"
wrote:

.. .

Old November 9th 03, 03:22 AM
SlinkyToy

I can buy dowel for less than a dollar, and I've got bazillion grades
of sandpaper that I've collected over the years. I use 100, 180, then
go straight to 400+ and finish with Briwax. Wonderful stuff, Briwax.

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 16:57:28 GMT, "Agres"
wrote:

[...]

"Karen" wrote in message
m...

OT rcty Gillian Murray Needlework 197 February 2nd 04 01:52 PM
Liked Norma's and New RCTY site Angelicsong Yarn 19 November 8th 03 03:32 AM
Regarding 'queens' in RCTY Noreen's Knit*che Yarn 0 July 19th 03 03:05 PM
New RCTY group starting G.Kelly Yarn 0 July 2nd 03 08:14 AM