KoolAid dye question...

Old October 13th 03, 03:10 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Default KoolAid dye question...

OK, so what's the recipe for dying yarn using KoolAid?
TIA,
Noreen

--
STRIP *tease* to email me.
Old October 13th 03, 04:26 PM
SlinkyToy

Get the fiber thoroughly wet. Sprinkle on Koolaid for spotty effects,
or mix one packet Koolaid with one cup of water and a splash of
vinegar, or enough water to cover the fiber/yarn. Heat-set in the
microwave.

Old October 13th 03, 04:59 PM
Janise Ross

Try this website....

http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koo...sic-howto.html

Janise

t...

Old October 13th 03, 06:42 PM
Stitchbug

Color Chart is he
http://www.thepiper.com/fiberart/koolaid/
I did try this using Lambs Pride white wool and was amazed at the bright
colors that resulted. I'll tell you what though, I sure will never *drink*
that stuff again!
Stitchbug

Old October 14th 03, 04:01 AM
Cori

Will the Kool Aid dye work on store bought white acrylic yarn?

Got me curious again lol.

Hugs,
Cori

--
If my address reads spammers r stupid then give me a shout on line.
If my address reads yahoo delete no spam to email me back.

---

Old October 14th 03, 04:42 AM
SlinkyToy

Probably not. Koolaid is an acid dye and AFAIK it only works on
protein fibers. Possibly cotton (cellulosic), most likely not on
synthetics. Can't hurt to try tho.

Old October 14th 03, 12:32 PM
Randee

Noreen's Knit*che wrote in message et...
OK, so what's the recipe for dying yarn using KoolAid?

I've found this http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/7212/koolaid.htm to be a
very simple and effective way for dyeing with Kool-Aid. I use the
microwave method and wool just soaks up the dye. I get beautiful
mottled results.
Old October 14th 03, 12:33 PM
Randee

SlinkyToy wrote in message . ..
Probably not. Koolaid is an acid dye and AFAIK it only works on
protein fibers. Possibly cotton (cellulosic), most likely not on
synthetics. Can't hurt to try tho.

Didn't work well on cotton at all in my experience.
Old October 14th 03, 01:05 PM
CMM PDX2

Cori wrote:

Will the Kool Aid dye work on store bought white acrylic yarn?

Nope. That's a manufactured fiber made from, basically, plastic - or whatever,
I'm not a chemical engineer, but you get the idea. It's colored in the chemical
process as it's made, like polyester is. Union dyes like RIT supposedly will
give at least pastel colors on acrylic, but even that's iffy. Plus, the heat
necessary will likely 'kill' the acrylic, making it lose its 'bounce.' This can
be great if you want the end product to be really drapey, and do it
deliberately; but not if you want the yarn to keep its body. If you've ever
washed an acrylic sweater in a too-hot machine cycle, or dried one on too high
a setting, you'll know what I mean.

Kool-Aid's an acid dye, so works on protein fibers - wool, silk, llama, alpaca,
etc. It won't take well on vegetable fibers like cotton or rayon; you'll get
more muted colors and it'll most likely fade with every wash, eventually
getting grayish, like Kool-Aid stains on your favorite cotton-poly T-shirt do.
(they don't come *out* easily - they just end up looking yucky after umpteen
washings. g i.e., it stains, it doesn't dye, when it comes to veg. fibers.)
Plus it'll fade faster from exposure to light on vegetable fibers than it will
on protein fibers.

Monica
(the font of half-remembered, fairly-useless trivia ::snerk:
CMMPDX2 at aol
remove 'eat.spam' to email me
---------
"No, that isn't me you saw - I'm not here, I'm incognito!" (Me, Myself & I)
Support our Troops!!
http://www.wtv-zone.com/kjsb/bataan.html
Old October 14th 03, 02:42 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

Thanks everyone, but here's another Q: won't it FELT the wool using a
microwave?
Sorry to be so 'dumb' about this, but I'd hate to make a mistake and ruin
good wool.
Hugs,
Noreen

---